Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

All About Oil, Additives, and Oil Filters Superthread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-15 | 04:45 PM
tjonesga
Driver School Candidate

If you plan to use the upper cylinder clean with injection cleaner made by Lucas oil the proper amount is 3 oz per ten gallons of gas. The advertised amounts on the bottles are not the proper amounts according to the techs at Lucas. There is a discrepancy in the math from the recommended usage from bottle size to bottle size. I did the math to determine the error, and questioned tech. The answer above is what they told me. Thought I would pass that along.

They have good products but you got to use the right amounts or you are not using enough or you are wasting your money on to much product. TJ
Old 02-27-18 | 12:09 PM
anniverse
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Synthetic motor oil

At 112,000 thousand mile Service ( I do my oil changes if the mileage is divisible by 7
I took my Lexus GS300 1999 to Sears for oil change and I thought they will follow the
Manufacturers Recommendation for 5/30 standard oil because that is what is stamped
on the engine. there is no mention of SYNTHETIC OIL.
I did not realize what was happening till I got oil leak on driveway and upon further inspection
I found out that my top valve gasket was leaking and I had to replace it. Also I did the oil and filter
change using Mobil 5/30 STANDARD oil. Point to NOTE here is that SEARS without realizing that
the Oil nut washer was not used-replaced or lost and to stop the leak they over tightened the nut.
I had to use a torgue of about 110 FT/LBS.----NO MORE SEARS FGOR ME AND MY FAMILY.
To me Synthetic oil is only good up to 50,000 MILES when the Seals are new and uncorrupted.
As you may know and as the Word SYNTHETIC visualizes it is made of more of ARTIFICIAL
materials then OI. Thus this oil contains some minerals and Chemicals that are reacting with
rubber and Gasket Seals and penetrates it and thus you have oil Leaks.
Take my advise and use Standard oil if your car is over 50,000 miles and before it is time
to start changing any seal, gasket or o rings as standard Service requirements.
Another point to note with Sears or maybe with some other BIG service centers is the
OVER TIGHTEN or seal things up so you HAVE to take it back to them and that is called
REPEAT CUSTOMERS
Old 03-01-18 | 10:14 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Originally Posted by anniverse
At 112,000 thousand mile Service ( I do my oil changes if the mileage is divisible by 7
I took my Lexus GS300 1999 to Sears for oil change and I thought they will follow the
Manufacturers Recommendation for 5/30 standard oil because that is what is stamped
I did not realize what was happening till I got oil leak on driveway and upon further inspection
I found out that my top valve gasket was leaking and I had to replace it. Also I did the oil and filter
change using Mobil 5/30 STANDARD oil. Point to NOTE here is that SEARS without realizing that
the Oil nut washer was not used-replaced or lost and to stop the leak they over tightened the nut.
I had to use a torgue of about 110 FT/LBS.----NO MORE SEARS FGOR ME AND MY FAMILY.
To me Synthetic oil is only good up to 50,000 MILES when the Seals are new and uncorrupted.
As you may know and as the Word SYNTHETIC visualizes it is made of more of ARTIFICIAL
materials then OI. Thus this oil contains some minerals and Chemicals that are reacting with
Take my advise and use Standard oil if your car is over 50,000 miles and before it is time
Another point to note with Sears or maybe with some other BIG service centers is the
OVER TIGHTEN or seal things up so you HAVE to take it back to them and that is called
REPEAT CUSTOMERS
You are misinformed about the use of synthetic oil. It is fully compatible and acceptable for use in your engine at any mileage, not just up to 50k. If you don't want to use it, that is your choice, but don't use old wives tales to try to discourage others from using it. It is superior to conventional oil in almost every aspect.
The following 4 users liked this post by tghw:
FC3Socks (05-22-22), GunnyFitz (08-20-19), RiceBanana (02-10-20), ronkelley (02-25-21)
Old 03-01-18 | 10:59 PM
anniverse
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Synthetic oil

Well when it happened to my first Honda Vehicle I passed it off as ONETIME.
But when it happened to my Lexus gs300 1999 I got worried and spoke to
quite a few Parts Sales people and some Mechanics and they Agree with me.
Anyway I did all my oil changes since I bought my Lexus Ex-lease at 31,000 miles
and did not have any issues with oil leaks till SEARS did one due to my ill health.
That was at 112,000 Miles with Synthetic and that is when the Problem strted.
THIS IS NO OLD WIVES TALE?????????????????????????
Old 03-01-18 | 11:07 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Changing your oil has nothing to do with your VC gasket starting to leak. Your gasket is 19 yrs. old and has over 100k mi. on it. Gaskets wear out and need to be replaced. It's not unusual to need a new VC gasket at 112k miles.

