Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Taking Lexus to Toyota for Service

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-11, 08:38 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by USLEX
I took my LS600 in to my Toyota dealer earlier this year for a 4 wheel alignmnet and I was assured the Toyota techs would be able to do it. (This is the same dealership that does the 4-wheel alignment on my wife's mini-van.) The Toyota dealership is closer than Lexus and as far as I know, they use the same machine to do the alignment. Anyway, after my Toyota alignment, I started hearing clicking noises and brought it back to Toyota. They said they had no clue what was causing the noise. The service advisor said he had his Master (at what) Tech do look it over from start to end and couldn't find the problem.

I took it to Lexus and the tech asked me if I had an alignment done recently and I confirmed that I did. Tech brought back to the shop and did the work. He told me Toyota didn't tighten one nut/bolt down. It took him about 10 minutes to get me out of there. Maybe my case is isolated but I wouldn't trust my Toyota to work on my LS600 beyond oil changes.

PS
I did get Toyota to reimburse me for the $50 bucks I had to pay Lexus to locate the problem and tighten down the nut.

Glad they got it worked out, but, there is definitely nothing special (aside from needing a newish alignment machine to calibrate the stability control) about doing the alignments on those cars...

That same tech could have just as easily missed the same adjustment/bolt on the wifes minivan...
Old 12-28-11, 09:04 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was at a Toyota dealer today picking up some pink anti-freeze for my wife's Highlander and asked them for the correct anti-freeze for my 2002 GS. They told me they could not look up my GS and say which(red or pink)is correct. They also told me that they could work on my GS but they have to order parts thru a Lexus dealer, they can't get them directly. They must rely on the Lexus dealer for the correct part #.
Old 01-04-12, 08:59 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Glad they got it worked out, but, there is definitely nothing special (aside from needing a newish alignment machine to calibrate the stability control) about doing the alignments on those cars...

That same tech could have just as easily missed the same adjustment/bolt on the wifes minivan...
I guess we will agree to disagree. You are speaking from a service writer standpoint so I can understand your backing up technician mistakes. However, the same Lexus tech was not a Master Tech and the Toyota one supposedly was. I sincerely believe familiarity with the same brand/product has an advantage.

The regular Toyota tech that did my wife's minivan had no problems with the 4-wheel alignment so I am not sure what your point is...
Old 01-05-12, 06:08 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I guess we will agree to disagree. You are speaking from a service writer standpoint so I can understand your backing up technician mistakes. However, the same Lexus tech was not a Master Tech and the Toyota one supposedly was. I sincerely believe familiarity with the same brand/product has an advantage.

The regular Toyota tech that did my wife's minivan had no problems with the 4-wheel alignment so I am not sure what your point is...
Although I am a service writer, I've spent plenty of time turning wrenches as well... When I need to, I jump in and show our newer techs how to do things...

I am not backing up technician mistakes, in fact, doing just the opposite... If you trust them for your wives minivan, just thought you should know there is very little difference from any vehicle to any other vehicle when it comes to alignment work...

To me, now speaking from a service writer standpoint, you probably had a somewhat lazy master tech at Toyota... With stuff like that, it doesn't come down to Toyota dealer or Lexus dealer, it comes to individual tech vs other individual tech... hate to say it, but thats just how it is...
Old 01-24-12, 10:10 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bring my Lexus to my local Toyota dealership for everything non-warranty related. They never had an issue working on my vehicle, or any other Lexus vehicles I see that pull through when I do. I think it's pretty safe to say that that owner of that toyota dealership said no, not corporate themselves. Heck if they don't want the business don't give it to them. I sure wouldn't. I only really go for oil changes mostly. I buy my Mobil 1 oil from Wallie World and toyota only charges me $5 for the Lexus IS250 filter and $15 to change my oil. They only thing Toyota doesn't like to do is when you bring in your own parts, because if the part fails and you get a new one even if that part was under warranty you would still have to pay the labor to install the part again.
Old 01-25-12, 08:24 AM
Carson-Lex
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience different dealers tend to select different services they want to run through their service dept. Some toyota dont even want to touch a lexus vehicle, while others have no problem doing the work.

For example here at Carson Toyota they will work and service all lexus cars as if they were any toyota car. We have all the same information, techstream, and diagnostic tools a lexus dealer would use. So any work done is of course covered under any warranty they would offer a toyota car.

Now what the dealer wont do from the start is do any WARRANTY work, that has to specifically go through a lexus dealer, but for all other jobs and maintance they do work on them here. I run the jdm and parts as many of you already know, but if anyone has any questions, or would just like to get a quote and see the difference form a lexus dealers price, please feel free to call our service dept and get a quote.

