Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Oil Additives

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-03, 03:10 PM
TO_SC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Additives

Most of us are familiar with the snake-oil style additives which were all the rage, most of which touted PTFE as a coating ingredient. But... the original slick 50 formula apparently worked. The guy who invented it apparently left the company when they started adding ptfe to the formula and is selling it under a new name: Xcel Plus (http://www.xcelplus.com/index.htm). Anyone have any experiences with it?
Old 02-19-03, 05:50 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had some friends have good experiences with Auto-RX and Restore.
Old 02-19-03, 07:14 AM
TO_SC300
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Hmm, thanks for the tip. I just looked around and found this site:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Interesting site with oil and additives analysis, they seem to like auto-rx.
Old 02-19-03, 09:44 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer actually adds oil additives at some services.

www.bkprod.com
Old 02-19-03, 11:47 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Not so sure about the slick 50

Wasn't there a class action lawsuit in the back of car and driver a few years ago against slick 50. I thought I remember reading that the "molecular" bond of "slickness" if overheated would breakdown and "schmotz up" (industry term) the engine internals. Your best bet is to just be good about changing the oil or better yet use synthetic.
Old 02-19-03, 12:00 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

I used both of these products in a 6cyl 4.9L Ford truck with 140,000 miles. It had been parked for a couple years and when I got it (Free, if I hauled it away, it was firing on 5 cylinders most of the time and running quite ragged.

I was told it was a bent valve and quoted $600 to repair. I drained the gas tank, squirted carb cleaner in the carburetor and added the Restore for 3,000 miles, changed the oil and added the Slick50 for 3,000 more.

They worked great and I ran that truck for years until I sold it for $300 at 210,000 miles. Just about everything on that truck was broken, except the engine...which started up and ran like a top every single time.

I can recommend this stuff for 4.9L 6cyl. Ford engines.
Old 02-26-03, 11:44 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've used justice brothers brand. Don't know if there is any difference. Everyone's engine seems to last them 200k+ miles... don't know if we even need them.
Old 02-26-03, 07:00 PM
Guitarman

I have used X1R for a few years in my other cars, because of mechanic referrals on it many years back. One guy told me about their work with NASA and how their lubricants were inducted into the Space Technology Hall of Fame there.
I had a pinion chirp (loud!) in my 200+k mile T-Bird SC almost 2 years ago, and 2 oz of this added to the diff fluid stopped it , haven't heard a chirp since. It was diagnosed by a shop , and would've cost me ~$350 to fix, but I thought i'd try the X1R first, glad I did. It's still in there.
It also stopped a lifter tap in my brother's car. As far as I know, I've never seen any government litigation against the claims of their products , to the contrary, the NASA info is on their site.

http://www.x1r.com/withframes/frameset2.html

No teflon.

Is it necessary? Probably not, but for certain metal to metal problems, it's proven it's effectiveness to me.
Old 12-19-03, 03:45 AM
pkchin
Driver

Originally posted by Lexmexico
I have had some friends have good experiences with Auto-RX and Restore.
Lexmexico,

I just bought some auto-rx, seems like a product that works, albeit slowly. What are your impressions of the product? Notice any improvements?
Old 12-20-03, 10:45 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

I have had friends use it in their cars, have used it in my own. I found this product especially usefully when I switched an old Mercedes 190e to synthetic. Previously, I had not used the product on another Mercedes 190e and had oil leaking. The 190e I used the AutoRX on was older and no leaking.

Other friends noticed it loosened up some sludge related to dino oil. They could really feel the difference in the engine.

I personally use it in my 99 RX to get sulfur deposits out of the engine and the cat. Pemex gas here in Mexico has the highest content of any gas in the world. If you take a new Lexus across the border and use their gas, kiss your catalytic converter goodbye. Only old style cats will work there.