Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Power steering fluid recommendation…

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-03, 05:39 AM
SRQ400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Power steering fluid recommendation…

Power steering fluid recommendation…

I’m in the middle of a modification project on my 99 SC that has 54,000 miles on it. I’ll post the mod later. In the course of this project I had to remove the power steering reservoir. The fluid was really dirty and the screen in the reservoir appeared to be about 40% blocked. After removing the reservoir I cleaned it out with spray carb cleaner - all of it! The hose connections pipes and all until it was totally clean. Dried it out with shop rags and added some Dex III fluid, shook it up and drained it again. I have a vacuum pump (one-man brake bleeding type) and sucked as much fluid out of the rest of the system as I could. Reinstalled it filled it then drained it again.
After reading all the posts about power steering problems I thought that I should post this one as a DYI.
I highly recommend that if you are comfortable with tools that you do this. Don’t have any recommendation on how often but it might just prolong the life of this system.
This might be a good sticky!
Old 02-17-03, 09:04 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I disagree with is readding Dex III fluid. I switched to a Valvoline synthetic PSF in my 99 RX, and it has made all the difference. Never gets dirty.
Old 02-19-03, 09:46 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Lexmexico
I switched to a Valvoline synthetic PSF in my 99 RX, and it has made all the difference. Never gets dirty.
How? Does the fluid repel dirt? Bounces off?
Old 02-19-03, 02:18 PM
SRQ400
Pole Position

I used Valvoline Max Life Dexron III Mercon ATF, just my choice. The manual specifics Dexron II or III. From what I have read PSF is not advisable for use in our cars and many other import models. But do what you will! After all it’s your car and you’re the one who pays…
Just trying to help all of us!

Last edited by SRQ400; 02-19-03 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-20-03, 06:11 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

The synthetic is not advisable for HONDAs. I read very carefully on this, and I know what you are talking about with regard to those fluids. HONDAs have their own specific fluid, as do some other car makers However, I talked to several private Lexus mechanics who have done the same, and no harm after 50K miles in some cases.

Unlike brake fluid that can get dirty, even with synthetics, the color never changes with the synthetic. With the regular Dex II or III, it changes color over time, and you will definitely feel it when you turn at high speeds. I have had a much, much easier time controlling the car at speeds above 80 mph out here in Mexico.

Do what you will with regular Dexron, but I would rather not shell out more cash to the dealer to fix a PS problem down the road with either the fluid or the PS system. They developed synthetics for a reason.

True, the one thing you do have to watch out for it leaks when changing to synthetics. However, I have not seen anything in over 10K, and neither have the Lexus mechanics I talked to.
Old 02-26-03, 05:53 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

One thing I was wondering about is that the manual on a 93 LS says to use transmission fluid as powering steering fluid??? What gives. I just put regular power steering fluid in my resivor when it is low. Is that a NO NO? The guy at the local parts store said any power steering fluid is fine, I didn't need to use transmission fluid??
Old 02-27-03, 07:42 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

One thing I was wondering about is that the manual on a 93 LS says to use transmission fluid as powering steering fluid??? What gives. I just put regular power steering fluid in my resivor when it is low. Is that a NO NO? The guy at the local parts store said any power steering fluid is fine, I didn't need to use transmission fluid??

This is something commonly mentioned among many cars, and is widespread throughout the industry. I have a friend down here in Mexico City who brings in imported Mobil 1 ATF and also uses it for the power steering fluid. This is quite common, and the ATF is more durable, assuming both are non-synthetics. You cannot however put PS fluid in the ATF. However, it is perfectly okay to put ATF fluid in the PS. However, I would personally recommend you put the PS fluid where PS fluid will go. Using the ATF fluid in the PS will give you a likely stronger feel, but could cause a little more leaking. Synthetic PS fluid was developed to avoid this problem.
Old 02-27-03, 12:59 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Your Lexus owner's manual should tell you to use Mercon ATF as PS fluid. The people at my local part stores did not know what they were talking about when they suggested that I used standard PS fluid. Hell No! All Lexus' and Toyota's that I came across used Mercon as powering steering fluid.
Old 02-27-03, 01:55 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

The cap for my PS reservoir states to use Dexron II ATF. So that's what I use.
Old 02-27-03, 08:04 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

same here, my '02 manual calls for DEXRON II or III ATF in the PS resevoir.

MERCON and MERCON V are registered trademark of Ford Motor Company.
DEXRON is a registered trademark of General Motors Corporation.
ATF+3 and ATF+4 are registered trademarks of DaimlerChrysler Corporation.

steviej
Old 02-28-03, 02:40 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Like I said earlier my advice is to use PS, not ATF, fluid where PS fluid should go. However, I will bet you 10 times out 10, that if you live in Mexico City, like I do, you will find your regular Dex II or Dex III fluid dead-dirty after six months. The bad air and high altitude finds its way right into my car. I have a good relationship with Toyota, and they have also found this out after selling cars here for about a year. Like I tell you, if you live where I live, you really want to use synthetics. Moreover, if you see the crazy and evil turns, along with the crazy and evil drivers, you will wish you had the synthetic PS fluid, as it is much easier to maneuver.

However, my advice for the USA, do what you wish.
Old 03-08-03, 04:12 PM
gp1200x
Rookie

LEXMEXICO

I changed all my fluids today..took four hours...T-IV for tranny and synthetics for everything else...Mobile 1 75W90 for both cases, real pain to refill them ....didn't get to the brakes yet.

Question...what particular Valvoline synthetics did you use....I found the brake fluid one...pure synthetic DOT 3 and DOT4 specs....cheap too!

However for the PS fluid the only Valvoline I found was a synthetic blend..not sure if it is totally synthetic but it was perfectly clear. Is this the stuff you are using?
Old 03-10-03, 05:32 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

That is the stuff, should look clear when it comes out. The containers almost look the same.