310-522-2414 8am - 7pm

Luis S
310-522-2383
Old 01-28-12, 09:47 AM
infojunky
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the important thing is finding a Toyota dealership who has good techs. I wouldn't let my local dealer change a flat. I've had a toyota dealer in South Carolina do my wifes timing belt on her LX470. They have a good rep and have supported my off road club for years. I also buy my parts from them and another dealership south of Atlanta for my LX450 and my newly acquired IS300.
Old 01-30-12, 08:51 PM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We do Lexus vehicle all the time at my Toyota dealer, like many members said, our diagnostic equipment is the same, and most of the time the Lexus parts are the same as the Toyota ones, unless you have a specific Lexus part number. I work on at least 3-4 Lexus a day. Most customers usually praise how much cheaper our prices are compared to Lexus. $400 for 30k service vs $900 at the Lexus dealer. As long as you trust the tech and the service writer that's all that matters.
Old 01-31-12, 05:29 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it would depend on what it was, "basic" stuff I would say get it done at Toyota if you don't DIY. The more "complicated" stuff I would probably take it to Lexus
Old 02-07-12, 10:06 PM
schan1w
Driver

Some Toyota dealers will do the work, some won't. I bought a Toyota Trustart battery from a Toyota dealer. It went bad before 36 months. I tried to bring it back for pro-rated credit, but they required the car to be checked out but since it was a Lexus, they said Toyota would refuse the claim they'd need to file to get their money back. So, yes, manyToyota dealers will be happy to work on Lexus and provide parts for Lexus, but beware that any warranty claim on the parts/work could be denied cause Toyota Corporate would have to reimburse the dealer, and they'd only reimburse for Toyota VINs.
Old 02-08-12, 07:51 AM
little2576
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BCP43002
I was at a Toyota dealer today picking up some pink anti-freeze for my wife's Highlander and asked them for the correct anti-freeze for my 2002 GS. They told me they could not look up my GS and say which(red or pink)is correct. They also told me that they could work on my GS but they have to order parts thru a Lexus dealer, they can't get them directly. They must rely on the Lexus dealer for the correct part #.
Which toyota dealership was this ? Im in NJ & soon i will have to find a toyota dealership to do
some maintnence
Old 02-13-12, 07:34 PM
pronkie1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pronkie1
The wife takes her 99 ES 300 to Ventura Toyota.....She been going there for over eleven years because she bought a 2000 Camry new from them(currently my car) and has a good relationship with one of the service rep(Kevin)...He did say that getting certain Lexus parts are a pain but that they can get them....Also cuts her a break because she has been going there for so many years....Sometimes I question the cost of a repair but in the end it is a dealership and they are higher than independents.....Been to a few independents here in town and they've screwed me on little things so just pay a little bit more and go to the dealer....

Frank T
Camarillo CA
99 ES 300 171k(wife's car)
00 ES 300 79k(stepsons car)
Just to add to this post: We tried the local Lexus Dealer in Oxnard and that was a joke.....I made the mistake of breaking off the passenger's mirror on the wife's Lexus.....My father in law got the mirror for us at a good price.....When we tried to install it, we just didn't have the right tools to get the last bolt off....So we took it to DCH Lexus of Oxnard.....After one day my wife got a call and said there was a problem.....Good news was that they installed the mirror...Bad news was that they broke the wood on the passenger's door window switch....Long story short they landed up replacing all the wood because they couldn't match the original wood and they only did that after my wife asked for the general manager by name to complain how they were treating her....Bottom line it got fixed but with a lot of headache and took four days for them to fix the mismatching wood they installed ...So we don't use them anymore .....
Old 02-17-12, 09:33 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by little2576
Which toyota dealership was this ? Im in NJ & soon i will have to find a toyota dealership to do
some maintnence
Muller Toyota on Rt 31 in Clinton. You might also want to check out Rick Allen's Auto Repair in Hampton, just off Rt 31. I've had very good results from them and they only use OEM parts.
Old 02-19-12, 07:18 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I took my LS600 in to my Toyota dealer earlier this year for a 4 wheel alignmnet and I was assured the Toyota techs would be able to do it. (This is the same dealership that does the 4-wheel alignment on my wife's mini-van.) The Toyota dealership is closer than Lexus and as far as I know, they use the same machine to do the alignment. Anyway, after my Toyota alignment, I started hearing clicking noises and brought it back to Toyota. They said they had no clue what was causing the noise. The service advisor said he had his Master (at what) Tech do look it over from start to end and couldn't find the problem.

I took it to Lexus and the tech asked me if I had an alignment done recently and I confirmed that I did. Tech brought back to the shop and did the work. He told me Toyota didn't tighten one nut/bolt down. It took him about 10 minutes to get me out of there. Maybe my case is isolated but I wouldn't trust my Toyota to work on my LS600 beyond oil changes.

PS
I did get Toyota to reimburse me for the $50 bucks I had to pay Lexus to locate the problem and tighten down the nut.
What's a LS600? Do you mean 460?
Old 02-29-12, 03:25 PM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota dealer Price

I went to the toyota dealer and they told me that they would do my timing belt and water pump on my LS 400 99' for $385 which the special they have goin on right now. I think ill be goin to the Toyota dealer now!!! and he even asked me how much is the Lexus dealer want $1500? I laughed and said yep!!!

Quick Reply: Taking Lexus to Toyota for Service