Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

GS300 Power Steering Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-12, 11:58 AM
CSGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 Power Steering Squeal

Greetings. First post.

Couldn't find existing posting describing exact issue...

GS300, 2001, 120,000 miles. Recently had timing and all belts changed as periodic maintenance. Heard light squeal as soon as I picked car up. Figured I would give it a few days...Its gotten worse. Sounds like it coming from the PS pump. Interesting thing is, the squeal STOPS when I turn the wheel. I did the air in reservoir checks, etc., and doesn't seem to be that. Fluid looks full, but does smell a bit toasty. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 08-30-12, 08:15 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you hear the squeal prior to having the timing belt package replaced?

The idler pulley (for the drive belt) is known to make noise when it starts to go out. Turning the steering wheel may just be putting extra tension on the belt, making the noise subside.
Old 08-31-12, 07:11 AM
CSGS
Driver School Candidate

Definitely did not hear it before belt changes. Any techniques to narrow down if it is the idler pulley? Could some lubrication on that pulley give me a quick clue if it is the root cause?

Thanks for the support.
Old 09-01-12, 07:47 AM
CSGS
Driver School Candidate

Update: I emptied the PS fluid reservoir, (turkey baster). Fluid was dark, dark brown, with some while "gook" floating in it. Fluid smelling burnt. Refilled with new PS fluid. No change in squeal.

I listened closely, and the sound does not sound like it is coming from idler pulley. It sounds like its coming from PS or maybe AC compressor (?), (directly under PS pump?)
The squeal actually lowers pitch when rpm's are increased, and almost goes away under high rmp's. Again, squeal completely disappears when I turn the wheel even slightly. (There is very little if any movement of idler arm pulley when I turn the wheel).

It really sounds like a bearing/shaft kind of "squeal".

Any clues?
Old 09-02-12, 06:26 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The idler pulley he was talking about was for the timing belt which is behind the plastic covers - it would be hard to eliminate it by sound, however, your symptoms point more towards a idler pulley or tensioner pulley (idler arm pulley is not a good term - idler arm is a suspension component on many trucks) - easiest way to check either of those pulleys is to simply take the belt off, spin them and check for play both radially and axially...

there is a chance it is the power steering pump after all and it just gets quieter with a load on it...
Old 01-04-13, 01:38 PM
pappi23
Driver School Candidate

I have a squeel problem as well but in reverse. The car was sitting for a about 6 months in a garage and when I got it out again there's this consistent creaking squeel when I turn the wheels (no work was done on any belts). Any ideas?
Old 01-04-13, 02:46 PM
DASMan
Rookie

May not apply here, but in my younger days, I had a Monte Carlo that had developed a horrible squeal after a belt change. It turned out to be an issue whereby the pulley had become "glazed" because of the old worn belts. Check to see if you can see any deposits on the groove of the pully. It may just need a bit of cleaning / belt dressing. The squeal can be caused by the belt slipping.
Old 01-04-13, 07:59 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happening to my 98 Lexus ls400 it was quiet before the timing belt and water pump change. I then change the top idler and it was quiet then t started again next morning and it tends to only happen when it's cold. Tomorrow I am going to change the serpentine belt same time ill be changing and flushing my radiator. My serpentine belt look fine when I took it off but from reading etc it says it could of been wet or slipping which cause squeak