Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

No Fire To Cylinders After Changing Starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 09:51 AM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Fire To Cylinders After Changing Starter

I have a 1991 Lexus LS400 with 237k miles. My starter went out this past weekend while I was getting new tires for the car.. While on the way at a stop light, the car kinda lurched and as I looked at my dash it was flicking off and on. I continued to drive to the shop and as I shut the car off it was still running, so I disconnected the battery and the car shut off--but prior to me disconnecting the battery I heard loud clicks coming from the engine. I got my tires put on and tried to start the car but no sound or clicks--dead starter. Got my code reader to check for codes and got code 12 (Crankshaft Position Sensor) which I replaced. I also replaced the coolant temperature sensor and the coolant temperature sender. Had everything put back togerther and now the car will not turn over. Mechanic concluded that there's no fire going to the cylinders after checking all of the wires and possible trouble spots. Please help me wiith this issue as I'm trying to chase down a complicated electrical problem to get the car to start...Thanks in advance...
Old 10-01-12, 01:37 PM
ZEEE51
Driver School Candidate

Try locking and unlocking driver's door with the key. Sounds dumb i know but if the alarm was set, it could keep car from turning over.
Old 10-01-12, 07:47 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Originally Posted by ZEEE51
Try locking and unlocking driver's door with the key. Sounds dumb i know but if the alarm was set, it could keep car from turning over.
I did that as I thought the alarm was still disabling the car but I already ran that problem down...thanks for your input...
Old 10-01-12, 08:37 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Will not turn over or will not fire?

Crank but no start is definitely different than won't crank or start...

Your original post is a little confusing - can you re write it in a logical order?
Old 10-02-12, 11:31 AM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Will not turn over or will not fire?

Crank but no start is definitely different than won't crank or start...

Your original post is a little confusing - can you re write it in a logical order?
Sorry for the confusion.. Initially when the problem started, when I turned the key there was no clicks or sounds from the starter...dead silence and the dashboard lights were all on...after I replaced the starter and the other parts that I mentioned, it would crank but not turn over to start...hope this clears up any confusion...thanks for your help...
Old 10-03-12, 06:01 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Ok, that makes a little more sense... so, it turns over but won't start... well, since the only two things that could have changed is you might not have fuel, or you might not have spark, we have to figure out which... spark is easy - pull a spark plug, leave it attached to the wire, hold it (with insulated pliers) against a ground, have someone crank - if you see spark, well, there ya go... no spark - we need to investigate that further... Your original issue - the Code 12, crankshaft position sensor - which you replaced - worries me a little - I would try putting the old one back in... My old SC400 would throw a random CKP code every once in a while, I'd clear it, it wouldn't come back for 6 months or so... It would be a good idea to check coils for power (there are two)...

I would start there, then report back...
Old 10-03-12, 10:25 AM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Ok, that makes a little more sense... so, it turns over but won't start... well, since the only two things that could have changed is you might not have fuel, or you might not have spark, we have to figure out which... spark is easy - pull a spark plug, leave it attached to the wire, hold it (with insulated pliers) against a ground, have someone crank - if you see spark, well, there ya go... no spark - we need to investigate that further... Your original issue - the Code 12, crankshaft position sensor - which you replaced - worries me a little - I would try putting the old one back in... My old SC400 would throw a random CKP code every once in a while, I'd clear it, it wouldn't come back for 6 months or so... It would be a good idea to check coils for power (there are two)...

I would start there, then report back...
I am leaning towards the coils because it seems like it's not getting enough power to even turn over. The battery is fully charged and the altenator is < 2yrs old. If that don't solve it then as a last resoort, I'm have to check the ECU to either fix or replace...but I will let u know what I find out--thanks for the tip...
Old 10-04-12, 10:33 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

It threw a code 35 --something dealing with the HAC....any thoughts of what this code refers to and how to fix it....could this have something to do with the car not turning over....?
Old 10-15-12, 03:23 AM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Originally Posted by NTRUDA
It threw a code 35 --something dealing with the HAC....any thoughts of what this code refers to and how to fix it....could this have something to do with the car not turning over....?
Can anyone help with this issue...? Please...?
Old 10-15-12, 09:25 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

that code relates to a barometric pressure sensor... not very familiar with it, but it shouldn't keep the car from starting, I wouldn't think... might make it run poorly...

need to know more... barely turns over? did I read that right?