Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Stevens Creek Lexus or Magnussen’s of Fremont?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-02, 11:54 AM
jime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stevens Creek Lexus or Magnussen’s of Fremont?

Stevens Creek Lexus or Magnussen’s of Fremont?
I just purchased a 2000 RX-300 with 33,000 miles (30K check-up was not done).

I live in Fremont, CA and work in Palo Alto so it is not too inconvenient to take my RX to either Magnussen’s Lexus of Fremont or Stevens Creek Lexus in San Jose.

What experiences have you had with these dealers?

Thanks,
Old 11-06-02, 01:59 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take this as hearsay since I have not had service at either places. I have read on this board, though, that:

1. Stevens Creek - Stay away, bad attitude.
2. Magnussen - Good service great hours, pricy

I used to get my service over in Pleasanton. Service was good, also pricy. I stopped since they are not mod-friendly.

I have been getting service in Serramonte. My service advisor is not working there anymore and has moved on to Oakland. I don't know about Oakland service. I may have to call to find out or find another advisor in Serramonte.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-02, 04:29 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Neo has it about right. I have gotten parts at Stevens Creek but service only at Magnussen in Fremont. The amount of time to get an appointment at Steven's Creek (and the snooty attitude) put me off. Might be pricey but the hours are great at Magnussen. If you need a loaner, schedule for Monday or Tuesday, by the mid week all the Lexus loaners are gone and you get a rent a car. And Magnussen uses DentPro and last time I was there they had them come in and pop a couple of dents while the car was in for service and it was actually cheaper than going to DentPro on my own. One addition, if you are out of warranty, take it to Custom Alignment in Mountain View for any suspension related work. Also not cheap but if you are paying the bill, they do it right. Enjoy the RX.
Old 11-07-02, 09:18 AM
jime
Driver School Candidate

Default Won't go to Steven's Creek Lexus

Thanks for your input and I want to add what I found out yesterday.

I called Magnussen’s and got a quote for $529 for the 30,000 check (included a loaner), which I thought was pricey. I checked with Steven’s Creek Lexus and they wanted $700.

Since I was in the area at lunch yesterday, and I was very curious as to why Steven’s Creek charged so much, I stopped in and asked a Service Adviser. The answer I was given was that “since many of their customers did a lot of stop and go driving that they used the “B” or “heavy use” schedule rather than the “A” or “normal use” schedule. So they had to charge extra for the extra service they provided”.

My feeling is that Steven’s Creek’s response was pure BS and the only reason they charge so much is they have more customers than they can support because of their location.

I think I will take my business to someplace other than Steven’s Creek Lexus
Old 11-08-02, 05:21 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

jime - Some people's BS detectors are set a little too sensitive. I think yours is right on. I have taken the comments here that Magnussen might be more expensive than other Lexus dealers but I think that probably the most reasonable is Serramonte and that is just too far out of the way for me. Lexus Stevens Creek charges Stevens Creek prices (been there done that with Stevens Creek BMW). Don't know whether you will be happy with Magnussen in Fremont but no reason to patronize Stevens Creek. If they are not too far out of the way (not too far from PA) there is also a Lexus dealer in Redwood City but I haven't used them.

Ron
Old 11-08-02, 06:06 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Guys,

The one in Redwood City is Putnam. I have heard Service is not very good. I do not have first hand accounts.

I have, however, gone out there to ask about parts and have chatted with a few of their sales people. They inspire no confidence.
Old 01-23-03, 03:10 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never been to Stevens Creek Lexus but I will describe my views of Magnussen.

I got service quoted to me at $550. Once the car was being worked on the price was changed to $1250 with no extras.

What was good:

Loaner car was a new IS300 which is a decent car but no SC.
24 hour service
They were very patient when I had to get some parts shipped to them.
They are mod friendly.

What was bad:
Changing the price all of a sudden.

Labor rate is $105/hr which is $20 less than the other.

If you want work done from someone reliable and fair then I suggest you call John or Sandy at Exact Motorsports in Milpitas. Tell them Mike with the SC300 sent you and they will treat you right.