Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

rate your dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-01, 12:56 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus of Seattle;Lynwood Wa

1 star

Would be tough to go back

Names/contact; Paul,Kirsten,everyone was courteous...

Semed like an average,routine 90K,with other parts replaced also until afterwards I noticed a funny idle,looked and found missing hose clamps,wires loose/rubbing on belt,several wire retainers broken.Returned to the dealer to remedy the situation and got zip ties instead of original clips.When I asked if they could get the original($1.82)parts they'd broken during the service operation,they suggested that I order them from the parts dept.
After spending over $4,000 for service I expected more than that.
I can't explain this one,but my headlights are all scratched up now after the visit;I know what they looked like because I just hand polished them a week before(?) Also the plastic mounting ears for the lights were freshly broken where they attach to the core support.
Did they swap the lights,or what?

The pricing seemed a bit on the high side;along with $90 an hour,they charged me where they could for diagnosing,and failed to honor a promise of %10 off the labor for the 90K service.

Last edited by SCV8; 07-15-01 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-21-01, 05:10 AM
claymax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alderson Lexus of Lubbock (TX)

Alderson Lexus of Lubbock
Lubbock, TX
* 1 Star
Service - NO!!!
Parts - Yes
Service Manager - Rudy Salazar - arrogant jackass.

Comments - The only way you will get 'fair' service here is if you buy the car here new. I bought a local doctor's car who had bought it from them and I'm treated as though I'm coming in with a Yugo. I've had the car in their hands 3 different times now, each time giving them a laundry list of things to do. Things I fully expected to be charged for, but they never complete the job, or even come close. "Oh, we just didn't have time to do that." Yet when I call to see if it is ready, they tell me it is all done. Loaner cars, if they have them, are always old beat up Toyota Camrys or worse.

The last time I had it in for a rear quarter panel repair. So, I took it in to Rudy (@&%$*) and he asks me if I had made an appointment. Yes Rudy I had, 2 weeks ago. Who did I speak with? It was YOU Rudy, glad to see you were listening when I called. So he sighs loudly and walks me over to the body shop guys. I'm about to drop $2-3000 for this and other stuff so I ask about my loaner. Oh, I can't give you a loaner says Rudy, the body shop would have to do that, we're separate, even though we're the same company, my hands are tied. (BS! If I was the original owner, they would have picked the car up at my house and taken care of everything. He told me all about what kind of service to expect, but I've never seen a glimpse of it.) So I had to RENT a P.O.S. Chevy Sunfire (or something) from THEM, for $20 a day!!! What a bunch of friggin crap! A business where everyone points the finger at everyone else and says, it's not MY problem. Simply really bad customer service. A really horrible place to do business.

My car has NEVER been washed when I get it back. I got FAR superior service from Honda when I drove a 15 year old Honda CRX Si.

So, let me conclude;

- Surly service manager.
- Not my job, not my problem mentality.
- Crappy loaner car, if available, may have to rent one of theirs.
- Didn't buy from us, don't want to know you kind of place.

I think Alderson's mission statement should be," To provide a fair amount of service for outrageous prices, so long as you bought your car from us, and it's not too old (less than 3 years), and you look like you have a lot of money or are a local celebrity. Otherwise take your damn car to someone else as we just don't care!"

I will NEVER buy a vehicle from them. I have a 60k service coming up, and I will be coordinating that with a trip to Dallas, Austin or Houston to get it done. These morons will not touch my vehicle again, if I can help it. (Famous last words, right?) When they are the only dealer around for hours, I guess they get an attitude. I just wish Daddy Lexus would come by and set them straight.

I love my sc400 and I know there are good dealers around. Could Texans please PM me with Texas dealers you can recommend? Dealers giving good service to people who didn't buy from them would be even better.

Thanks, claymax.
Old 07-21-01, 01:25 PM
KenJack

Smile A 2nd post re: Keyes Lexus in L.A.

Sorry to hog space or seem repetitious, but I just remembered this incident, and I think it should be mentioned.

