Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Climate Control Indicators fail when its cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-02, 02:42 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Climate Control Indicators fail when its cold

I have a 2000 GS400 with Navigation system and integrated climate control. Under cold conditions (overnight sit), when I start the vehicle in the morning the climate control indicators buttons (Auto, Recycle vs Fresh, and Defrost) as well as the climate control display shows the buttons but does not indicate (through hilight) the current setting.

After running the vehicle for a bit (5-15 minutes, never the same amount of time), if I shut the car off, and start it up again the buttons appear.

This problem only occurs in the winter, and does not seem to happen at any particular temparate I can figure. The dealer has seen the car once before and has not been helpful ("we couldn't replicate the problem").

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 12-03-02, 09:04 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

No one else has had this problem?
Old 12-03-02, 09:04 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I was hoping maybe there was a recall. How can I get the recall list of items?
Old 12-04-02, 09:55 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Hehe, not often someone has a problem with a Lexus. It has gotten us lazy on how to locate solutions to these problems. Or even know where a recall list might be located. :-)

Again please help on this.
Old 12-04-02, 10:49 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds to me like your car is cold and the climate control is off. When the car warms up the climate control will turn on and warm up the car. Until then it remains off instead of blowing cold air at you. Does this help answer your question?
Old 12-04-02, 07:11 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If this problem happened every morning, how about drop off your car for overnight. This way the tech. can check it out in the morning. How cold you are talking about when this happened?
Old 12-05-02, 02:23 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by UTGS400
It sounds to me like your car is cold and the climate control is off. When the car warms up the climate control will turn on and warm up the car. Until then it remains off instead of blowing cold air at you. Does this help answer your question?
The heating works perfectly once the car warms up (and in the auto position, though you cannot tell), but the indicators should be lit during this entire time. By indicators I mean the black buttons that have the green lights in them for Auto, Air Flow (recycle and fresh), and the defroster buttons. Additionally on the nav display the visual buttons work, but don't get selected. For example I can force the Climate control into a high fan speed by pressing the tan high button inside the touch screen, but the button won't stay the green color indicating that selection.
Old 12-05-02, 02:25 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I definitely need to drop it off again, but as mentioned the dealer didn't give me the response last time I was looking for. LIke they didn't care.

I was interested to know if there are any recalls for the climate control or if any of you knew about it.

I will be turning the car in a couple of weeks hopefully, have a new GX470 coming soon!!! :-)
Old 12-05-02, 07:41 AM
zz231
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same problem. mine is a 2000 gs300 with the nav. it only happens when it's really cold after the car sits all night. the heat still works and everything. but the buttons on the screen won't light up green to indicate what's on. after it warms up (a few minutes) shut off the car and start again and everything is back to normal. weird.

I've had this problem every winter ever since i bought the car 2 years ago. i took it to both pohanka lexus in chantilly, va and lindsy lexus in alexandria, va but they couldn't figure it out. so now i just live with it it's not a big deal just really annoying.
Old 12-07-02, 01:38 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

That's such a crazy coincidence, I took mine to Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly also!!! They were also of no help :-)

I am turning mine in soon for the GX470, though I will miss the thrusting power of the GS400. It will be tough to leave behind.
Old 12-07-02, 05:03 PM
shftup
Intermediate

Never had this problem, and we get stupid cold weather up here. Last Tuesday is was -35C at night:eek:
But i have a garage.....so only about -15C, but even if its out for a couple hours, never had that happen.
Old 12-08-02, 10:02 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Someone has to know of this problem. Anyone have friends at Lexus?
Old 12-08-02, 10:11 PM
AllstarMcC
Driver School Candidate

Sounds to me like the connections for the lights need to be resoldered, as they aren't making a good enough connection until it warms up. If the heat is actually working, even if the lights are off, that's your problem.
Old 12-10-02, 04:32 PM
zz231
Pole Position

Originally posted by AllstarMcC
Sounds to me like the connections for the lights need to be resoldered, as they aren't making a good enough connection until it warms up. If the heat is actually working, even if the lights are off, that's your problem.
That could be it, but the funny thing is, the navigation buttons on the screen and the radio buttons on the screen work fine and light up green when you make the selection. it's only the climate control buttons that don't light up when i press them except after the car warms up.
Old 12-12-02, 06:15 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

For me it is the physical buttons and their green indicator lights within. If the soldered connections were bad, why don't they turn on when it gets warm, why would they need me to restart the car.

Additionally, for me the NAV screen shows the buttons all completely tan (meaning not selected). If I press a button, it flashes green, the function works, but the green goes away back to tan. As if to indicate they are not selected, however as mentioned, the function works.

Quick Reply: Climate Control Indicators fail when its cold