Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Is the AMSOIL Signature series 100% synthetic 5W-30 oil better than other synthetics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 10:33 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Is the AMSOIL Signature series 100% synthetic 5W-30 oil better than other synthetics?

Is the AMSOIL Signature series 100% synthetic 5W-30 oil better than other synthetic oils?

Any empirical data that shows this? I googled this but didn't find anything useful on a first pass.
Old 07-20-11, 01:58 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I found one comparison and AMSOIL seems to be at the top http://www.performanceoilnews.com/oi...nst_oils.shtml
Old 07-20-11, 04:57 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey man I used to run the signature series Ow/30 im my car. The most IMPORTANT thing I can tell you is. DO NOT listen to amsoils claim about 15-30K mile oil changes. That oil is badass, but thats too many miles between oil changes. Carbon starts to build up on the bottom end bearings, & over time IT WILL FAIL!!!!! I have 1st hand knowledge. I did 3 15K mile oil changes & I spun #6 rod bearing in my 98SC400. Which is why its a 98SC430 now. I tell you another thing, I was alos using amsoils EA oil filter the whole time. Its funny that right after that happened to me, & I didnt call them about my motor, but right after Amsoil stopped making the EA filter for ALL TOYOTA products. Oh you can get the EA filter in any other make, but not Toyota. My lexus mechanic/friend said he used to work for a Acura dealership & 2 Amsoil reps had bought brand new TL's & both of them spun rod bearing within the 1st 6-8 months. All they would do is come in @ 15K have him change the filter & top it of with new oil. DO NOT end up in the same boat I did.
Old 07-20-11, 06:01 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cant go wrong with synthetic Amsoil, Royal purple or Mobil-1.
Old 07-20-11, 09:37 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

tell that to this chick in college who had a newish car and i said it didn't drive like new anymore......of course i asked did she have it serviced.....Blank look.....did you get an oil change....blank look......her answer, "i fill it with gas when light shows yellow"

Definitely things can go wrong....
Old 07-21-11, 03:53 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I bought 6 quarts of the OE 5W-30 synthetic AMSOIL oil. I typically change the oil every 6K miles.
Old 07-21-11, 01:37 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

6-7500 is just fine. I dont recommend more than that. I now cant afford to use amsoil & change every 5K , so its Mobil 1, or Castrol Syntech which ever one is on sale at autozone 5+ qt w/filter deal. Except my vvti 400 takes 6.5qts with the filter. Kinda sucks when you can get the 5+qt & filter for 32.95 & you gotta buy a extra qt for $8 bucks.
Old 07-21-11, 10:17 PM
apdxyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hameed
I found one comparison and AMSOIL seems to be at the top http://www.performanceoilnews.com/oi...nst_oils.shtml
That is an AMSOIL dealer site, btw. And you are schilling for them. Perhaps, unknowingly. AMSOIL makes a decent oil, but is infamous for bogus tests.
There is no miracle oil, there is a diligence in maintenance.
Old 07-22-11, 06:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I used an Amsoil 5W30 in my fiance's 1999 Ford Expedition V8 and still had consumption issues with it. Same went for Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. Only when I switched to Castrol Syntec 0W30 did that issue come to grinding halt. If I had to go with an oil from Amsoil it would only be their 0W30.
Old 07-22-11, 09:41 PM
goohead
Driver School Candidate

mobile 1 every 10k when na was fine for me for 70k take take off valve cover and **** was clean as fk!

amsoil is great stuff can prob run 15k from it but mobile 1 was so much more convient to get.
Old 08-03-11, 05:23 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

I personally go mobil1 every 5k in all the vehicles that i've had and no issues to date.
Old 08-03-11, 07:57 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

You dont need to buy Amsoil.. Just buy the over-the-counter synthetics oil such as Castrol Fully Synthetic, which is what I've been used with no problems or any oil consumption. Just change every 4-6k and you are golden.
Old 08-07-11, 08:34 AM
franchi
Driver School Candidate

Hi:

I used Amsoil exclusively on my 96 ES 300 since I bought i used with 65000miles on it.

