Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

90K Lexus Service Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-03, 07:13 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 90K Lexus Service Cost?

Anyone get any price quotes from Lex on this one?
Old 02-07-03, 07:23 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want it done through Lexus your looking at $1,000 or so with a new timing belt. . If I were you since your car is out of warranty I would have it done at an independent shop for half the price. The main thing is the timing belt & pullies if it wasn't done at 60K.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 02-07-03 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-07-03, 07:43 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SharpLS-96
If you want it done through Lexus your looking at $1,000 or so with a new timing belt. . If I were you since your car is out of warranty I would have it done at an independent shop for half the price. The main thing is the timing belt & pullies if it wasn't done at 60K.
How 'bout the water pump? Would you recommend replacing that? Timing belt wasn't done at 60k, since Lexus doesn't recomend it until 90k. NOt sure about the pullies??? How would I check?
Old 02-07-03, 08:18 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Opps, yes the water pump for sure. Pullies always get changed when they do the timing belt so that is a must also.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 02-07-03 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-08-03, 10:48 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Hey SharpLS,

Would you also recommend just going to an independent body shop to have the belt changed? To save money? Since my car is out of warranty now anyway? Also, when you say pullies, do you mean all the typical belts? Or are pullies more associated with the internal parts of the engine? Sorry, for the elementary q's.
Old 02-08-03, 01:10 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he means the pulleys behind the timing belt covers. Usually they're 2 of them, one idle pullley and another one for the timing belt tensioner. Any good independent shop will do just fine, but make sure they use all the good parts(not the cheap one).
Old 02-08-03, 07:33 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ES3
Hey SharpLS,

Would you also recommend just going to an independent body shop to have the belt changed? To save money? Since my car is out of warranty now anyway? Also, when you say pullies, do you mean all the typical belts? Or are pullies more associated with the internal parts of the engine? Sorry, for the elementary q's.

Hmmmmm, not a body shop lol but a mechanical shop. To answer your question though yes. VVT hit it on the head as far as pulleys go. Also, since it will be all apart have new upper and lower radiator hoses and a new thermostat put in while they are at it unless thats been done recently. If it's a good mechanic he will advice you of this.

Here are the main things that I can think of off the top of my head.

New timing Belt
Water Pump replacement
Idle pullley replacement
Timing belt tensioner replacement
Upper & lower radiator hose with new clamps.
Thermostat w/ new gasket
New anitfreeze.
New serpentine belt.
Old 02-08-03, 10:36 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

But everyone knows that body shops do mechanical stuff too Oops, little slip there. Thanks for the recommendations. I could probably save some money by going with an independant mechanic. But I actually need transportation, and since Lexus gives loaners, I may still go with a Lexus dealership. Anyone know how long timing belt replacement takes?
Old 02-08-03, 11:00 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ES3
But everyone knows that body shops do mechanical stuff too Oops, little slip there. Thanks for the recommendations. I could probably save some money by going with an independant mechanic. But I actually need transportation, and since Lexus gives loaners, I may still go with a Lexus dealership. Anyone know how long timing belt replacement takes?

Figure a full day. I wouldn't trust a body shop to do internal engine repairs because most are not ASE certified. I know you slipped, just busting your chops.

:eek: http://www.asecert.org/channels/about.cfm

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 02-08-03 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-09-03, 10:36 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Sound advice, If I go independant, I'll look for an ASE Certified mechanic. Still it may be worth going that way if I can save a few hundred bucks. But honestly I still would feel better about Lexus taking care of it all, since their probably more accountable if anything goes wrong.
Old 02-10-03, 10:46 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

I would change the cam & crank seals as well. If you don't change them and they leak, you would be back to square one (well...almost) again. :eek:
Old 02-10-03, 02:40 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by hyperopt
I would change the cam & crank seals as well. If you don't change them and they leak, you would be back to square one (well...almost) again. :eek:
I'd expect Lexus to change that routinely when they replace the timing belt. Is that non commonly changed??
Old 02-27-03, 01:47 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Well, my car is getting a new timing belt in the shop now and I asked about the

Idle pullley replacement
Timing belt tensioner replacement

He said they were dry as a bone so should I still have him relplace them. he told me it would be a waste of money.

Do this part get used or do they either work or not work.
Old 03-07-03, 12:09 PM
CIPHER
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default that's funny

I just called both the Silver Spring lexus dealer and the Annapolis lexus dealer about price and exactly what is covered under the 90k service because I have 87k on my 99 GS300. Now, When I bought the car, it had 58k on it and I wouldn't take the car unless they changed the timimg belt because I was told that the timing belt was to be changed at 60k. Anyway, they did replace the timing belt at 58k. when I told the dealership this and asked what else do they replace he said the only thing they replace besides the timing belt is the A/C filter, the air intake filter, wiperblades, transmission flush and change fluids and oil, rotate tires. I asked them if they change the water pump and he said no, not until 120k. I also asked about pulleys and tensioner replacement and spark plugs and he said no about that also. He said the price would be $595 because I already had the timing belt replaced. Now my question is....why does it cost $595 to change oil, rotate tires, change filters and wiperblades and a tranny flush. Last month I replaced the A/C filter and intake filter myself so I really don't think I need to spend that amount of money for a tranny flush and a tire rotation
Old 03-07-03, 01:55 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Cipher,
That's a good question. My dealer want to charge $795 to change the fluids around for my 60k mile service.
Mine's also a certified vehcile that was taken care at that dealership of at around 40k ( I'm at 59k now). I wonder just what needs to be done because alot of that stuff was already done when they certified it.