Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lexus Service costs: Getting Worse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-02, 11:06 AM
WinstonSalem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lexus Service costs: Getting Worse?

'01 GS300, purchased new, coming up on 15k miles. still, of course, under 3-year or 50k warranty.

this is my third lex (2 sc300's in the past). i've always serviced every 5k miles even though according to the manuals my driving habits are more like the 7,500 mile service profile.

called the dealer to sched the 15k service, and they said it will cost between $350-450. when i expressed surprise, she said "you do realize that this service includes extra stuff blah blah blah." aaaarrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!

has anyone else encountered such exhorbitant prices? did you feel a pain in your side? geez, i felt like i was back in the days when i owned bimmers!

my 10k service was $158, by the way.

oh yeah: valet service has changed. they've stopped bringing a loaner when they pick up the cars for service. i bought this car based on the valet idea, i've ALWAYS used the valet service becuz my dealer is like 15 miles away and it saves me taking off time from work. at least they're still pickin' up the car, but without leaving me a loaner, i'm stuck. i guess the lexus dealer is having $$ probs??
Old 11-02-02, 05:16 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats definately an issue with your dealer and not Lexus in general. I had dinner with my dad the other night, and he just got his LS back from service and used the valet like he always does, and recieved a loaner. I've talked with three dealers here in the area while I've been shopping, and all of them have said they offer the valet service that includes a loaner car.

Complain to the GM of the dealership or Lexus corporate.

One question though, if they don't leave a loaner, how do they get out to you? Do they come two guys, one drives your car the other drives the loaner? if so thats just rediculously dumb...
Old 11-03-02, 01:22 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

You can always drop the car off at the dealer at 8am and head out once it's in. 15miles is certainly nowhere near what I ccall a distance.
And ifyou bought the car based on that valet idea, which i never heard of until now, then you bought it for the wrong reason.

BTW...if you are complaining about the service costs now...wait til u spend a grand on the 60k service.
Old 11-03-02, 10:05 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Doh! I'm sitting at 61K and just waiting for a good time to bring my car in to the dealer. Not looking forward to shelling out a grand.

Originally posted by ThemisN

BTW...if you are complaining about the service costs now...wait til u spend a grand on the 60k service.
Old 11-03-02, 10:16 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Well, the valet and free loaner service is part of the rationalization for the cost of Lexus service. I have to agree, if it comes to the point where Lexus is no longer going to offer these services and still charge the same insane rates, then that'll be the day I'll never have a service done at a Lexus dealership.
Old 11-03-02, 11:16 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Rationalization of cost? You think that BMW and MB are better? Come on. These extra services do not rationalize the cost. They maybe give you a reason to go there over a independent mechanic, but I would trust my car nowhere else but a dealer. I have had my share of stories on other cars...
Old 11-04-02, 12:54 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

My wife has a BMW, and 2 years later, nothing major to service, a few small things, like my GS, but she hasn't payed a dime either. I'm at 30k and I've spent close to $1300 just to "maintain" it. I think Lexus should just increase the sticker price a grand and sell them as fully covered, which somehow psychologically would sit better with me.
Old 11-04-02, 02:41 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Angry

Winston you must be talking about F*** Lexus. They suck big time and charge more than anyone else here in NC for service and parts.

On my next purchase I will definitely check out the guys in Raleigh!!
Old 11-04-02, 04:35 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Lightbulb $$$$

I just made 75k on my LX470, Nalley Lexus says they want $439, Toyota wants $260.....guess who is doing my service?
Old 11-04-02, 11:39 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Originally posted by ThemisN
Rationalization of cost? You think that BMW and MB are better? Come on. These extra services do not rationalize the cost. They maybe give you a reason to go there over a independent mechanic, but I would trust my car nowhere else but a dealer. I have had my share of stories on other cars...
I never said BMW or Mercedes were better. However in all fairness to them, BMW and Mercedes electronics are more complicated and require more equipment than the ones on a Lexus do. A gas station can work on a Lexus. Don't get me wrong I don't think this is a bad thing, I think its good for us the owner, but it just reinforces the fact that Lexus is blatantly overcharging for service. Nothing they do is worth that amount of money. Hey, I'll take a grand to look at your exhaust pipe and report

As for having stories about independant mechanics, lol I have plenty of stories about dealerships! Read what someone posted here from the bad business bureau about what happened to them at Lexus of Manhattan. Stuff can happen anywhere.

I'm perfectly happy to use my guy Mike down the road, whom I know, I know his techs etc. He's done some great work on my fathers Lexus (he was the only one who could get the wheels to balance, 3 Lexus dealers tried). He has my full confidence at 1/4 what Lexus charges. The work he does is twice as good.
Old 11-05-02, 02:43 AM
strongsail
Instructor

No gas station gonna work on MY Lexus!

