Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

cleaning headliner

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-02, 05:20 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question cleaning headliner

The previous owner of my car left the sunshield open all the time on the underside of the moonroof - I close it to keep sun out of the interior, and there's a line across the sunshield - right where it disappears into the headliner when the shield is open (am I making sense here?) that I want to clean off.

Has anybody cleaned the headliner with good results? If so, what did you use? That dark line shows only slightly, and I don't want any attempt to clean it to just end up making it look worse than it does now - -

Thanks !

Last edited by strongsail; 09-07-02 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-07-02, 05:56 PM
Lvangundy

Is it dirt or a 'tan line' ?

If it's a sun fade or whatever it may not go away with a clearning. If it's dirt try using a steam cleaner with the neck attachment. If you want to make it easy and difficult at the same time remove the headliner and clean it outside of the car.
Old 09-08-02, 03:34 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's just a dirt line - I think the sunshield was left open because the car was garaged, and hell the sun never shines here in Seattle anyway -

and I don't have a steamcleaner, any mild effective cleaners you could suggest that can be just used by hand, with a damp sponge or whatever?
Old 09-08-02, 02:52 PM
hubbard316
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. Can anyone here help?
Old 09-08-02, 03:30 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Hey Guys,

In my experience on previous cars with light colored headliners, I used Chem-Dry's Stain Extinguisher.

The reason: You do not want to use anything that is going to soak it, because it will loosen the glue and cause a sagging headliner. You do not want to BRUSH or over VACUUM it because it is not that durable of a fabric. Chem-Dry's stain extinguisher is a dry chemical that is carbonated and not aerosol. You shake it up like a bottle of soda, and spray the foam onto the headliner. Take a roll of paper towels and with flat sheets, just dab the foam up. What happens is that the chemdry digs under most dirt and pushes it up with the carbonation.

http://www.chemdry.com/retail.html

Good Luck.

MW

Last edited by pcmw; 09-08-02 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-09-02, 12:40 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Believe it or not, a small amount of Brake Cleaner on a rag works great. Takes off the dirt then dries fast. But never use it on dark surfaces. Will make it look faded.

DD