Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Auto Mechanic learning material

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-12, 08:58 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Auto Mechanic learning material

I want to learn general auto mechanics. Are there some good text books or materials out there that I can get to help me learn?
Old 04-26-12, 09:07 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Toxicxk23
I want to learn general auto mechanics. Are there some good text books or materials out there that I can get to help me learn?
Go on youtube, look up "ScannerDanner". He has some astounding videos with great back up theory. He also have an Engine Performance book made by himself, with over 400 pages for $40. It's a great book.
Old 04-27-12, 03:07 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Go on youtube, look up "ScannerDanner". He has some astounding videos with great back up theory. He also have an Engine Performance book made by himself, with over 400 pages for $40. It's a great book.
Just watched a few and they're great! Now what about books that can teach me car basics like the operation of an engine/suspension and their components? I'm an Electronics Technician in the Navy and I love troubleshooting things but being an ET, I don't really deal with a lot of mechanical things which is what I really get interested in.
Old 04-27-12, 10:59 PM
elevate
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon Amazon

this is the book im using for school right now. you can try looking on craigslist for a used book!
Old 04-28-12, 03:17 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Thanks! Looks like I can get a used one on Amazon for 30$
Old 04-29-12, 06:38 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Just a little advice from someone thats been in the business a long time...

Learn the basics, oil change, tires, etc, and get yourself in at the entry level as a general service installer - talk with the manager about your plans. Get in with a larger company and they will train you, and along with learning a little on your own, you can advance relatively quickly. This is made easier if you are in a larger city, as the ability to transfer from location to location if needed for advancement will be available... Books are great for theory, but you will learn more just by doing it and being around those that are doing it on a daily basis...

To start, engine diagnostics and troubleshooting are not a good place... Almost no one hires just an engine diag guy that can't at least do the things below it....

Start with brakes and steering and suspension. Those two key components will make a technician the most money, as that is what people are willing to spend the cash on, at least much more easily than the other stuff... Start acquiring tools as you go, a good technician won't be very productive without 3-5000 worth of tools, depending on quality of tools... Certain things aren't required but can make many jobs easier, such as a handheld ball joint press... Even then, that is pretty much the entry level and an advanced tech will probably acquire 20-40k in tools (or more even) over his career...

Forget about the books, forget about school for it too, IMO... if you are a learner, do it on the job, get paid for it, and the real world hands on is so much more valuable... We have a general services tech that is going to school for it - if he wasn't almost done (as in one semester left), he wouldn't have stayed in school as he learns more at work than he does at school, on a daily basis... This same GS has already learned most steering suspension, brakes and even heating and cooling at work... Not saying those places can't help you get hired on, but don't expect a good job without real world experience - many employers will start out "graduates" of those places at the entry level, or sometimes one step above, until they prove themselves...