Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Clogged wiper fluid nozzle

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-02, 02:50 PM
ruze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clogged wiper fluid nozzle

I just realized when trying to clean the windshield that the left nozzle is really clogged. The wiper fluid that comes out of it is barely a drizzle. The right (passenger) one seems pretty weak too, but I am wondering if there is any way to fix this. Do I have to buy new nozzles and replace them (and would this be covered under warranty?) or is there a way to clean them out.. I don't know if there's any stuff I can buy that might clean them out from the inside or if there's another procedure.

TIA
Old 12-26-02, 03:24 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen this alot on many types of cars. A simple fix that I do before replaceing nozzles and hoses is to use compressed air.

find where the nozzle comes throught the hood. follow the hose to the T connector or th first place it can be easily disconnected.
When disconnected make the washer squirt. You want to see if the obstruction is further back from here or closer to the nozzle.
If the fluid flows fast and free fro the hose, the obstruction is between the point of disconnection and the nozzle.

Use an industrial/garage type air compressor with a rubber jet nozzle and blow air into the nozzle from where the fluid EXITS. You want the obstruction to go backwards, not to get further caught in the nozzle. Reconnect the hose and see if the fluid now flows free.

If the obstruction is further back, maybe the fluid tank or motor is clogged with debris. Keep tracing it back to the tank.

Paste car wax is also a big culprit of nozzle clogging. Hot water and toothbrush work well on the outside of the nozzle.

sticking common pins, needles, and piano wire into the nozzle can result in distorted spraying.

Good luck

sj