Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Defective ES Engines???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-03, 07:31 PM
cheapsk8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Defective ES Engines???

The sales rep at a local Bosch parts/service center informed me that Toyota has been having problems with the ES 300 engines(RX engines were mentioned also). He claimes that the manufacturer has had to extend warranties because of 'bizarre problems and a high number of motors just 'dying''. He doesn't agree on the recommended oil change intervals and says that we should be using Mobil synthetic and 93 octane gas only. All of these problems have been encountered by this outfit, I'm not sure how often, but I got the sense that he was telling me my car , (with only 47K) is potentially a ticking timebomb ready to blow at any moment! I have seen posts by members that have upwards of 200K on their cars and some without incident. I'm just curious to see if anyone has had any problems with thieir ES's.

Later

Chris
Old 03-03-03, 08:17 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Chris, it sounds to me like this guy has no idea what he was talking about. The ES300 is and has always been one of the most reliable luxury cars around. I can't believe he was mentioning all the bullcrap in front of your face as if you have a major problem on your car. Perhaps this guy has never driven an ES before, I wouldn't be surprised

For the record, I've owned my '96 ES for 7 years (bought in mint cond.), and I have never recalled any engine or tranny problems from my car (although I had my tranny oil/filter/gasket changed last year, it should be a part of the recommended maintenance schedule). As far as regular oil and gas, I use Toyota motor oil from the dealership (oil changed every 4-5K miles), and fill up with 87 octane gas. Occasionally, I put some Techron fuel injector treatment into the tank. So far, this puppy is getting close to 125,000 miles, and I really can't be any happier with the way I take care of the Lex, and the way the Lex takes care of me
Old 03-03-03, 08:36 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by lexusk8
Chris, it sounds to me like this guy has no idea what he was talking about.
Actually he does!

He may be going about things in an extreme manner but If you search around, both on google and here on the CL, you'll find that there is indeed a "problem" that has caused Toyota to extend the warranty on V6 engines produced in a specific time-frame. The fact that it has been generally reliable doens't change the fact that there are quite a number of folks that have had problems.

I have my own opinion about why these "problems" abound but read up on it and make your own informed decision.

Old 03-03-03, 11:29 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
Actually he does!

He may be going about things in an extreme manner but If you search around, both on google and here on the CL, you'll find that there is indeed a "problem" that has caused Toyota to extend the warranty on V6 engines produced in a specific time-frame. The fact that it has been generally reliable doens't change the fact that there are quite a number of folks that have had problems.

The problem is called Oil Gelling. The solution is called changing your oil. Lexus and toyota have done something no other car maker will do. Warranty an engine due to lack of service. Currently all Lexus is asking is to show proof of at least one oil change per year. The oil gelling is caused by lack of care for your car. When we repair or replace these engines, they get the same parts. No parts have been updated. Mr Johnson, I'm not flaming you. Just stating my opinion about this whole sore subject. It goes against everything any lexus dealer has done, to repair a neglected engine for free. Personally I think these people should be paying for the whole thing.

Oh well!

DD
Old 03-04-03, 06:54 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by DevilDog
No parts have been updated.
I was speaking of an engine design change that occurred during that timeframe that "supposedly" made gelling more likely.

Originally posted by DevilDog
Mr Johnson, I'm not flaming you. Just stating my opinion about this whole sore subject.
No problems. Hey I agree with you but you left what I think was my most important point out of your quote.

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
I have my own opinion about why these "problems" abound but read up on it and make your own informed decision.

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 03-04-03 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-04-03, 01:25 PM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend down here in Mexico City that has a '01 ES300. Not to put down Toyota, but one of the dealerships had no clue that Toyota had its own ATF. They put ESSO ATF into it, and before you know it he had driven 80 miles outside the city, and the transmission gave out. He had to have it towed to Lexus in San Antonio (600 miles), as Toyota could not service the vehicle despite its similarity to the Camry.

BTW, He had been using 93 octane and Mobil 1.
Old 03-04-03, 07:31 PM
cheapsk8
Driver

info at this site: http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=38921

-c
Old 03-05-03, 06:02 PM
Kimbill
Driver School Candidate

I don't think there's an engine problem at all.

Sometime in the past months, I received a wierd letter from Lexus, that basically offered an extended warranty if we had a certain type of engine failure. It spoke of smoking engines etc. The last paragraph asked that we simply change oil at the recommended intervals. As I read it, I thought, who doesn't change oil? Do folks think they need no oil changes? This is lunacy. In fact, I told a few friends about the letter, and they were astounded that Lexus would extend a warranty for poor maintenaance. Actually. I can't remember if the letter was address,ed "Dear Lexus Owner", meaning all Lexus owners, or more specifically , "Dear, ES-300 Owner"

At the time, I figured they sent me this letter because, the car has never been in Lexus dealership since we bought new in 1998 (in Florida). Since, their records are linked (I think) to all Lexus dealers, I probably seemed like a good candidate for a "reminder letter".

