Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Swapping brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-02, 03:26 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left mine torqued up for about 24 hours. I should be okay right? 76ft-lbs, I've been torquing them to 90ft-lbs, and I'm pretty sure Lexus has been torquing them past 100ft-lbs! :eek:
Old 10-05-02, 11:20 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't think 24 would hurt it that much. Don't do it again. That thing is not cheap;

Lexus mechanic knows the lug nuts torque. They shouldn't do over 76 ft-lbs. That you don't have to worry about. Even Walmart tires changer knows .

I think my all my previous Honda were 80 Ft-lbs. Only Corvette tires is torque to 100 ft-lbs.

I remember someone here said that with Lexus/Toyota rims if you over torque them, you may get the rotors or the rims wrap, results in vibration...

Since you got the torque wrench now, do everything as specification. Drive about a day and re-torque. Do not have it more than one click when checking the torque.

Just wait until you have to change the P/S pump and alternator
Old 10-05-02, 11:52 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VQT,

I will attest to the fact that LEXsc400s lug nuts were WAY OVER TORQUED.

I had the factory lug wrench on the lug, then a double length breaker bar and the thing still took all 200lbs of my weight to pop them. A few of them popped three or four times before then began to turn normally. Good thing his bad tire didn't blow on the side of the road. He would have NEVER gotten that wheel off without a TON of leverage.

MW
Old 10-06-02, 01:35 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by pcmw
VQT,

I will attest to the fact that LEXsc400s lug nuts were WAY OVER TORQUED.

I had the factory lug wrench on the lug, then a double length breaker bar and the thing still took all 200lbs of my weight to pop them. A few of them popped three or four times before then began to turn normally. Good thing his bad tire didn't blow on the side of the road. He would have NEVER gotten that wheel off without a TON of leverage.

MW
If your tire were serviced buy Lexus dealer, then I stand correct on my opinion on most mechanics and dealer shops. I don't trust any of them, unless I see then in action working on other people cars. I was just trying to be nice to the Lexus mechanic because there are a few members are Lexus mechanic (Their title now a day is Technician ). I was bash by a few of them on this forum saying that they do good work and the friends I saw working was just a few bad apples:eek:
Unless I can't be there, I usually stay and watch how they work on my car so I know they did it right. I pretty much try to work on most of the things on my cars so I can be much more careful with my work. There are things that I can't do it myself and have to bring to the shop and that's where I am afraid they just butcher the car and I won't even know it.
Old 10-06-02, 01:40 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

I aways re-torqued my wheels whenever I had tires service too, unless I saw they used the torque wrench and I always ask what torque they are using to make sure they know what they're doing to the car.
Old 12-14-02, 05:56 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great information I need to change my brakes and rotors.