Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

My lexus wont start when key is turned.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-03, 05:28 PM
92lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My lexus wont start when key is turned.

Hi everyone, I went to start my 92 ls400 and nothing happened. I recently had the starter replaced and all seemed fine. The car has over 130,000 miles on it but seems to run fine. When I turn the key to start it my gauges come on as normal and i hear a click in the engine, but the car wont fire. Im thinking maybe ignition switch but wanted to check with you guys first. Thanks for your help on this, 92 lexus.
Old 02-09-03, 06:08 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default battery

I hope I'm not stating the obvious but first check the battery. Does it start with jump? I had the same problem and it was a dead battery which needed replaced. Don't panic yet - just might be the battery.
Old 02-09-03, 07:34 PM
92lexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Battery??

I am sure its not the battery because when i turn the key on I do have power to everything. even the climate control system. It has happened a few times already, I turn the key to start it and lights come on but the engine does not crank to start. but, oddly enough, I will turn the key off and try and start it again and,well, it starts right up. But ,today it didnt start and i kept trying to start it, so i left the car alone for a couple of hours and went to start it, and it started . This leads me to question the ignition switch at this point. I wish i knew for sure before I go and buy one. Thanks for the replies, 92lexus.
Old 02-09-03, 08:53 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could still be a bad battery, which is what I think you'd want in a situation like this (given the ease in replacing the battery vs. the other potential causes). When my battery went bad after half a dozen years, I could still get power to the internal components, but couldn't start the car. Starting the car probably requires a much larger draw from the battery.
Old 02-10-03, 05:33 AM
92lexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the info

The battery is now 2 months old but now that i remember the negative connnection was kinda coming loose from wear and tear. I will go check that out next time my car wont start, hopefully thats all thats wrong with it. Thanks guys,92lexus.

oh yea, I just replaced the starter on my car by myself and without a manual. wow, what a job, to get to the starter you must completely tear down the throttle body and then the intake manifold, not easy, but was definitely an adventure. All went well until I broke a bolt in the intake manifold, but ysing my mcgyver techniques, I managed to construct a new bolt onto the assembly. I was able to give a good cleaning to the tbody and seems like it runs a lil smoother now at high speeds.
Old 02-10-03, 06:39 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

I have sc but I think I have the same problem, sometime I hear a click in the engine, but the car wont fire (happpens once/2-3 month, wet weather). and I thought it's the connection btwn my key and ignition switch because if I let it stay on "start" for like 10-20 sec sometimes it works.

But now, I'm thinking it's my starter that is dieing.
Old 02-10-03, 07:12 AM
92lexus
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb battery

Taka, I am going to check the battery post today cause i think my connection might be a little loose which may be causing the problem. It does sound like we have similiar issues with our cars, I am good with engines so i do most of my own work, as for your starter im not that familiar yet with the sc model, but i do know that changing the starter on my ls was a very intricate process, we managed to break a few things but i rigged them to work again, thankfully so. Hopefully im looking at some minor issues with the ignition and can fix them quickly. Good luck with your sc, 92 lexus out.
Old 02-10-03, 08:27 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Speaking as a long-ago gaspump jockey, it's ALWAYS worthwhile to pull the battery cables and thoroughly clean the clamps and terminals. The number of wierd things that happen with just a little bit of corrosion and a less-than-perfect connection is absolutely amazing. It's simple, easy, and often overlooked!!

Don't just tighten 'em down; take 'em off and get after both clamps and both posts with a wire brush!!!

Last edited by mooretorque; 02-10-03 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-11-03, 09:16 AM
muldrick
Rookie

Default Re: My lexus wont start when key is turned.

Originally posted by 92lexus
Hi everyone, I went to start my 92 ls400 and nothing happened. I recently had the starter replaced and all seemed fine. The car has over 130,000 miles on it but seems to run fine. When I turn the key to start it my gauges come on as normal and i hear a click in the engine, but the car wont fire. Im thinking maybe ignition switch but wanted to check with you guys first. Thanks for your help on this, 92 lexus.
Sounds to me like a starter problem...how long ago was it replaced and why?
Take it back and have them check as the starter be still be under warrenty
Old 02-11-03, 09:22 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my ES had so much battery corossion the last few months i had it. the car was gradually becoming "dumb" when i go start it; on a few rare ocassions it took a few cranks to start it but all was fine. if you're gonna clean battery corrosion, dilute a box of baking soda into a bucket of water, and brush away w/ a hard wire brush. wear gloves and if you're a nice person, you will buy a pan to catch all the used water and pour it back into a plastic container to take it to a hazardous waste collection center. if you're a bad person, you will just let it drain into the ocean.
Old 02-11-03, 02:19 PM
kreativ
Advanced

And when reattaching the connectors, use a battery terminal protector. I use both the oil-lined washers (99 cents) and the spray.
Old 02-11-03, 02:59 PM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Neutral Safety Switch?

update: the "click" would indicate to me that this is not the problem. 02/13/03

Hate to be the bearer of bad news so i hope that there is a problem other than my diagnosis.

Could it be that your neutral safety switch is no longer functioning properly? These are very expensive unfortunatley.

Good news less than I thought for a 92 model!!!

AC Delco part #E2214A for a 92 LS $144.55
Standard Motor Products #ns70 $137.51

good luck, damon

Last edited by damon; 02-13-03 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-13-03, 07:14 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe too late to chime in but if youre battery connection is loose thats definitely it. I had loose connection and i had power to everything but didn't turn the engine over. I didn't even hear the starter trying to engage. I tightened it and now no problem.