Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Anyone doing oil analysis

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-02, 11:19 AM
jboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone doing oil analysis

Hi,

Is anyone doing oil analysis with their engines? If so, which service are you using and you happy with the results?

Thanks,

jboy
Old 11-23-02, 06:25 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You want to know something about oil, do you???? You have got to check out www.bobistheoilguy.com It is unbelievable. As with all sites, this has a particular flavor (slant ) so just remember. Everybody's selling
Old 11-25-02, 01:27 AM
jboy
Driver

Originally posted by gebo
You want to know something about oil, do you???? You have got to check out www.bobistheoilguy.com It is unbelievable. As with all sites, this has a particular flavor (slant ) so just remember. Everybody's selling
A little different.

Oil Anaysis is accoplished by burning a sample of the oil in a mass spec. Based on the spectrum of light released they can determine the chemical composition of the oil and determine if it contains things like aluminum from positons, iron from rods and cranks, silica from sand, etc. These are indicative of potential engine problems. What you do is plot the value of these contaminents over time. If you see something take a spike you need to investigate. You can detect bearking wear, an air flitler leak, etc. using oil analysis.
Old 12-11-02, 08:45 AM
adale
Rookie

Default oil analysis

I have had it done several times. I was trying to find out if the claims by air filter companies have any truth to them or just hype.
Old 12-11-02, 07:52 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Default Re: oil analysis

Originally posted by adale
I have had it done several times. I was trying to find out if the claims by air filter companies have any truth to them or just hype.

And???
Old 12-13-02, 06:54 PM
oldguy
Driver

To those of us over a certain age, and being aware of the improvements in design, manufacturing, metals, and oil composition, this seems a little silly, except for the reason stated, namely to check out claims by filter makers or such.

Please tell what you have found? Adale? Please share.
Old 04-20-05, 06:18 AM
adale
Rookie

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I did an analysis on another manf. car with a "high flow" air filter after reading the only way to get the filter to flow more is to cut down on the small particle filtering capabilities. Not wanting to trash a couple of thousand $$ motor, I ran a analysis about 6 years ago. I was running name brand synth oil. The first sample came back with high, sorry I don't remember the exact number, of silicone (aka sand). I ran another 5k on fresh oil and filter and sent in another sample with the same results. The info that came with the kit explained this can come from several sources such as, poor air filtering, vacuum leak, old oil not lubricating correctly and damaging some internal components on some cars. I checked for vacuum leaks, didn't find any and I changed my oil every 5K with a high quality filter change too. I put the OEM stock air filter back in and ran the car for 5K, sent in another analysis, and WOW...the silicones down considerably. I called the manufacture of the "high flow" filters and they explained their filters did not filter as small of particles as the OEM, but they filter better the dirtier they get and I should not be cleaning it as ofter (every 6 months).

As a side note, the big truck industry has known this for a long time that is why many of the OTR drivers still use the OEM stile filters as the small particles they need filtered is what really distroyes an engine.

I am not endorsing or recommending anybody do anything or any products. These are just my findings. Also I have changed cars (to a Lexus), to a different air filter and I have not done any more analysis since the 5K mile oil that I had checked never showed any reason to change it as often as I do except for dirt. Just remember that todays quality oils can go a longtime and not breakdown, even longer if you use synth. But the dirt and crud has to be filtered well and removed in a timely manner as the longer we drive on the oil the less true oil is in the oil pan, ALL engines use a little oil.

Sorry for the long post and please do not flame me as I am in no way trying to start a oil war again.
Old 04-20-05, 08:55 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Many of us like long posts! How much does analysis cost? With the coupons and rebates that often appear in local newpapers, I usually pay less than $15 for oil changes. Seems like the money spent on analysis might be put to better use with more frequent oil changes, since almost any problem revealed by analysis might be detected by other means anyway, or prevented by following maintenance schedules.
Old 04-20-05, 09:57 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This link is a pretty objective one on high flow vs paper filter. Conclusion (draw your own) is that high flow ones may not give you much improvement, but it also does not filter as bad as we thought.
Paper vs High Flow
Old 04-20-05, 10:14 AM
adale
Rookie

My analysis cost like $10 then and I have no idea about what it costs now. I have read the link that was posted and I agree the certain high flows do work well. I use one of the ones named in the article. I don't do it for the high flow, I did it for the cost saving over the long haul.
Old 04-20-05, 10:59 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jboy
Is anyone doing oil analysis with their engines? If so, which service are you using and you happy with the results?
I don't. And I don't test my corn, canola, fish, and olive oil that I take into my body, either. I think it's plain silly to test the motor oil. I don't care about ash, copper, or zinc readings for the motor oil. If it's dark, change it. How hard is that?

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-01-05, 10:08 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So its better to use the OEM filter instead of the intakes?
Old 05-01-05, 04:58 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not tested mine and won't, there are too many variables in testing fluids with insoluble particles. And, changing at regular intervals with synthetic makes the issue moot to me anyway.
Old 05-03-05, 09:09 AM
cgatch
Rookie

Here's the website of a testing company that's popular amongst different auto club forums, www.Blackstone-Labs.com. I found the website informative although, I haven't use their services yet. Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-05, 11:40 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I use them for periodic checks. If you go by the recco'd change intervals, I'd say skip it unless you are just dying to get some analysis info to ponder.

If your car has sub 70K and you have no obvious signs of excessive oil consumption, coolant loss, fouled plugs, blah-blah, save the $. If you get on it and push it hard, an analysis every now and then may be interesting.

YMMV and since it's your car and $$ do as you feel appropriate. As an aside, you can get a blood panel and urine analysis with your annual medical check-up. This can be part of an important part of body function...more so as you age. This is yours to care for as you find reasonable.

Quick Reply: Anyone doing oil analysis