Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Over Heating

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-02, 05:30 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Over Heating

Back in mid-summer (July) when I had the A/C going in my LS the temp gauge would rise to 'H' . I was in stop-n-go traffic in NYC, but I don't believe this should happen. I did every thing I could think of; new thermo, new a/c fan and flushed cooling system. Someone told me about a temperature switch that needs to be changed, because the a/c fan doesn't get the correct speed when the car gets extra hot. Is this true? Can find the switch, LEXUS dealer wants me to bring it in, I said to myself hell no! Can someone help me out. Thanks!!!

Last edited by Lexozz; 09-30-02 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-24-02, 03:10 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Default Re: Over Heating

Originally posted by Lexozz
Back in mid-summer (July) when I had the A/C going in my LS the temp gauge would rise to 'H' . I was in stop-n-go traffic in NYC, but I don't believe this should happen. I did every thing I could think of; new thermo, new a/c fan and flushed cooling system. Someone told me about a temperature switch that needs to be changed, because the a/c fan doesn't get the correct speed when the car gets extra hot. Is this true? Can find the switch, LEXUS dealer wants me to bring it in, I said to myself hell no! Can someone help me out. Thanks!!!
Someone please! I'm still waiting for an answer.
Old 10-24-02, 03:40 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm no expert, but since you look so lonely with no replies, here's what I think. This is based on my experience getting my '72 BMW 3.0cs to stop overheating- my SC4 so far stays cool (knock on wood).

It could be that the thermostat sticks in a slightly more closed position than it should. You might consider testing the thermostat in boiling water. Thermostats are usually very reliable, unless the coolant is full of contaminants that would make the thermostat stick.

On my 92 SC4, the thermostat starts opening at 176 degrees and is fully opened at 186 degrees. A dealer can sell you a 170 degree thermostat.

If it only happened in stop and go traffic, the radiator may not be getting enough airflow from the fan, or it may be clogged with bugs and leaves- did you back flush the cooling fins with a hose?

But it doesn't sound like it happens often enough to take it to a dealer. If it happens again, just turn off the a/c. It will be a while before it gets that hot in NYC, anyways.
Old 10-24-02, 05:04 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Thanks for the reply! I know its not summer anymore, but I want to be prepared for next summer. I'll check the thermo and the radiator. Your're right! Last time I looked there was a bunch of leaves and bugs, etc stuck in the little holes of a/c condenser and radiator. Thanks again, its about time for a full tune-up anyway
Old 10-24-02, 10:08 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the front of the radiator for debris clogging the fins. I've seen this many times. Take off the brackets that hold the radiator in place and look inbetween the condensor and the radiator. Dirt and lint always gets trapped there. This debri will restrict air flow to cool the radiator and the condensor.

DD
Old 10-25-02, 12:05 AM
jgrooms
Driver

Since you said you were in stop and go traffic, you might want to make sure the radiator fan is working properly. I had a Grand Am that started overheating when it was doing more idling than driving. It turned out to be a bad fan motor. $12 and 15 minutes was all it took to fix it.

Just my .02

- J
Old 10-25-02, 12:47 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

I need to pull all that stuff apart and give it a good cleaning, my mechanic told me that could be it, but I always like to get second opinions....Thanks everyone.
Old 12-22-02, 12:04 AM
jewelerz
Rookie

Lexozz... PLEEEEZZZEEE tell me you found out the answer to your problem because I have the same problem right now. Ok ok let me start from the beginning. I had my car serviced for the same problem. My mechanic said that there was a plug that was disconnected that controls the fan. Now at this point it stopped doing it. However it was too late my head haskets went. So now I got a used engine and everything is great however i tested the air conditioner and the temp gauge is going up again. Please tell me something good. Did you get your problem taken care of?