I chanbed the oil at 9000 miles and the filter at 3000. The engine blew up at 165000 miles due to a clogged oil pickup screen.

The screen was covered with a black paint type of material that had closesd the holes in the screen thus preventing very little oil from enteriing the pump. Amsoil let me down!!!!!

When I researched this sludge problem, I determined that the Lexus enginse were prone to running cold thus permitting the oil to deplete the detergents in the the oil very quickly leading to sludge buildup. An oil expert of 30 years experience told me this and there is a Class action suit Louisiana vs. Lexus that involved engine replacements for all Lexus cars 97 to present.

Go on line and read some of the engine failure stories posted there!

Amsoil and Lexus= Engine failure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Franchi
Old 08-07-11, 10:42 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

This thread is gonna throw you guys off lol

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-interval.html
Old 08-20-11, 06:27 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NVTHSLEX
You cant go wrong with synthetic Amsoil, Royal purple or Mobil-1.
Originally Posted by apdxyk
That is an AMSOIL dealer site, btw. And you are schilling for them. Perhaps, unknowingly. AMSOIL makes a decent oil, but is infamous for bogus tests.
There is no miracle oil, there is a diligence in maintenance.
Amsoil may make a decent product, but their marketing leaves a lot to be desired. First they have been a multi-level marketer of lubricants for many years, and as such their claims, particularly the endorsements of user/dealers, have always been suspect.

Some of the OG's around CL may remember one of our members on the RX300 forum eight or nine years ago who used to tout Amsoil, claiming you NEVER had to change it. Lexmex may remember this guy. True, the company was making the same claim on their website back in the day too. Unfortunately he was also an Amsoil dealer and constantly claimed the superiority of his product, that it never needed changing, only filters and a topoff every 8K or so. He actually committed his new RX300 to the program.

Flash forward about a year. As many of us tried to warn him, Amsoil or any other lubricant being composed largely of additives that are depleted with use, will eventually lead to disaster if not changed on a regular basis. Add to that the 3L's early sludging problems with undersized oil galleries, and you can see what's coming. Yup, Mr. Amsoil's engine seized and there the problems began.

Amsoil claimed to "guarantee" their no-change claim, but Lexus did not. When our member wanted to replace his engine (some $13K), Lexus refused to honor his waranty because he'd not changed the oil for 24K miles. Mr. Amsoil ranted and raved both to the dealership and on these forums about the failure of Lexus to support their product. It all fell on deaf ears. So next he went to his friends at Amsoil. Evidently they'd had a couple of these claims caused by gullible customers actually risking their engines to a really foolish claim. No, they backpedaled very quickly and would not honor their "warranty" because such a formal guarantee never existed. It seemed to be a claim of their marketing department (meaning individual downline dealers) and not the manufacturer of the product itself. Mr. Amsoil ended up with a two-year old RX300 that made a rather large coffee table.

We never heard the end of the story because the guy slunk away, never posting his final solution. I hope he just ate the engine swap and went and sinned no more - it had to be embarrassing to gamble a sophisticated and expensive powerplant on the claims of a multilevel marketer, but maybe he learned something.

The bottom line, if someone is making a fantastic claim about their products, use a little common sense. You probably can get away with slightly longer oil change intervals - remember the suggested change at 5K is for vehicles in "severe" service like police, taxicabs and Baja competitors. Few if any of us fall into that group and can squeeze by with the 7500 mile interval, but while synthetic lubricants are excellent products, they aren't magical. Change your fluids regularly, as recommended by the manufacturer. After all, it's the manufacturer who actually honors the warranty, not your neighbor hawking magical moose milk - no matter what his claims.

Last edited by Lil4X; 08-20-11 at 06:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IWasHungry (10-13-17)

Quick Reply: Is the AMSOIL Signature series 100% synthetic 5W-30 oil better than other synthetics?