Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Winter oil time!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-04, 05:59 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, no reason to start a flame war, but let me give you a few more facts so you know the situation.

First, I do not have any problems with fuel consumption. I regularly average about 16.5 to 17 mpg here. It ain't highway, but not bad for the conditions. I have experience no oil consumption problems since the switch to 15W-50.

I wish they sold the grades of oil you mentioned, but they don't. I checked everywhere in this city, including Mobil of Mexico, Castrol and Quaker State. They claim they just won't sell it due to the operating conditions. They do sell a dino 10W-30, but no way am I putting dino in my RX. Moreover, I have never even seen the 10W-30 they claim is sold here.

My switch to 15W-50 was not an easy one, and it came after careful consulting, including with people on Clublexus, Mobil, Toyota and Lexus plus a few independent mechanics.

Lexus(not sold here yet) was intrigued by the situation and noted that the LS400(now 430) is sold in Bolivia, 13,000 feet above sea level and it uses Mobil 1 15W-50.

Toyota Mexico told me that in trial runs before selling each of the above cars throughout Mexico they experienced oil consumption problems in a few areas, and Mexico City was one of them. Toyota has only been here since 2002. They found out that the low oxygen levels, mountain environment sapped their cars of the get up and go. When cars arrive in Mexico City, their oil is switched to a higher weight. Clients have the option of switching to Mobil 1, but they are only offered 15W-50. I am sure that Honda and Nissan encountered similar problems, as they have been here much longer. Toyota also offers the TRD air filters as standard here. I use a modified K&N (oil not facing the MAF) air filter.

I have heard of what you said about the oil and its affects on wear at startup before. However, we don't live in a perfect world and have the make the best of our situations.

My bigger complaint about having the Lexus in Mexico isn't the oil, it's the gas. Premium unleaded has over 250 ppm of sulfur at last check, that's a 93 octane here. Car hates the stuff and I am very aware about the catalytic converter efficiency, but Pemex is the monopoly.

The first ten Coronas and Tequilas are on me.

Lex
Old 06-04-04, 12:28 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference between the 10w30 and 5w30 is that the 10w30 will usually stay in grade longer. Meaning it won't shear down to say a 20 wt. oil as fast as say a 5w30 will. Now what you can do is run the 5w30 year round and have the oil and filter changed every 3750 miles. Any good SL rated oil like say Castrol GTX 5w30 will be fine for that OCI and will provide great service. By going to a higher $$$ synthetic like Mobil 1 5w30 you could run to 7000 mile for you OCI and it would still be in grade and protecting your engine. Now it is down to cost and your time. The two dino changes compare to the one synthetic change might cost around the same $$$. The good part about the 2 dino changes is new clean oil is alway better than old dirty oil in my book, plus your deal looks at your car more often. If you do it yourself then you will more than likely use the Mobil 1 and go to 7000 mile changes.
Old 06-09-04, 04:47 PM
oldguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading the Mobil One study on WWW.neptune-spacebears.com confirms my own practice on oil/filter change.
Old 06-09-04, 05:11 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oldguy, link doesn't work??