Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Flushing Brake Fluid...Not Recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-03, 09:21 PM
500amg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flushing Brake Fluid...Not Recommended?

I had my '95 LS400 serviced because the brake fluid needed changing (pretty dark and nasty). I asked my local dealer to flush the fluid, but they said that they don't ever flush brake fluid. They said the risk of dirt and air entering the system is too great, so they never flush brake fluid on any car. I believe all they did was sucked the fluid out of the master cylinder and replace that...which is better than nothing.

The weird thing is that most other manufactuers recommend full brake fluid replacement every 2 years or so (my MB manual requires the fluid to be replaced every 2 years). Do you guys have any explaination as to why my dealer wouldn't flush? Is this normal for every Lexus dealership? Is the risk of dirt/air entry THAT great as to never recommend brake fluid flush?

Thanks for any input!
Old 02-04-03, 09:28 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

i don't know why the dealer won't do it, but if you do it right, air will NOT get into your brake system. flush instruction posted on my site, under GS tech section
Old 02-04-03, 10:31 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Flush the brake fluid. It's hydroscopic and can absorb moisture over time.

DD
Old 02-04-03, 11:15 PM
500amg
Driver

I wanted the fluid flushed, but I found it odd that the dealership (!) said they never flush it. Mind you it would have been a cash expense for me...and I'm sure they would charge a lot more than they did for just replacing the fluid in the reservior. They obviously didn't want more of my money...which leads me to believe they have a legitimate reason. Everything I've read says otherwise, though.

So no other Lexus dealerships say this?
Old 02-05-03, 11:11 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Flushing Brake Fluid...Not Recommended?

Originally posted by 500amg
They said the risk of dirt and air entering the system is too great, so they never flush brake fluid on any car.
The risk of air entering the system if practically nil if you know what you're doing. The chance of dirting entering your braking system during flushing shouldn't be any greater than dirting entering your engine during an oil change. Does the risk of dirt entering prevent you from changing the engine oil? All that is required is common sense in cleanliness. Some people swear by not flushing fluids so let it be.... I hope that they keep their cars long enough and face the consequences.
Old 02-05-03, 11:56 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

500AMG - Treat yourself as lucky that the dealer recommended against it. Obviously they don't feel comfortable flushing the brake lines. Find someone who is comfortable. With the exception of some new, and expensive, brake fluids, all the brake fluids will pick up water, much to the entire systems detriment. Don't waste your time with those guys, you will find some more competent people who will know exactly what you want and why and will likely support your decision wholeheartedly - if the fluid is discolored, it is past time to go.

Before you post that why would the dealer not be agreeable to flushing the system and seeing the value in it just remember there are all sorts of people out there with different competency levels. My wife bought a new GS3 on New Years Eve and we went back to the dealership to pick some things up. In a discussion with the salesman on tires, he was convinced that the GS4 comes stock with 17 inch wheels. I told him to go look at my GS4 outside. Just don't expect everyone at a dealership to be competent. If they don't feel confident in their ability to flush your brake system and do it right, then they shouldn't do it. Life is too short ot figure out why, just go find someone more competent.
Old 02-05-03, 02:56 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to concur with RON430.
Recently I had a service manager tell me that Lexus never uses clear coat on their paints. Wrong!!
When in doubt...get a second opinion.

sj.
Old 02-05-03, 03:55 PM
500amg
Driver

If they don't feel confident in their ability to flush your brake system and do it right, then they shouldn't do it. Life is too short ot figure out why, just go find someone more competent
The only reason I posted in the first place was because they told me that the actual FLUSHING action is bad. This was of course contrary to what I and many others know. I just wanted to see whether or not other Lexus dealers say this. If they had told me "we don't have the proper equipment or ability" then I would have said "That's fine, thank you." Telling me brake fluid SHOULD be changed but never FLUSHED got me a little confused. I guess I should have explained what they said. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 02-05-03, 03:57 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like DD said, get your brake fluid flush. That's kinda strange that the dealer don't want to do it or can't do it.
Old 02-05-03, 05:48 PM
stock300
Driver

Everything I've read strongly recommends changing the brake fluid around 30,000 miles especially if you have ABS which is the case with our Lexus'. I've just replaced mine in both my LS400 and SC300 with synthetic brake fluid.
Old 02-05-03, 05:51 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

500AMG - Just so used to people not wanting to admit their limitations, I look to the dark side. But enough of that. If the fluid has discolored, it is time to get it out. Just be prepared that it may have gotten contaminated through a leak in a caliper that drew nice moist air in. Still, I would start with the fluid and go from there. My wife's late dear departed Maxima went through rear brake cylinders on an annual basis and I have no idea why. Inevitably wound up with new fluid after the repair.
Old 02-06-03, 06:52 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a bunch of BS from your dealer.

My dealer UP (I live in Mexico City) in San Antonio demands I change the brake fluid every time I bring in the car (I do not, but at least they care, maybe just $).

You really only risk the contamination if you are using regular DOT 3 Toyota or other fluid. When I came to Mexico, I switched to DOT 4 Bendix with good results. Yet, the fluid still became discolored, probably from the times I kept putting on the aftermarket front brakes.

My solution? Exactly what stock300 mentioned, synthetic brake fluid.

I have used Valvoline for a few months now (also Power Steering Fluid), and have had great results and the color still stays true. Moreover, my brakes have not worn down at the same rate as before. You can get it at almost any auto store.
Old 02-06-03, 10:38 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Default Absolutely flush it.

As mentioned, brake fluid is hydrocopic, will absorb moisture. Water is heavier than brake fluid, eventually ends up concentrated in the caliper pistons, where it will boil easily under hard braking and cause fading - and will also cause rust and seized calipers. If done right, the system will not be contaminated - it is important to open the bleed points and push all the old fluid out of the calipers. If you drive the car hard, flush & replace fluid every 15K miles every 30K otherwise.
Old 02-06-03, 11:01 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Default Re: Absolutely flush it.

Originally posted by strongsail
As mentioned, brake fluid is hydrocopic, will absorb moisture. Water is heavier than brake fluid, eventually ends up concentrated in the caliper pistons, where it will boil easily under hard braking and cause fading - and will also cause rust and seized calipers. If done right, the system will not be contaminated - it is important to open the bleed points and push all the old fluid out of the calipers. If you drive the car hard, flush & replace fluid every 15K miles every 30K otherwise.
Ya, what he said so well

DD
Old 02-07-03, 04:41 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

One of the other things I could recommend is having the calipers painted. Someone on the RX board not to long ago had some pretty pictures of his handiwork. I used a DuPont black, and it has held.

Quick Reply: Flushing Brake Fluid...Not Recommended?