Last edited by tghw; 03-01-18 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-02-18 | 12:22 AM
JetCat
Driver School Candidate

Hello, Anniverse ... I hope you are doing well ...... I wonder if you would allow me to share a few friendly comments .... some time back I found a blog written by an engineering person .... who for some odd reason likes to spend time doing lab studies on engine oil in his spare time. This seems a rather boring hobby .... but for whatever reason, this guy just seems to like it. The name of his blog is : 540 Rat Oil Test ( https://540ratblog.wordpress.com ) I have to say, reading this blog has turned into quite an education ... it is very long and very, very detailed. If you look closely you will also find he has a place where people write to him and he answers their mail ..... there is all kinds of stuff posted here. ( one of my favorites is where he takes-on certain BMW owners who have destroyed engine main bearings ... his suggestion is to ignore the owner manual and run a thinner oil ) He takes commonly known engine oils that we have all heard of and runs them through a quality test ... there are some interesting surprises to be found. Point being ... this is all about becoming informed and obtaining a deeper knowledge .. .. .. I thought it was really interesting when I first found the blog .... my wife thought I had lost my mind when she figured out how may hours I had spent reading through everything ..... I think I spent about 2 entire weeks on it when I first discovered it .... well, anyways .... just thought I would share this with you ... you may also find the blog to be of interest -- -- -- : )
The following users liked this post:
ShrinkDoc (06-05-18)
Old 08-21-18 | 06:24 PM
WNC
Rookie

Well when it happened to my first Honda Vehicle I passed it off as ONETIME.
But when it happened to my Lexus gs300 1999 I got worried and spoke to
quite a few Parts Sales people and some Mechanics and they Agree with me.
Anyway I did all my oil changes since I bought my Lexus Ex-lease at 31,000 miles
and did not have any issues with oil leaks till SEARS did one due to my ill health.
That was at 112,000 Miles with Synthetic and that is when the Problem strted.
THIS IS NO OLD WIVES TALE?????????????????????????
No problem for me. My 2008 ES 350 has over 210,000 miles on it. Nothing but Mobil 1 Synthetic since it was new! Never had the first problem with the engine. Still running strong!
Old 12-12-20 | 03:15 PM
sunamer
Advanced

REPEAT CUSTOMERS
my 2011 corolla 1.8L currently has 123k miles. since i bought it with 84k i have been “giving” it 0w-20 mobil1 synthetic oil. Not a single oil leak...not a single seal or gasket broken and leaking.

The only reason this myth originated, is - some people used special “high mileage” oil which made seals expand and swell. When they put regular synth oil after that, seals shrunk and started leaking, because that compound that made seal material to expand in the first place, was no longer in contact with the seals. But, that was not the fault of synthetic oil.
Old 02-16-22 | 08:05 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Point to NOTE here is that SEARS without realizing that the Oil nut washer was not used-replaced or lost and to stop the leak they over tightened the nut.
The local Toyota dealership did many oil changes for my 2005 Lexus, and finally claimed the threads on the oil pan were worn and wanted me to replace the whole lower oil pan for around $700. I refused, and 2 oil changes later, they said they'd re-thread the lower oil pan and use a slightly bigger oil-drain nut.

I use e-oilchange: you purchase 3 oil changes for $30, and you have to use them within a year at participating places. So that turns out to be $10 per normal 5W-30 oil change for my V8 Lexus at a Toyota dealership every 4 months (3K or 4K miles). Kinda frequent, but that's what I do.

Last edited by Natey2; 02-16-22 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-09-22 | 01:21 PM
ESully
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Natey2
The local Toyota dealership did many oil changes for my 2005 Lexus, and finally claimed the threads on the oil pan were worn and wanted me to replace the whole lower oil pan for around $700. I refused, and 2 oil changes later, they said they'd re-thread the lower oil pan and use a slightly bigger oil-drain nut.

I use e-oilchange: you purchase 3 oil changes for $30, and you have to use them within a year at participating places. So that turns out to be $10 per normal 5W-30 oil change for my V8 Lexus at a Toyota dealership every 4 months (3K or 4K miles). Kinda frequent, but that's what I do.
That is a great deal for regular oil changes. It's a lot more frequent than I would need, but why not. Does that include the filter?
The threads on the oil pan drain plug do not wear out. The only way the threads go bad is if someone over tightened or cross threaded them. I have helped change a few oil pans and never because the threads "wore out", but due to stripped threads, to replace a leaking gasket, or physical damage.
Old 09-21-22 | 06:10 AM
dtt77
2nd gear

Useful information, thank you guys
Old 07-04-24 | 01:41 PM
RocketMan295
Rookie

Default A Theoretical Question …

… to all my CL friends regarding all things technical regarding motor oil (brands, especially), filters and the like. After 50 years of auto mechanics experience, may I suggest that one cannot tell that a certain brand of oil causes a discernible difference in day to day performance over another. Had a friend recently tell me how much better his car runs following a generic oil change. (I skillfully crafted the word “bunk” into a polite response) Seriously, the only way I could pronounce one oil “better” than another would be a complete engine disassembly and inspection after, say,
250K miles. Can anyone convince me of my accuracy or inaccuracy?

I would also mention that I only use Castrol or Mobil1 products exclusively from WalMart in my respective vehicles, all bought new. Never had an engine fail in 400K to 600K miles.
Old 08-08-24 | 11:50 PM
blast01
3rd Gear

Find this post really helpful. Read here