About eight months ago I got a one day advance notice that I had to drive from L.A. to Monterey and back (about 1,000 miles) with a two night stay over - in other words, I would basically be living in my car for 3 days. Not really a bad thing except we were in the middle of the worst storm to hit California in years - 5 inches of rain in the last two days and 30 degree temperatures (Arctic conditions by CA standards). I packed my car (my '92 SC400 I had before I got my new GS430) and got up the next morning and took off. About 20 miles up the road, I found myself to be shaking from the cold and my front window was totally fogged over, and realized that my heater was Dead.... Kaput, Nada. Picturing my teeth chattering for 3 days (we're wimps for the cold and rain in L.A.) I turned back and considered my options - don't go = bad........ wet and cold for 3 days, or maybe in a 20 car pileup somewhere = worse....

But (to those who are not literary fanatics like me, please be patient/kind or skip to next paragraph) I'm a huge John Steinbeck fan, and what I was going for was to document a very small but, to some people, important piece of literary history. I had a one time chance to spend a full day in the real life "Doc's Lab" on Cannery Row with the last surviving and quite elderly member (who now owns the Lab) of the Bohemian crowd that hung out back in the 1940's with John Steinbeck and Ed "Doc" Ricketts (Doc of the books Cannery Row, Grapes of Wrath, Sweet Thursday, etc. etc. etc). Now.... these days NOBODY gets a private visit into the Lab anymore, but in what would be an even longer and more boring story (if possible), I had unknowingly done this gentleman a favor in another area of life, and he had therefore given me this invitation in return. Besides the interview/chat/lunch at the Lab, I was going to shoot uncountable rolls of film for a couple of charity literature groups, and make tapes of some recordings of Steinbeck himself reading works that he never released for publishing. The owner/ friend had personally recorded Steinbeck reading the works at the Lab in the 40's and the only copy of the tapes were kept in his safe at home. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity for many reasons. This was the only day the owner had available for eons, the State of California is taking over the land, the future of the Lab is uncertain, and the history in this gentleman's mind irreplaceable. Risk of pileup on not, I had to make the drive.

Like a homing pigeon, I found my way to Keyes Lexus in Van Nuys, drove in without notice, and spoke to Allen Pliss, my Service Rep. He looked at my pathetic face, kindly (and patiently) listened to my sad situation, and called Tony Lopez (the Tech who's name I couldn't remember in my prior post who took over Ed Lujan's team when Ed became shop foreman). Before they even pulled it in the back they immediately pounced on my car, and in about 2 minutes Tony found that my heater/flapper/thing-a-ma-jiggy valve in the engine compartment had died a horrible death and had to be replaced. I went to the waiting room where they gave me hot coffee and a donut while the guys figured out if there was anything they could do that day.

To make a very long story short(er), 30 minutes later I was on the road with a fully functional heater - I had no time to call them, gave them no advance warning, had no appointment. Pretty amazing if you ask me. I could not have asked for better treatment or more perfect results. By the way, the storm did continue and there were about 200 miles where the only thing I could see was the car right in front of me because of the massive volume of water coming down. I never would have made it with a dead defroster/heater. Needless to say, they saved my trip.

By the way, I don't own stock in the company or anything, I just think credit should be given when it's due, and it was definitely due in this case.
Old 07-21-01, 05:27 PM
banking
Rookie

Exclamation Maintenance > Rate your Lexus Dealer Service Dept

I just want to clarify about my remarks toward the Lexus of Memphis Dealership. My intention was not to say that the dealership just plain sucked. I was basically venting on just an incident that I was part of. Needless to say I love my Lexus dealership but every now and then people have their moody days and good days. I'm just the type of person that remembers first impressions of people. But that doesn't mean that I hold a grudge against them.
I don't think what I had just said made a lot of sense. It sorta sounds like a bunch of nothing.

Take care fellow Lexus members,

van
Old 07-22-01, 12:52 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Smile My Turn

Dealership: Price LeBlanc Lexus / Baton Rouge, LA
Ratings: Sales: 3.5 stars
Service: 3 stars
Parts: 4 stars
I would recommend all 3 departments highly.
Service Rep : Hope
Sales department was knowledgable & low-pressure.
Service & Parts departments were considerate of my time ( I live 125 miles from them ) & timely on maintenance performed. Also Parts department shipped some things to me to keep me from driving to BR.
Compared to other prices mentioned on this board, I'd say PL's prices were lower than average ( but still not as low as Steve's at Carson Toyota ).

