Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
Old 12-16-14, 11:54 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Most likely cause of this squeak (brakes on LS460)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 11:26 AM
jimxms2
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Most likely cause of this squeak (brakes on LS460)

Hi guys,

I'm getting ready to tackle a brake squeak issue on my LS460 at the weekend, but as I've always avoided messing with brakes I could use some input from knowledgeable ones on where to start

Basically when parked up if I press my foot hard down on the brakes, I get a muffled squeak (almost like a squeaky windscreen wiper noise) from the front passenger side. I can reproduce it as many times as I like, and the same brake also seems to grab slightly when releasing the brakes as I pull away.

Any ideas?
Old 11-02-12, 01:08 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, If you feel like that passenger front corner is still "grabby" after you let off the brake, I'd immediately say you might have a caliper that is starting to hang up. if this is the case, that corner will get excessively hot during braking ( think of somebody keeping the brake applied 10% of the way the entire time you are driving) . Pads get to hot and become glazed, there's your squeek! Some questions. Does it only squeek when you are pressing the brake pedal down, or does it squeek all the time? When braking, does it feel like that passenger side brake is applying harder, or making the car pull to the right?
Old 11-02-12, 02:11 PM
jimxms2
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
First off, If you feel like that passenger front corner is still "grabby" after you let off the brake, I'd immediately say you might have a caliper that is starting to hang up. if this is the case, that corner will get excessively hot during braking ( think of somebody keeping the brake applied 10% of the way the entire time you are driving) . Pads get to hot and become glazed, there's your squeek! Some questions. Does it only squeek when you are pressing the brake pedal down, or does it squeek all the time? When braking, does it feel like that passenger side brake is applying harder, or making the car pull to the right?
Here's the scenario's I've noticed so far.....

1) If I go out to the car now (even though its not been used all week), start the car and plant my foot hard down on the brake pedal (with the car still in park) I will get this squeak from the passenger wheel area. I can keep pressing the pedal hard and making it squeak as many times as I like.

2) If I then go to pull away by putting my foot on the brake and switching the gear lever to D, when the gear engages and the car tries to pull forward I'll get another squeak.

3) When driving if I brake (hard or soft), the car brakes in a straight line without any squeak.

4) If I stop at the lights, when they turn green and I take my foot off the brake I get a tiny squeak accompanied by what feels like the pad grabbing slightly on the passenger side.

Hope that helps?
Old 11-02-12, 08:33 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

lube caliper slides if applicable, clean or replace pad hardware...
Old 11-02-12, 09:21 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I would not recommend novices do any work on their LS460 brake systems. They are electronically controlled, and cant even be bled properly without a scantool. The LS460 is known to have a "chirp" type noise come from the abs actuator assembly when applying the brakes, even when at a stop. The initial remedy to this is to do a full brake bleed. If this doesnt solve the problem, replacement of the actuator is required. The actuator is on the driver side of the car, near the firewall. You might want to pop the hood, and have someone else replicate the noise so you can more accurately pinpoint the source.
Old 11-04-12, 12:35 PM
jimxms2
Rookie

Video of squeak noise. Can anyone positively ID it:

http://youtu.be/6T28bn5HAwU
Old 11-04-12, 08:32 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

That sounds like the actuator noise to me... hard to say for sure without being there in person to pinpoint it though.