Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

well... the gs4 just left me stranded..

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-02, 01:33 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You might want to check out Toyota batteries. I remember when I went looking for one on my '98, there was something special that I saw in one of their brochures. It made me want to buy it. FYI
Old 11-18-02, 05:46 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The optima RED cap or Yellow cap is the best but expensive!!! I plan on getting one when my battery gives out!
Old 11-18-02, 05:53 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the same thing happened with my battery. i would guess that the normal expectancy is about 4 yrs. the funny thing is is that it didnt really give any warning that it was dying. the last time i cranked (krunk ) it up, it sounded slower than normal and then the next time nothing. glad that you got it fixed though.......

Doc
Old 11-18-02, 06:49 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all fairness to the Optima batteries, they're really a waste, especially for someone with a stock car (no video, stereo enhancements etc). I would have done just what you did and gone out to pick one up for $40 or so, it gets the job done right?

Dr. Rick is exactly right, its very rare to have a battery last more than 4 years or so, which is why I replace them as a matter of maintenance after 3, just to avoid being stranded. Batteries are cheap, they're easy to install, why not swap it out before it gives out on ya?

Glad she's runnin again.
Old 11-18-02, 06:49 PM
LexFather

I only replace my Lexus battery with a Lexus one.
Old 11-18-02, 06:53 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I only replace my Lexus battery with a Lexus one.
You mean a Toyota one. Also, can I ask why? Any battery with the same cold cranking amps and volt specs will do the same job, buy the one with the best warranty, and 9 times out of 10 it'll be as good or better than the OEM one. Can't go wrong with a Sears Craftsman, Optima, or even less expensive ones like what gs bought, as long as it has a warranty.

A battery is a battery, the Toyota one isn't special, except that Lexus will charge you $500 for it.
Old 11-18-02, 09:11 PM
LexFather

A battery is a battery, the Toyota one isn't special, except that Lexus will charge you $500 for it
Your right. I replace my ES 300 battery with a name-brand battery because it does not need the Lexus battery. I replace my GS 400 battery with the Lexus battery.

Why? Because the ES does not need the power and IMO is not worth the cost of a Lexus battery. The GS on the other hand IMO DESERVES my paying $96 for the Lexus battery. \

So it depends on which "Toyota" you own.
Old 11-18-02, 09:17 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

mike,

with all due respect, a toyota/lexus battery is not better simply because of its name. an interstate battery with the requisite cca's (cold cranking amps) will do the job in most cases better than your lexus battery. it all depends on application. but i dont think that your GS will be any better with a lexus battery than any other reputable brand.........
Old 11-18-02, 09:23 PM
LexFather

Doc are u here or in Austin? If your here, we can argue this crap at the world bar and have a fight

I only replace my Lexus battery with a Lexus one
That is all I said, I never said any other battery sucks. In MY EXPERIENCE, the Lexus batteries work fine, last for years and why mess with it? I never said NOT to try anything else. One of the GOOD things about buying an aftermarket battery is they pro-rate the battery at Advance Auto parts. I paid $50 for the first battery for the ES and like $8 for the 2nd one.

So u trying to fight or what
Old 11-18-02, 10:11 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Doc are u here or in Austin? If your here, we can argue this crap at the world bar and have a fight

LMAO!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-02, 10:29 PM
LexFather

Default Doc...

hee hee hee...
Attached Thumbnails well... the gs4 just left me stranded..-hellraiser.jpg  
Old 11-18-02, 10:40 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

i would never argue..........
Attached Thumbnails well... the gs4 just left me stranded..-evil.jpg  
Old 11-18-02, 10:41 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

but we can do the damn thang on fri, sat, or sun.............holla at your boy!!! its gonna be epic...........
Old 11-18-02, 10:45 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

You guys got me rolling out my seat!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-02, 10:51 PM
LexFather

Default Doc, "I show u how to do this son"

Doc, you ain't ready to hang dude. How many chics u want?????

They are gonna get u drunk and take pics. U will be
Attached Thumbnails well... the gs4 just left me stranded..-kittyowned.jpg  

Quick Reply: well... the gs4 just left me stranded..