Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 07:18 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by shoulin
In reference to the fuel rail, how do you depressurize the fuel or do you just open the cap? Sorry but its my first time doing Injectors.
opening the fuel cap wont do anything, but I just undo one of the fuel line fittings (usually the banjo bolt fitting) - there might be a little fuel spray but no big deal, just dont do it with hot exhaust...
Old 02-07-13, 12:59 PM
shoulin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey what type of wrench do I need to remove this bracket on the side; it looks like an engine hoist. 01 gs430
Old 02-14-13, 10:38 PM
peralwht
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
Just bought 2001 is300 with check engine light on. Codes are P0161, P0171 & P0174

Ok, just installed o2 sensor B2S2, new spark plugs and clean out MAF. Clear one code P0161 (o2 B2S2) but still show P0171 & P0174. Cleaned the MAF again and now the car is hesitating, rough idle, and poor power. Check to see if there was any vacuum leak, couldn't hear or see any indication. I notice that the MAF had a sticker indicating that its a Remanufacture one. Wondering if it defective. Is there a way to test the MAF sensor? Any help is much appreciated cuz I have to get this car smog. Thanks
Old 02-19-13, 05:21 PM
shoulin
Driver School Candidate

I have an 01 gs430 and need to replace the #1 and #6 coils can anyone tell me where #1 and #6 are located??
Old 03-17-13, 09:24 AM
Un4Scene
Driver School Candidate

Default Traction control light + CEL?

I recently bought a '93 SC400 with ~208k on it - all stock, aside from the stereo. It runs and drives surprisingly well for the mileage/age. However, a couple of warning lights came on a couple of days ago. I was cruising at about 65, and I punched it to pass a car. The transmission kicked down twice, and on the second down-shift the trac light and the CEL both came on at the same time, and have stayed on ever since (about 100 miles). I haven't noticed any difference in the way it runs or drives since then, but I haven't cleared the codes yet. I'm guessing this is either a transmission issue, or a wheel speed sensor issue, but I don't have all that much experience with Lexus's (Lexuses, Lexii... ?) yet. Any other ideas or opinions?

Thanks!
Old 03-17-13, 04:42 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Un4Scene
I recently bought a '93 SC400 with ~208k on it - all stock, aside from the stereo. It runs and drives surprisingly well for the mileage/age. However, a couple of warning lights came on a couple of days ago. I was cruising at about 65, and I punched it to pass a car. The transmission kicked down twice, and on the second down-shift the trac light and the CEL both came on at the same time, and have stayed on ever since (about 100 miles). I haven't noticed any difference in the way it runs or drives since then, but I haven't cleared the codes yet. I'm guessing this is either a transmission issue, or a wheel speed sensor issue, but I don't have all that much experience with Lexus's (Lexuses, Lexii... ?) yet. Any other ideas or opinions?

Thanks!
Yup, need the codes... no time to post a how to right now, but if you search on here, you will find the information on how to pull codes...

Personally, I would unhook the battery for 30 seconds to clear them, then go out and try it again, see what happens...
Old 03-20-13, 03:38 PM
Un4Scene
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Yup, need the codes... no time to post a how to right now, but if you search on here, you will find the information on how to pull codes...

Personally, I would unhook the battery for 30 seconds to clear them, then go out and try it again, see what happens...
Yeah, I know how to read the codes, and how to clear them. When I posted before, I didn't realize that the TRAC light always came on with the CEL, so I thought the CEL was related to something in the drivetrain. Now that I know that, I know I can treat it like any other CEL - which means step 1 is to clear it and see if it comes back. lol

Thanks for the response!

~Laken

PS: Anyone know where to find parts to repair front-end damage, aside from a junk yard? Due to some jackass trying to pick a fight with me on the road, I need things like the headlight support assembly, re-bar, absorber, etc..., and my usual source doesn't carry parts for vehicles this old. /sigh
Old 04-03-13, 09:46 AM
deathsquad
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

I need some serious help guys.

I bought this GS with 75k on it and I noticed the timing and crank seals were going bad and I decided to invest in a timing belt/seal/water pump swap after reading a bit on the forums.

