Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Sunroof rattling noise:

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-03, 01:44 AM
shadow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof rattling noise:

Does anyone have any good ideas of getting rid of this bothersome noise? I been thinking about taking it to my dealer and have them re-install the sunroof. Will this terminate the noise?
Old 01-30-03, 02:32 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Maybe

Yours may not be the same scenario, but here's what I encountered;

When I purchased my GS4 in October, I had a rattling/rustling noise that I traced to the moonroof rubber seal and moonroof cutout. The rubber was osensibly binding with the roof flex and bumps, and causing it.

After trying different products without success, I permanently solved it with a waterproof silicone grease with teflon. I actually had it around the house for my pool, it's for the pool filter's rubber O rings, to keep them pliable.

Since it's waterproof it stays put, unlike other rubber dressings. It's called MAGIC LUBE ( insert joke here) and it's made by ALLADIN. Cost about $7 for a small tube the size of a hand squeeze tub caulk tube. I got it at my local pool supplier. It is clear BTW, though hazy looking, like regular silicones for windows etc. It just dosen't cure or dry out like they do.

Your problem may be different, but this stuff shut mine up but good. Cheers. Dan H
Old 01-30-03, 09:07 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my sunroof rattles and makes a cracking sound whenever the cover is open and the glass itself is closed, during highway speeds. i have all sorts of felt, velcro and little added sealing material that must've been added on later by the dealer during routine maintenance (i have never complained about it to any dealer) w/o me knowing. anyway, it still rattles.......i have a 95 ES300 btw
Old 01-30-03, 08:10 PM
shadow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sunroof

It like a rattling noise when the sun shade is closed going over small imperfections in the road. And the sides of the actual sunroof makes a creeking noise when going over bigger road imperfections.
Old 01-31-03, 10:46 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I fixed my moonroof rattle by gluing small rubber pads to keep the front wind deflector from rattling again itself. That's the piece that pops up when you open the sunroof.

I found where to pad it by placing a rag in various areas and then driving around. When the rattling stopped, I found the area.
Old 02-03-03, 02:03 PM
kuruption213
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the oppositte problem my car makes tapping noises from the sunroof but when the shade is closed. if it is open some noise is heard but not very often and consistent like when the shade is closed. the dealer checked it out but said it was going to cost $120 to reseal the sunroof and it wouldn't be covered under the extended warranty. why did i get that again?
Old 02-03-03, 04:07 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I must say...

Because this topic appears to be endemic among GS's, I wonder who the vendor (supplier of the moonroofs to Lexus) was that made these units. I have had Fords and Lincolns that had power moonroofs, and exhibited NONE of these noises or problems. It's a shame because it's a slight mark on an otherwise near perfect car IMO. And I'm assuming it wasn't even Lexus' fault, but the supplier's.

Although I have solved my initial noise problem, I still get sporadic weird sounds that speak to the units structural integrity. I wonder if the GS line is the only Lexus car that has this particular supplier's moonroof, because I have heard good things about the 'roof in the LS cars. Just thinking out loud here. Dan H

Last edited by Guitarman; 02-03-03 at 04:08 PM.