Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Bad experience: Ebay and Lexus of Orland

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-03, 12:01 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Bad experience: Ebay and Lexus of Orland

Bought a GS300/400 manual from Lexus of Orland through Ebay last year (end of December). I paid using Paypal on Jan 1, 03, Besides $10 for the manual I had to pay for postage to Hong Kong. I had to ask them several times how much I needed to pay and got as the following replies.
1st reply was "around $15"
Then I asked in total? (manual and postage)
2nd reply was "$ 25 total"
They did not even bother to write one full sentence in the email. No dear Alex, no name of sender, no company name, no telephone no, no nothing.

I thought my English was poor, as not being a native English speaker, but this was unacceptable.

After that send them more than 5 emails during 3 weeks to ask them if they have already send it to me. Never got a reply back. I sure do not hope that all their aftersales service is like that.

Finally, I did a search on Lexus of Orland on the Internet, since this name was mentioned as the beneficiary of my money, and got their telephone no.
So I called them today (i.e. tonight for me, because of the time difference), told him that I called from Hong Kong and bought something via Ebay and asked for the responsible person.
Then, I had to wait for a couple of minutes.
Then, this guy did not introduce himself, perhaps afraid to expose his name, did not ask what was the problem, directly said he send it out last Monday via UPS Priority Post and wanted directly to hang up. No apologies, no polite words, nothing

Well, I hope that this guy really send it out last Monday. Then, I will finally have my manual by next week.

I cannot believe it. I paid $15 dollars for postage expecting that it would arrive within a week. They could as well use the boat, which is probably closer to $5
Is this the famous Lexus aftersales service?

Therefore, be careful when buying from Ebay and from Lexus of Orland.
Old 01-24-03, 12:07 PM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus of Orland

Strange, but you are only buying a manual. This place is not far from where I live but the call to Chicago was probably close to what you paid for the manual. Well anyways your english is very good maybe its just some fool who shouldn't be selling **** from the dealership on ebay.
Old 01-24-03, 09:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

first of all, man, you got excellent english already. i am from hong kong too and i can tell you your english is top notch, i have read english from a lot of other hkese and they are just disappointing. second i can tell you lexus in general have very very good service, at least all those i have ever heard and seen. the one you dealing with that's just sick... if i were you i would have probably asked the guy what's his name so later one i can complain about it if i want to. but hopefully you will get your manaul next week, you definitely don't wanna call again...
Old 01-25-03, 12:05 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember you bought the manual from Ebay and not a Lexus dealer. Most of us who bought anything from Ebay never got to speak nor heard from the seller via phone no matter how hard we tried. Consider yourself lucky! As for those replied emails, they were typical quick and to the point replies, and, yes I knew they were hard to swallow. All that matter now is you get what you paid for.
Now if you were to buy the manual directly from that Lexus dealer, then your complaints would be entirely valid.
Old 01-25-03, 12:09 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Believe it or not, there are currrently 12 million items for sale on eBay right now, and the vast majority of customers are happy with their purchases.

If an eBay seller gives you bad service, be sure to warn others on eBay by posting accurate feedback. And if they were so rude to you, they might have been rude to others- what did their feedback record look like? Did you mean "Orlando", or did they really call themselves "Orland"?

Now you've got me curious- let me know the auction number- I'd like to look them up on eBay.
Old 01-25-03, 01:23 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Bad experience: Ebay and Lexus of Orland

Originally posted by HKGS300
Bought a GS300/400 manual from Lexus of Orland through Ebay last year (end of December).
Finally, I did a search on Lexus of Orland on the Internet, since this name was mentioned as the beneficiary of my money, and got their telephone no.
So I called them today (i.e. tonight for me, because of the time difference), told him that I called from Hong Kong and bought something via Ebay and asked for the responsible person.
Then, I had to wait for a couple of minutes.
Then, this guy did not introduce himself, perhaps afraid to expose his name, did not ask what was the problem, directly said he send it out last Monday via UPS Priority Post and wanted directly to hang up. No apologies, no polite words, nothing

Therefore, be careful when buying from Ebay and from Lexus of Orland.

I find it strange that a dealership, Lexus or Orland (I assume Lexus of Orland Park.....outside of Chicago) would be posting items on Ebay. Unless it was an employee of Lexus of Orland making private sales and listing Lexus of Orland as the source.
whatever.
The treatment you recieved is unacceptable....from any Lexus dealer or representative. I must say this is not the first time I have heard of a complaint of this dealership in these forums.

If you don't get the manual, call the general manager of Lexus or Orland and report the problem to him.....call collect.

I was able to get a backcopy of a manual from www.lexus.com.
It was on $15.00 US. you could try there.

Most of all, if your manual does not arrive. Contact Paypal and or your credit card company and cancel/deny payment immediately.

