Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Starter/Battery Connection Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-12, 04:18 PM
lex3gs3198
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter/Battery Connection Problem

Hello all,
I drive a 1999 Lexus GS300. I have had trouble starting the car recently, after it rained. When I turn the key, the power supplying the dashboard gets shut off, the lights all dim, and the car tries to turn over, but eventually the engine just craps out and all I hear is a quick clicking noise. Not long ago, I replaced my spark plugs and wires, so do not think they are faulty. Because of posts I have read, I am thinking of cleaning and reattaching my battery connections, and replacing the starter. Do you think this will fix my problem and how do I go about with the battery (I have found a link with this model car and replacing the starter). Thanks
Old 07-24-12, 04:25 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

If you hear a click-click-click, your battery is toast.
Replace the battery.
Old 07-25-12, 11:00 AM
lex3gs3198
Driver School Candidate

Would the lights/radio/AC still work well even if the battery is 'toast'? I will check the date on it tonight. I think it is fairly recent.
Old 07-26-12, 01:16 PM
lex3gs3198
Driver School Candidate

hmm so i checked the battery and it is from 2011. I tried jump starting the car with a friends car as well, and same problem. the key turns, as the car tries to turn over the lights on the dashboard dim, and the car sounds like it is going to start then craps out. any other ideas besides the battery? Thanks
Old 07-26-12, 02:19 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Than could be your alternator.
Old 07-26-12, 02:55 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It is definitely NOT your alternator. All you need to start your engine is enough battery voltage. Are you sure you were boosting the engine properly? If you replaced your ignition components recently, were they connected properly?
Old 07-26-12, 03:43 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

sure sounds a lot like a dead battery, perhaps dead cell in the battery - a dead cell may prevent the car from starting, even with a jump start... get the battery tested before doing anything else...
Old 07-26-12, 05:43 PM
lex3gs3198
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BDSL
It is definitely NOT your alternator. All you need to start your engine is enough battery voltage. Are you sure you were boosting the engine properly? If you replaced your ignition components recently, were they connected properly?
The jump start was correct, Im sure, bc I have done it before. The spark plugs and wires were replaced by a professional, and he sure as hell charged me as though he did it properly. I have a multimeter (if i can figure out what setting to put it on) I will test the battery tonight. But my AC, radio, and lights all seem to be fine. The car was running until a few days ago when it rained. I dunno if that has anything to do with it. I think a battery is only ~$50 so maybe Ill just try and replace it. The current battery is only a year old, so maybe I can get a replacement from the manufacturer.
Old 07-26-12, 05:51 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by lex3gs3198
The jump start was correct, Im sure, bc I have done it before. The spark plugs and wires were replaced by a professional, and he sure as hell charged me as though he did it properly. I have a multimeter (if i can figure out what setting to put it on) I will test the battery tonight. But my AC, radio, and lights all seem to be fine. The car was running until a few days ago when it rained. I dunno if that has anything to do with it. I think a battery is only ~$50 so maybe Ill just try and replace it. The current battery is only a year old, so maybe I can get a replacement from the manufacturer.
Set it to 20 volt or 100 volt DC, whatever is closest without being less than 15 volts... if you have less than 12 volts, even after charging, then chances are you have a dead cell in the battery, this can happen even with brand new batteries... usually a battery with a dead cell will show 10 to 10.5 volts, give or take...
Old 07-27-12, 10:53 AM
lex3gs3198
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Set it to 20 volt or 100 volt DC, whatever is closest without being less than 15 volts... if you have less than 12 volts, even after charging, then chances are you have a dead cell in the battery, this can happen even with brand new batteries... usually a battery with a dead cell will show 10 to 10.5 volts, give or take...
Kudos to this man. I had right at under 11V (battery unhooked, before charging). I was able to get the car to turn over with cables on again, but it crapped out hte second I took my foot off the gas. We let it sit on jumper cables for a bit, repeated but this time I kept the gas on for a minute or two, not letting the car idle. After a min or two, I was able to drive around (1st time in days) so I drove the car for about 30 minutes, and hopefully charged the battery. It has been really hot here recently so my friend was telling me something about replacing the water in the battery? If the car doesnt start again, would the best course of action be to just buy a new battery, or is there something I can do to fix this year old battery? If a new one is necessary, any recommendations for a 1999 gs300? Much thanks to all you guys for the help so far, this is a great website and I am glad to have found it.
Old 07-28-12, 07:13 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Most batteries any more are not user serviceable... they should never have to have water added unless there is something wrong with it... check the voltage now after you have driven it some... if it is not over 12 volts, the battery definitely has a dead cell and will never recuperate from that...

the only thing you can do from a diy standpoint with batteries, unfortunately, is replace them... I dont know of any quality batteries that have less than a 1 year free replacement warranty, perhaps take it back to where you got it...