From previous posting on this thread, it would seem not everyone received this letter, so perhaps it went just to those ES-300's (or other Lexus owners as well,) that seemingly dropped out of sight. Nevertheless, the thrust of the lette certainly sounded like some folks are guilty of poor maintenance.

Much of the year, we live along a sand road in the woods of Northern MInnesota, so we take the car "Jeff down at the corner". After all, it's just a car, and he sees cars every day. Other jackpine savages up here, are just as interested in insuring their new Ford Focus enjoys a long life as I with my Lexus. The last car Jeff took care of lasted for 265,000 miles on the original V8 engine, transmission, and front end (but 4 radiators).

Well, I'm drifting off the subject of failing Lexus engines, but I really think the letter went to "disapperaing" Lexis, and the warranty extension was for PR ..............That's what I think.

Kimbill
Old 03-05-03, 07:28 PM
kreativ
Advanced

The warranty got extended because some owners were smart enough to get their stories public...into major newspapers, etc. Extending the warranty was to counteract the bad publicity and wave of concerned 1MZ-FE owners contacting them. Otherwise, Toyota would've said "tough luck" like they (and for that matter, any other car manufacturer not wanting to lose money) do with any of the other more valid problems that they choose to play down.

The engine is more susceptible to oil gelling. It isn't able to take improper maintenance as well as other engines can. Someone who knows nothing about oil and takes his/her car to Jiffy Lube whenever they remember may be in trouble. From the few accounts that I read, this seems to have been the case. No one on these forums should have any worry of having an oil gelling problem so severe that it renders the engine useless. I own this engine, and I'm certainly not worried. But I'm more than happy to accept the extended warranty and give thanks to the maintenance-ignorant owners who made it happen.

Last edited by kreativ; 03-05-03 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-05-03, 07:30 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Originally posted by Kimbill
]From previous posting on this thread, it would seem not everyone received this letter, so perhaps it went just to those ES-300's (or other Lexus owners as well,) that seemingly dropped out of sight. Nevertheless, the thrust of the lette certainly sounded like some folks are guilty of poor maintenance.
They were sent out at different times. I did receive the letter for my '02 ES.
Old 03-05-03, 09:59 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by Kimbill
I don't think there's an engine problem at all.

[snip]

The last paragraph asked that we simply change oil at the recommended intervals. As I read it, I thought, who doesn't change oil? Do folks think they need no oil changes? This is lunacy.
I heard about one LS430 that came into the dealership with 53K+ miles on it and the engine was gelled darn near solid. The owner claimed he didn't think a car like the Lexus would need it's oil changed so much. Never once had an oil change.

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 03-05-03 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-05-03, 11:39 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the ES engines are pretty durable. I pretty much DROVE that car pretty hard everyday (6000RPM several times a day) and finally parted w/ it because of (from what i can tell) TRANNY problems. I changed the oil every 2,500miles or so, sometimes synthetic.
Based on my other experiences w/ Toyota V6 3 liters in the house and such, i can say w/ confidence that it is a reliable, durable, great performing engine, ESPECIALLY if it is reasonably taken care of, and is driven modestly, and was broken in PROPERLY.
Old 03-06-03, 06:05 AM
Kimbill
Driver School Candidate

"Gelling? ....... Gelling"? ...............Isn't that what we used to call "sludge"?

We had a Honda Prelude years ago, and during a visit to the Honda dealer, I passed by a mechanic cooling down an engine with a box fan so he could set valves -- the valve cover was removed. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a wierd looking valve train, it was all grey. Upon a closer look, the entire valve assembly was a mass of what we used to call "sludge", it must have filled the valve cover when it was on. There were "slots" in the sludge where the rockers went up and down through the grey crud the consistancy of whipped cream - it was shamefull. The mechanic said they a number of cars like that.

Perhaps, Lexus, and other mfgrs., should offer free oil and filter changes, and build it into the front end price. The bad press and extending warranties is much more costly.

Kimbill
Old 03-11-03, 10:30 PM
tech237
Rookie

FYI Toyota will not be continuing to warranty engine work for people who have not changed the oil regularly as in the conditions mentioned above.....this is directly from my service manager as of last week.......
Old 03-29-03, 06:30 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

FYI: Here is a pic of an RX300 owner who didn't change his oil for 25K miles. The car has a total of 45K miles on it. Believe it or not, Lexus is paying for this guys repair.

Looks like a defective owner too me.

DD
Attached Thumbnails Defective ES Engines???-oilgel2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Defective ES Engines???