Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

check engine light, 92 ES, O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-03, 04:58 PM
themasta3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light, 92 ES, O2 sensor

alright, my check engine light came on a couple days ago. needless to say i was fairly worried that i was going to have to replace something big since my Lex has got 171k on it. anyway, i took it to the dealer and they plugged it into their handheld instrument. they concluded that it was just an O2 sensor that went bad. however, they told me that the ES has 2 O2 sensors. is this true? just a couple months ago i replaced the front O2 sensor with an aftermarket one for $50 thinking that it would help me with my gas mileage, but it didnt. i threw the orig one away cuz i figured it was gonna go bad sooner or later. when i told the lexus guy that i had replaced on of them a few months earlier he seemed to think that it was the aftermarket sensor that was making the light come on. he recommended that i pay $150 for a Lexus O2 sensor and have them put it on.

i would really like to fix this problem myself. can anybody tell me where the 2nd O2 sensor is located. also, if i end up replacing the faulty O2 sensor, will the check engine light go off automatically? the lexus guy said there's some switch i gotta hit before it will go off. anybody know the location of this switch along with the 2nd O2 sensor? thanks a lot!

Peace
Old 02-04-03, 09:27 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got an '02 ES and I think mine has three, one in each header and one after the cat. It would not be out of the question that the 92 has two. Your second one is most likely under the car near the catalytic converter.

Usually if one goes, the other one is about to go. Replace the second one with an aftermarket one also. Bosch are very good.
The light should go out when the faulty sensor is replaced. Once the ECU recieves the proper signal front the sensor, it should adjust itself. Similar to the oil light going out when you add oil, or the brake light light going out when the bad bulb is replaced.

If the light goes out, you are golden. If it doesn't, return it for a refund and start again. Lexus should have been able to tell which 02 sensor was tripping the check engine light when they scanned.

How much did Lexus want for just the sensors (not installed)?

In an unrelated thread, sorry to see you bit the dirt. I can relate to the perils of snow.

steviej