This local mechanic did a bad job I think because I went on a 1000 mile road trip and now it's leaking twice as bad inside the timing cover, down the front of it and pooling on the lower splash guard underneath the car. In fact, the timing gears are coated lightly as well as the belt itself.

I paid him $663.xx for the repair and I'm a poor college student with no more money and a leaking car. Now Im worried the timing belt is ruined because it has oil on it.

Any insight would be great, I haven't called or been back to the shop but I plan on doing that today after getting you guys' opinions. Thanks Club Lexus brahs.

Here's a photo gallery of the problem http://imgur.com/a/xLieS

Last edited by deathsquad; 04-03-13 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-03-13, 08:42 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by deathsquad
I need some serious help guys.

I bought this GS with 75k on it and I noticed the timing and crank seals were going bad and I decided to invest in a timing belt/seal/water pump swap after reading a bit on the forums.

This local mechanic did a bad job I think because I went on a 1000 mile road trip and now it's leaking twice as bad inside the timing cover, down the front of it and pooling on the lower splash guard underneath the car. In fact, the timing gears are coated lightly as well as the belt itself.

I paid him $663.xx for the repair and I'm a poor college student with no more money and a leaking car. Now Im worried the timing belt is ruined because it has oil on it.

Any insight would be great, I haven't called or been back to the shop but I plan on doing that today after getting you guys' opinions. Thanks Club Lexus brahs.

Here's a photo gallery of the problem http://imgur.com/a/xLieS
I'd take it back and demand them to fix it... I know if you were my customer and you were standing in front of me and I had just done those seals, they would be re-done at no cost to you... Unless there is some sort of wear on the cam that caused even a new seal to leak, which is very uncommon on these motors, the only reason would be installer error, which can and does happen on those seals...

Timing belt is junk, btw, it needs tossed if it gets any oil on it at all...
Old 05-11-13, 06:47 PM
sjm79902
Driver School Candidate

Hello I recently had a 2jzgte swap in my 98 gs300 everything came out fine except my temperature is not reading. Ive change the sensor out, an checked all wiring not sure what else to do
Old 06-05-13, 08:31 AM
MoncefGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexustmo
Former lexus Technician!
98 GS400, will crank, but no start.

Car has spark, I pulled the rear seats and I cannot hear the fuel pump prime. Tried bypassing the fuel pump ECU in the trunk to deliver +12v directly to the fuel pump with no success. Is the fuel pump bad or am I looking at something else?
Old 06-05-13, 08:11 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by sjm79902
Hello I recently had a 2jzgte swap in my 98 gs300 everything came out fine except my temperature is not reading. Ive change the sensor out, an checked all wiring not sure what else to do
The coolant temp gauge is multiplexed - it will not work without the factory ecu in the car...
Old 06-22-13, 09:03 PM
derosa
Driver School Candidate

Smile p0500

Hi there,

I have a 1996 es300 lexus that is other a X1 or Z1 on start up i place the car in gear and it hardly moves the rev taco moves rev's out to 6-7000 and the car travels only 5km per hour on the road and slowly decrease to 0km the engine warning light comes on and then the o/d icon flashes. Once the car reaches the operating temp the car goes back to normal and drives fine, i recently done a diagnostic assessment and it came back with two codes P0500 vehicle speed sensor problem and p0758 shift solenoid "b" current fault.

please can you help
peter
Old 06-25-13, 08:45 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so i got p0325 which is knock sensor on 2000 es300. just wondering if i were to leave it as it is since its a very long and expensive work is that ok. i do see any problem with driving or gas mpg. i did delete them once but it came back on after like 2 weeks or so. thanks
Old 06-25-13, 05:43 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by imherenow
so i got p0325 which is knock sensor on 2000 es300. just wondering if i were to leave it as it is since its a very long and expensive work is that ok. i do see any problem with driving or gas mpg. i did delete them once but it came back on after like 2 weeks or so. thanks
If I recall, when there are knock sensor codes, the computer goes to a fail safe mode, in which it pulls timing the same was as if it was knocking... this doesn't harm anything directly, though fuel economy can suffer as well as reduced engine power...

Quick Reply: Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)