Comments: Waiting room was somewhat small & without many aminities. Had their detail men wash the GS once & it came back dirtier than I gave it to them ( plus scratched - they DON'T touch it now!! ).
Best part is that the advisors & techs LOVE the mods ( especially the stereo!! ). The head service advisor told me that as long as he was there, I didn't need to worry about warranty problems ( even if I start using nitrous!! ) as long as it doesn't get to be of a repetitive nature.
Old 07-22-01, 02:16 PM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Default 2 dealers

Lexus Of Riverside, Riverside, CA
Parts=3.5 out of 5 stars
Service=1 out of 5 stars-service writers belong at Ford

Crown lexus, Ontario, CA
Parts-1 out of 5-Often noone ever picks up phone in parts dept.,rude, and never at the counter,have to wait a longer than usual time to be helped
Service-2 out of 5 stars Polite but not understanding or communicative to customers
Old 07-22-01, 04:09 PM
SC300
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus of Norwood, MA

Name: Lexus of Norwood, Norwood, MA
Rating: 2.5 Stars
Recommend Service/Parts Dept: Really depends on the day.
Some days they seem as on the ball as possible - others,
well let's just say it leaves me lacking..

Service Writer/Contact: Rich or Al - Rich is one of the BEST Advisors you could want.
Takes good care of his clients. Example - I came in with a gouge in my passenger side
mirror - ugly - he swapped one out from a new car that just came in off the truck
and I walked out with a "no charge." Now that's service!

The technicians vary as it seems they do not pay them all that well - hence a high
turnover rate once they get _real_ good... I've had good techs that listen and
crappy technicians who don't want to hear anything you have to say - assuming that
you are just some idiot off the street is always bad.

The biggest problem with this dealership is the obvious lack of caring that comes
from the owners. As with most dealerships, the service crew is great but limited
as to how much they can/will help you by upper management decisions...

I saw my used SC300 in there listed as a one owner car - I brought it to the
managers attention and he assured me it would be fixed - next week, still
one owner; tried again, and a week later no change...
Amazingly, after I walked into the showroom with a camera and snapped
a picture of the windshield - they erased the one owner ad

Common Service Pricing: 10K for my IS300 $101.00
Pricing is average. If you take some time to get to know the Advisors
and the service manager (Brian), they will always go above & beyond to save
you a buck or two.

Old 07-22-01, 06:08 PM
pat5000
Driver School Candidate

Default Mean Gene

I'll have to second that on Price Leblanc,Although it seems to take them two trys to get things right. Amen on the detailing also. You should hear how loud they play "YOUR" stereo while they are cleaning the cars.
Old 07-23-01, 05:08 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question Where in Louisiana?

Pat - So where do YOU live in Louisiana? Not too many of us down here - a few in the Big Easy. That's the nice thing about the RF Symmetry piece - I can lock out all the settings ( including the volume control ) so no one can change them or abuse my system!! I've even locked my wife out just because I could - paid BIG TYME for that move!!:eek:
Old 07-23-01, 05:24 PM
pat5000
Driver School Candidate

Default Mean Gene

I live in B.R. and I wish I could keep them from jamming the radio. I walked up on them one time and as I got close I saw them discreetly turn it down. It pissed me off. If I want my stereo played that loud I'll do it MYSELF. Other than that, Price has been very good to me in service and sales.
Old 07-27-01, 04:27 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Default Magnussen Lexus Fremont CA

Thirty day service completed. Did not buy car there or buy parts so I will defer, but for the service:

5 stars out of 5 (at least so far)

