Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

93 SC400 AC Compressor Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11 | 08:30 PM
brad11140
Pole Position

Default 93 SC400 AC Compressor Oil Question

I have did a complete refurb on this car. Replaced the expansion valve when I had everything apart and now I am going to replace the receiver/dryer. IN the tech manual it says to replace compressor oil if the dryer has been replaced.

So I just want to verify a few things. I am going to take it to a shop for recharge.

Do I put some of the oil in the drier prior to reinstall. I have read that the other half of the required amount goes on the low side of the compressor. Would that be the suction side??

Is the oil addition typically something the shop will do as part of the recharge labor?

Prior to teardown my system was not getting super cold. Would come and go. Per my tech manual my freon appeared low. So rather than find out that the expansion valve and receiver needed replaced later, I did it now when it was easy to access.
Old 05-06-11 | 06:56 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by brad11140
I have did a complete refurb on this car. Replaced the expansion valve when I had everything apart and now I am going to replace the receiver/dryer. IN the tech manual it says to replace compressor oil if the dryer has been replaced.

So I just want to verify a few things. I am going to take it to a shop for recharge.

Do I put some of the oil in the drier prior to reinstall. I have read that the other half of the required amount goes on the low side of the compressor. Would that be the suction side??

Is the oil addition typically something the shop will do as part of the recharge labor?

Prior to teardown my system was not getting super cold. Would come and go. Per my tech manual my freon appeared low. So rather than find out that the expansion valve and receiver needed replaced later, I did it now when it was easy to access.
You need to find out how much oil is in the receiver/drier, then add that amount back to the system...

The oil kinda distributes itself around the system, some sitting in the compressor, some lining the hoses and lines, and of course, some in the receiver/drier. Since you don't know how much is in the rest of the system, you need to find out how much you are removing and add that same amount back to it... Go ahead and put it directly into the drier...