Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Creaking brakes doing my nut!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 01:10 PM
jimxms2
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Creaking brakes doing my nut!

OK I'll try to be as quick and concise with this as possible....

I bought an LS460 earlier in the year. Within a few weeks it developed a creaking noise under braking just before the car came to a complete stop. The noise and feel of the creak is almost like the pads are grabbing the rotors during the final 0.5mph of slowing to a halt.

As the rotors were almost totally worn down, I purchased new OEM rotors and pads and went about fitting them myself.

I moved all of the shims over from the old pads to the new ones, cleaned everything up, used copperslip on the shims and the back of the pads and red grease on the sliding pins. Everything was pretty much minty fresh.

This sorted the problem for about a week (until the crosshatching on the new rotors had worn off), but its back again now!

Interestingly, if I do a couple of heavy 60-10mph stops during a journey, the problem clears. Is the issue related to the way I drive the LS? Thought I find it hard to believe I could induce such a problem as none of my previous cars have exhibited the same issue.

Any ideas guys?
Old 01-02-13, 02:07 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

creaking or squeaking?

many times, squeaks and squeals can be very difficult to eliminate completely - it is a vibration that is happening at just the right (wrong) time causing the noise you hear...sounds like you have done all the proper prep work for the new brakes...

if it is a creaking, have we checked ball joints and bushings??? torque on the front end can cause a creak when coming to a stop too...
Old 01-03-13, 05:22 AM
jimxms2
Rookie

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
creaking or squeaking?

many times, squeaks and squeals can be very difficult to eliminate completely - it is a vibration that is happening at just the right (wrong) time causing the noise you hear...sounds like you have done all the proper prep work for the new brakes...

if it is a creaking, have we checked ball joints and bushings??? torque on the front end can cause a creak when coming to a stop too...

Thanks for the reply

Its definitely a creaking. I did give all of the suspension components a basic visual inspection when changing the brakes as I had though that it may have been a possiblity, but I couldn't see or feel anything obviously wrong.

The same noise can also be reproduced when I'm waiting in traffic and I take my foot off the brake enough for the car to creep forwards slightly. The brakes feel like they unbind from the rotors and then as I come to a complete stop again they grab causing the creak.

All other braking/suspension circumstances are fine:

- I can accellerate or brake heavily with no noise
- Can turn the wheel full-lock in either direction with no noise.
- Turn while going over a speedbump with no noise

It's just when I'm going for gradual, civilised slow-downs without the sudden stop that it occurs. And its driving me mad
Old 01-07-13, 09:35 AM
jimxms2
Rookie

Bumpage
Old 02-03-13, 10:54 AM
slideland
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year?
Old 02-04-13, 03:01 AM
jimxms2
Rookie

Originally Posted by slideland
What year?
Its an 07. Thanks
Old 02-04-13, 05:52 AM
slideland
Rookie

If at all possible do you Have access to a lift or jack comfortably? Lately i see More and More ls suspension parts make noise i think you..have a case of subframe or lower control arm bushing wear. Ask mitsu guy for his input on my diagnosis. Can you record the noise for me. Lower arm bushings wear the fastest on any ls ever made. Lets start with that inspection. Look for cracking and tearing. And please post a pic of them so i can validate their condition

Last edited by slideland; 02-04-13 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-04-13, 06:01 AM
slideland
Rookie

Better yet are you sure you eliminated your brakes cause your shim kit and brackets arent worn? If they are infact all new did you install the pad wear indicator properly? (squeaker pins) but the best diagnosis to anything ia a proper visual inspection.
Old 08-01-13, 03:23 PM
EcHo714
Driver

did you ever find the problem? i have the same problem right now on my car and i thought it was my rotors and pads so i changed them and i still have the noises
Old 08-05-13, 05:17 AM
jimxms2
Rookie

Originally Posted by EcHo714
did you ever find the problem? i have the same problem right now on my car and i thought it was my rotors and pads so i changed them and i still have the noises
As per my PM (for the benefit of others):

Annoyingly I still have the problem. Whats strange is that my car has been in for a service with a main dealer (who collected my car) and has also had an MOT, and neither have brought it up as an issue.

Does your noise rectify its self during a long journey? I seem to find that once the brakes have been used for a while that it magically goes away.

To me it definitely feels like the pads are gripping the rotors, but I also put on new pads and rotors just like you.

let me know if you happen to get to the bottom of it!
Old 08-12-13, 10:07 PM
guardrail9
Rookie

what friction material you using? ceramic, metallic, semi-met? if it was ceramic pads then did you follow the brake in procedure? also i dont think this is what your hearing but you might try going down to a local auto parts store (i know napa carry's them) and get some caliper piston cushions. they sit on the piston bore and dampen vibration that alot of toyotas are known for.
Old 08-25-13, 10:15 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, over time the dust covers rip or tear and the caliper piston push pins become dry and noisy. Unscrew the caliper and you will see two dust cover, remove the dust covers, and you will see the long pistons. You can pull those out and grease them with brake grease. Not just any grease it's got to be able to with stand very hot high temp. Lube them real good and put them back together. Do the other side too. Whenever you do a brake job it's always good to not over look this. This often never gets done when people do brake jobs.
Old 10-23-13, 08:43 AM
Boomer9094
Driver School Candidate

Default brake noise?

did anyone fix or find out what it was? my guess is ball joints or joint bushings