Called yesterday to make an appointment. Talked to Ronald Blaylock. He wanted to know when I wanted to bring it in. I asked when was available. He said tomorrow (Friday), Saturday, or Sunday. As an ex BMW owner (not trying to start BMW wars, they are fine cars) it took my breath away. I could come in the next day or Saturday or Sunday? Their service is open 6AM to midnight M-F and 7AM to 5PM saturday and sunday. They asked me for what three hour block I wanted, I chose 10AM to 1PM and they said they would have the car ready in one hour, which they did - washed. Obviously, this was no kind of difficult service but for my first go at Lexus service, it was about as good as it gets. I wanted an oil change, even though not required and I paid for it - $49. Seems pricey but using a dealership for just an oil change is usually expensive regardless of marque. Might be nice to get the included maintenance like BMW and Merc were forced to match with Audi but they would do well to spend some effort on their service departments. I have very recent experience with local BMW service and it doesn't come up to Lexus.
Old 08-03-01, 09:12 PM
Static911

Lexus Dealership in Tustin

Service: ****

Service Rep: Mark Pinneo

The MAIN reason why my parents decided to stick with lexus instead of mercedez and BMW is the Customer Service. Mark Pinneo (I believe he has been there since 1992). He has taken care of all 5 lexus (the 1992 ls400 was carjacked from my father)

My mom ONLY talks to him and no one else. Service has been outstanding and loaner cars are always available.

Quality of Jobs: ****

Only glitch was in 07-01 when they accidently tripped my father's 1999 LS400 switch...well, apparently, it drained the car's battery and they set a tow man to charge car. The problem was taking care of very professionally.

Price: hm...***
$300 to buy and install a new speedometer needle...I think they could've cut us some slack on cost...but...o well

Static911

Old 08-10-01, 04:58 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I'n Dallad I have not used the Lexus dealers there yet..

However in MS I used the only they have.

Herrin Gear Lexus... overall **

Service ** Not very professional at all... Slow to respond to anything... ... work was adequate but service needs help. I hear they never have Lexus loaners available.

2 of their top mechanic quit and started there own shop... By the way when I'm back in Jackson I go to their shop!

Parts * When you need a part you have to go to a phone and call to the back to speak with a person on the phone. Then they will bring up a part and most of the time they will get the part wrong.

There should be a HUMAN there not a damn phone. Plus the phone is in the Chevy side with Chevy parts PEOPLE real peolpe!

Prices are higher for some parts than I got from others dealers online and in Memphis. Hell, they do not have the Lexus L in stock!!! Can you imagine that, the EMBLEM!!! They say it's a special order item... The L!!!

Sales **** Sales people are top notch well Dennis Lenoir is. This guy is # 1 in my book.

If I was living in Jackson again I would not take my Lexus there for service unless I had absolutely no choice!!!

Thomas
Old 08-14-01, 08:56 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Lexus of Austin
rate: 3.5 star

no complain, replace my plastic engine cover under the car for free (cost 100$ for that piece)

contract: Alex
no appointment, i just called, and drive the car in
1hrs later, i am out w a free car wash ha ha

would come back again

sale dept there sux

part price is OK, not to high

Anh
Old 08-18-01, 10:03 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

South Bay Lexus, Torrance, CA
3 Stars
Would you recommend this service/parts dept? Not particularly

Comments:
Representatives did not provide a quote for a complete solution to my problem but only mentioned a partial quote for it to sound like a deal so I would use them. Once I got my car back it was not finished and they informed me that they would have to do more work to accomplish the task. The additional work as they called it was something they coud have quoted before work since it naturally had to be done. I felt they misrepresented the service since I told them exactly what I wanted done and we agreed on a price and then they wanted more later.
To top it off when I got my car back they did not hook up all the electronics again and most functions on my drivers side door was inoperable. I discovered this when I could not adjust my power mirrors. I told them to fix it and they attached the mirror leads only. Later on I found out that they fixed the mirror but everything else was still not attached. To sum it up I feel cheated.

I still love the cars that Lexus makes I am just looking for the best service department in the Los Angeles area. If anyone knows the best service shops around whether they are Lexus Service Centers or not please inform me because I do need some work. Make sure you e-mail me so as not to clutter this forum thread.

positive or negative? mixed

Pricing for common service:
Average

Quick Reply: rate your dealer