Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need help: Radiator Flush Fail...leaking around water pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11, 06:52 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help: Radiator Flush Fail...leaking around water pump

So today sucked. I finally had time to work on my 1999 sc300 and thought I should flush the radiator. So I removed the radiator plug from the bottom and drained about ONLY 1/2 gallon. Next I tried to drain the coolant from the block. I found the plug on the block but couldn't drain it properly because I didn't have a proper hose to connect to it After draining as much as I could I put some radiator flush liquid and water in it. As the water started to reach the top of the radiator cap I started hearing water leaking. Oh chit man, I thought to myself. It seemed it was coming from between the water pump and alternator.

History of car: Overheated once, steamed from hood, and mechanic said it was a blown head gasket. All btw happened when I was out of the country and car was being used by family friend. Yes I think he owes me a head gasket job ($2500 or keep it and swap a gte ) but we have a business relationship with him and that would burn some bridges. Anyways oil level is fine, coolant is fine of what was left, and it struggles to start but does after I give it a little gas.

So finally the question is:
A) Are there any coolant lines around the water pump?
B) Would the water pump leak even if the car wasn't started?
C) Whats your advice?
Old 04-03-11, 04:36 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm not sure I understand...

you haven't driven it since this happened? (the overheating)

Did you get the drain plug put back in?

The drain plug on the block doesn't require a hose, you just pull it out and the coolant pours out...

It sounds like the thing was terribly low on coolant - when pulling the radiator drain plug, you should get probably a full gallon out of the radiator alone, and, there will be coolant come from the upper and lower hoses, essentially almost all of it, save for what sits in the lower parts of the block where it pools...
Old 04-03-11, 05:02 AM
mak89
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I'm not sure I understand...

you haven't driven it since this happened? (the overheating)

Did you get the drain plug put back in?

The drain plug on the block doesn't require a hose, you just pull it out and the coolant pours out...

It sounds like the thing was terribly low on coolant - when pulling the radiator drain plug, you should get probably a full gallon out of the radiator alone, and, there will be coolant come from the upper and lower hoses, essentially almost all of it, save for what sits in the lower parts of the block where it pools...
No I havent driven it since it happened. Got school.... couldn't mess with it. Planning on doing compression test on cylinders once I get time. Yeah the two plugs where placed back correctly before I poured water into it. It was leaking from a completely different location than the drain plug/bolts. It was leaking from the water pump which I didn't touch. Im thinking its the wp gasket or some coolant line that I haven't found yet.
Old 04-03-11, 05:26 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

So, most likely your overheat was caused by a leaky water pump... fair enough, sounds like your friend didn't kill your car, at least not his fault...

most likely not the gasket, but, the pump itself...

replace the pump, refill with coolant, see what happens... those are tough motors and I've seen them that have been overheated multiple times without issue...

from here on out, before doing maintenance (flush), check the fluid levels and at least make sure they are correct first...
Old 04-03-11, 08:06 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
So, most likely your overheat was caused by a leaky water pump... fair enough, sounds like your friend didn't kill your car, at least not his fault...

most likely not the gasket, but, the pump itself...

replace the pump, refill with coolant, see what happens... those are tough motors and I've seen them that have been overheated multiple times without issue...

from here on out, before doing maintenance (flush), check the fluid levels and at least make sure they are correct first...
Thanks for the help. I had the chance to check it out again today and it was coming from the water pump relief hose which I couldn't see the other day because it was dark.
Old 04-04-11, 03:38 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would fill it up as much as you can and start the car. If you have a blown head gasket you may see white smoke coming from the tail pipe.
The weakest head gasket spot on the 2J is between cylinder 5 & 6.
Old 04-04-11, 05:45 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VVT-i
I would fill it up as much as you can and start the car. If you have a blown head gasket you may see white smoke coming from the tail pipe.
The weakest head gasket spot on the 2J is between cylinder 5 & 6.
Cool, thanks I was wondering where the weakest point might be. There is no smoke coming, engine oil looks good, and the coolant I drained didn't have oil and wasn't milky, it was pure. When ever I cap off the radiator it pours through the water pump relief hole. So its for sure a bad water pump. Im still planning doing a compression test on the cylinders once I research enough to take that damn throttle body off (2jzge vvti.) looks like pita.