Good Luck

steviej
Old 01-25-03, 02:31 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

next time, just have one of us bought one for you and send it to HK...
Old 01-25-03, 03:58 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

No, I really bought from Lexus of Orland. They even used the same email address to reply as the one mentioned on their website. lexhq@msn.com

I got their phone no after I did a search and found the following web page.
http://www.lexusoforland.com/index.h...ce_appointment

I am not sure if this guy or if somebody at this center is running a personal ebay shop, but I am 100% sure that I bought the manual from them.

Hope that they do not let me down this time.
Perhaps I should email the Lexus HQ in the USA about their practices???
Old 01-25-03, 04:08 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Perhaps you can give us an ebay auction number or their eBay user ID , so we can see for ourselves what's going on.
Old 01-25-03, 04:21 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

I got the below email from Ebay
<<Text is added by me>>

Dear alexy_hk,

The seller, lex61201, has entered a total price of $22.00 for the item below. <<They charged me $25.00>>

The seller accepts PayPal for this item so you can pay securely with any major credit card.

Payment Details:
---------------------
Item name: Lexus GS-300-400 Owner's Manual
Item number: 1875054894

Date entered: Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 06:54:02 PST

Item Price: $9.00
Shipping & Handling: $13.00
Additional Shipping: $0.00
-------------
Total: $22.00
<<Made a mistake in my previous email, the manual was only $9 instead of $10, so in fact I paid $16 for postage and still did not receive the goods>>

Payment Instructions: Looking for great deals on OEM Lexus parts give us a call @ 708-614-8798
fax @ 708-342-6485
or @ 800-75-LEXUS

Seller's Payment Address:
Lexus of Orland
8485 West 159TH Street
Tinley Park, IL 60477, US
(708) 614 - 8700

If you have any questions, you can contact the seller at parts@lexus-of-orland-61201.dlrmail.com.

Remember: eBay will not ask you for sensitive personal information
(such as your password, credit card and bank account numbers,
Social Security numbers, etc.) in an email.

<<When I reread this email I can hardly imagine that this Ebay thing was on personal account>>
Old 01-25-03, 03:07 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Thanks for the info. It's hard to tell if eBay seller "lex61201" is an individual or the dealer itself, looking to get rid of excess inventory. Given the name used, the terse description and the minimal number of items sold so far, it looks more like the former than the latter.

The good news is the 9 feedbacks have all been positive.

Also, there is no such thing as "UPS Priority Post"- there is USPS (the US Postal Service, what we call the "Post Office"), and there is UPS (United Parcel Service- the Brown guys).

USPS Mail costs $5-$15 for 7-30 days delivery, and UPS shipping costs $85! So I am certain he used USPS. Unfortunately, shipping to Asia is always a hassle for US eBay sellers. Unless you want to spend $85 or more UPS/FedEx/DHL package tracking, there is no way to track the shipment when it leaves the USPS.

I once sold a $500 camera to an eBay bidder in Taiwan- he said go ahead and ship it via regular USPS mail. I said " how we gonna verify you got it?". He said don't worry about it, he always does it this way with no problems. So I went ahead and did it, and a month later.....

....he got it! He was happy and thought this was businesss as usual, but I sure was nervous for a few days there!

So I would sit tight for a few more days and see what happens. You always have the option of leaving negative feedback if he stiffs you, and he should know that. And if you paid with a credit card or PayPal, your purchase is protected.
Old 01-25-03, 10:40 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

I the meantime I also bought a hardcover 250-page book from ebay, and I got that book within 1 week! It was in a special purpose envelope (I believe its charge was based on the volume of the book rather than the weight) and the stamp said $9!
Also, I believe that the postage for sending books via air or surface is very similar.

I do not have problems with waiting a couple of weeks, but I do not like the way how the handle things. Also, something I do not like is that the guy from Lexus of Orland said that the just shipped it the other day. This sounds like he did not mail it out yet and is now making arrangements to mail it out.

I will give them another week and if I still did not receive it I going to complain again.
Old 01-26-03, 04:05 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by PERRYinLA

I once sold a $500 camera to an eBay bidder in Taiwan- he said go ahead and ship it via regular USPS mail. I said " how we gonna verify you got it?". He said don't worry about it, he always does it this way with no problems. So I went ahead and did it, and a month later.....

....he got it! He was happy and thought this was businesss as usual, but I sure was nervous for a few days there!

Everybody listen here. NEVER, NEVER send anything from ebay without it having a tracking number! I did this on a stock amp for our car to a person in SF, CA, and then they tried to say they never got it. Then they went ahead and filed a complaint on paypal for non-receipt and if it wasn't for some hard work by me, they would have gotten the amp and their money back. Paypal isn't real good at protecting people or letting you know what you need to do to protect yourself, but if you don't have a tracking number, you have no protections.
Be careful out there. I require insurance on all transactions and always send with a tracking number.

Tim