Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Replace Sway Bar Bushings on LX470

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 08:50 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Question Replace Sway Bar Bushings on LX470

I need to replace the sway bar bushings and cushions on my lx470 and was wondering if this is an easy job? I heard i do not have to remove the torsion bars but i do not know. Do i need to put the suv up on jackstands? I figure if it is level, there will be no tension on the sway bar anyways. Lastly, if i end up binging it to a shop, what should a expect to pay (ballpark?) thanks for the help
Old 12-12-11, 12:04 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I need to replace the sway bar bushings and cushions on my lx470 and was wondering if this is an easy job? I heard i do not have to remove the torsion bars but i do not know. Do i need to put the suv up on jackstands? I figure if it is level, there will be no tension on the sway bar anyways. Lastly, if i end up binging it to a shop, what should a expect to pay (ballpark?) thanks for the help
bushings and cushions? not sure of the terminology cushions, but I'll try...

bushings are the two horseshoe shaped clamps that hold the swaybar to the frame, endlinks are the parts that connect the ends of the swaybars to the suspension...

so long as the vehicle is parked on level ground, shouldn't be any tension on the sway bar... that being said, some vehicles are easier to access with the vehicle lifted (some from the frame, some from the suspension)... Never done them on the LX, but I would assume, it being a truck, that there is plenty of room to loosen the current bushings, remove and reinstall, leaving the swaybar relatively in place...

Not sure on the labor time, but I would guess to replace bushings, somewhere around an hour per swaybar... an hour worth of labor time can run anywhere from $60-$100, more or less, depending on your location (both in the country and if you are in a city or not)...

End links are generally pretty easy to do with the correct tools (generally will need a thin wrench to keep the ball joint from turning when you loosen the nuts) and labor time should be similar... I am not at work right now, so I don't have access to exact labor times, perhaps tomorrow I'll look it up for ya...
Old 12-12-11, 06:49 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, the terminology is correct, and thank you i appreciate it, i may just put the AHC in high and should have enough room
Old 12-12-11, 07:08 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Yep, the terminology is correct, and thank you i appreciate it, i may just put the AHC in high and should have enough room
which part exactly is the cushion???

Toyota does have some weird ways of naming things that don't seem to match everyone elses...

in the swaybar system, there are bushings (that hold the bar to the chassis), end links (which attach the bar to the suspension, and depending on how the links are configured, may have more bushings or ball joints on either end...
Old 12-12-11, 10:11 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

endlinks are cushions i guess after reading up on the ih8mud forums and and bushing is the horseshoe shaped thing, i was underneath the car and they were shot to hell
Old 12-13-11, 06:54 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

endlinks are cushions i guess after reading up on the ih8mud forums and and bushing is the horseshoe shaped thing, i was underneath the car and they were shot to hell
nope... actually just searched myself... the "cushions" are the same as the bushings that hold the swaybar to the frame... I wish terminology was the same everywhere...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 12-13-11 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-13-11, 09:14 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Make sure you spray WD40 on the bushing bracket fasteners and let it soak for a while. You don't want to break off the head.

Also, on the endlinks, you might want to have a nut-breaker, just in case....
Old 12-13-11, 10:16 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Alright but if this can be done with all 4 wheels on the ground i think it'll be all good. I just want it to get taken care of before i drive it to NYC. But all i need really is the new bushings, a socket wrench, and wd-40?
Old 12-13-11, 11:17 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are replacing the sway bar endlinks, you might have to remove the wheels. I am not sure if there is enough room. You will also need a set of allen keys and wrench.

Other things you might consider:
- apply anti-seize on all fasteners
- apply bushing lube on the bushing