I am scheduled in a couple weeks to do a major service on my '93 SC4 at 100K - timing belt, waterpump, thermostat, cooling system pressure flush & refill, trans service, front brakes, oilchange, $1100 quoted, loaner included.

Lotta money, lotta car.

I will change rotors, caps, wires and plugs and clean throttle body myself, I anticipate doing it all again when I hit 200K -

ps, I am going 160 miles away to a dealer I trust, the local one would probably charge half again as much.

Last edited by strongsail; 11-05-02 at 02:44 AM.
Old 11-05-02, 04:14 PM
WinstonSalem
Driver School Candidate

followup: i called a local Toyota dealer. they're authorized to do ALL lexus service, and rather than $350-450, they quoted a firm $231.95!! uh, well, OH MY GOD! guess where i'm going to take it?

as for the "valet" service: this is my third lexus bought from the same dealer. i have always paid a premium for service because of the convenience of valet -- coming to pick up my car for whatever reason, even if just an oil change, leaving me a loaner, and returning mine the same day and picking up the loaner. i don't care if some of the lexus owners in this forum think that's a luxury, it's what i've been used to since 1995, it's what i was promised when i bought every car, and now it's been changed (no loaner). i am a 3-time purchaser, i pay sticker for these cars, i do not haggle. so, they have reneged on part of their original deal, and that sucks. i might as well go back to buying bimmers; at least if i'm sitting in the BMW service line every monday morning to get something adjusted, their service is paid for up front with the price of the car. i just hate their lousy radios!!! no mark levinson on a bimmer...

as for looking forward to 60k service, i've never put more than 30K on any car. i trade 'em every 2-3 years. another reason my lexus dealer should be trying to keep my business.
Old 11-05-02, 04:21 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by WinstonSalem
...this is my third lexus bought from the same dealer. i have always paid a premium.......it's what i was promised when i bought every car, and now it's been changed (no loaner). i am a 3-time purchaser, i pay sticker for these cars, i do not haggle. so, they have reneged on part of their original deal, and that sucks. i might as well go back to buying bimmers; at least if i'm sitting in the BMW service line every monday morning to get something adjusted, their service is paid for up front with the price of the car.....as for looking forward to 60k service, i've never put more than 30K on any car. i trade 'em every 2-3 years. another reason my lexus dealer should be trying to keep my business.
I would mention these very reasons to teh GSM or Service Manager before having any additional work done. Oh yeah, mention that you are going to have your Lexus serviced at teh Toyo dealer too; they'll love that.

Service is the highest margin revenue streams for dealerships these days. Use it to your advantage.
Old 11-05-02, 07:28 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Yes I would definately write a very strong professional letter to the GM of that Lexus dealership stating exactly what you've said here. You have never expected any kind of price discount from them when buying your vehicles, and now how is it fair for them to ask you to give a discount of sorts by no longer recieving a loaner. Also mention to them the price that the Toyota dealer quoted you, mention that from now on you will be having your Lexus serviced at said dealership since you have to bring the vehicle in for service yourself now anyways, and that the use of the valet + loaner car service was so valuable to you that in the past you had been more than willing to pay the premium for Lexus vs Toyota service. At the end thank him for the excellent service you have recieved from his dealership sales and service over the years, and express how sorry you are that their commitment to customer service has changed and that you regret the feeling that you need to take your sales and service business elsewhere.

You'll get a response, or I'll pay for that service (at Toyota lol)

As for servicing my Lexus at a gas station, oh no don't worry I'd never do that either, I was just making a point that these are NOT complicated cars and they do not require any complex knowledge or special equipment to service. My guy Mike was telling me that he couldn't service my mother's Volkswagen because the diagnostic equipment was so expensive only the dealerships can afford it. He's right, I've called around for her and no one will touch it. He services Lexus vehicles all the time.

BTW, anyone looking for a good place for service in the DC area, PM I'll fwd you his contact info.

Its stuff like this that concerns me. As Lexus' popularity soars, their customer service is going to take a downspiral. Sad.
Old 11-09-02, 10:24 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Taking your Lexus to a Toyota dealer is the same as taking it to the gas station. Sure anyone can do a basic service, but thats not why people keep coming back the to the lexus dealer. It's because they can do everything. In one shot they can get their car serviced, warranty work, cbes adjusted, and so on. Remember this also, when your car goes out of warranty and you need an expensive repair. Most dealers look to see if your one of there good customers before offering to pay for it. If a toyota dealer says they are authorized to do service they are lying. I can only speak for my dealer when I say that we provide great service to our customers. Thats why our business increases 20% every year since 1990. There is a reason why lexus has a 71% retention rate, Best in the business. If you want to save some money go to the gas station or toyota. Next time your there, ask them for a loaner and see what they say.

You get what you pay for.

My 2 cents...

DD

Quick Reply: Lexus Service costs: Getting Worse?