Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Restore

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-03, 04:30 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Restore

Anybody every use the product "Restore" Engine Restorer and Lubricant? If so, what is your opinion of it?

Last edited by spxChrome; 03-23-03 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-23-03, 07:16 PM
Geremology101
Rookie

what is it supposed to do? restore the engine to looking new?
Old 03-23-03, 07:25 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

I have heard good things about it but not from lex owners.

http://www.restoreusa.com

WHAT IS RESTORE AND WHY SHOULD I USE IT?
Every vehicle's engine wears out as a result of friction during normal operation. This friction causes wear of the cylinder walls which leads to compression loss. Lost compression results in your engine having less power --- it runs poorly and has sluggish acceleration. It also can cause increased oil burning, exhaust smoking, and poor fuel economy. RESTORE Engine Restorer and Lubricant is a unique engine additive that repairs those worn-out areas in the cylinder wall thereby restoring cylinder compression and improving engine performance to nearly new original condition.

HOW DOES RESTORE WORK?
RESTORE is the only product that contains the proprietary CSL formula. This technologically advanced formulation has unique properties that actually fill in and seal micro-leaks in the cylinder wall. The result is increased engine compression and more engine power.

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING RESTORE?
By using RESTORE on a regular basis at every oil change, you will keep the compression ratio of all cylinders at near original levels. You will feel the difference when you drive --- your vehicle will have more power, better acceleration and it will run smoother because the compression is balanced across all cylinders. In addition, if your engine is burning oil and smoking because of blow-by, RESTORE's CSL formula can solve that problem too. We are so confident that you will be happy with the results that we offer a full money-back guarantee if you're not completely satisfied!

IS RESTORE GOOD FOR MY ENGINE?
Yes, not only does RESTORE's CSL formula repair worn-out areas on the cylinder wall, it also is an EP (extreme pressure) lubricant that greatly enhances the lubrication of your vehicle's engine. This means better engine protection during start-up and heavy loading when normal motor oil film breaksdown and allows excessive wear of engine parts.
Old 03-23-03, 07:27 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Restore

I used it on my LS400 , my stepdad used it on his Buick Lesabre, and my mom used it on her Toyota Tercel, all with well over 150,000 miles each. Did it make them run like new? no. Did it make the engine smoother by cleaning and lubricating the top end? It seems to, but I didn't take the engine apart to verify it. My two cents... the product has been around a very long time, like Marvel Mystery Oil, and if it didn't perform as advertised it would have been picked apart by the consumer advocates and defrauded much like Slick 50 and the Tornado fuelsaver have been.

HTH,

GA400
Old 03-24-03, 07:09 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Good question.

I know people here in Mexico who do get a lot of benefit out of the product. HOWEVER, these people fill up with the worst gas on the earth, Pemex (due to know cleaning agent in the fuel tanks at the stations), and they use very cheap motor oil. Add in lots of stop and go driving and the lack of efficient engine cleaning, and Restore works wonderfully, along with its fuel injector cleaner. So if you have been treating you car like you know what, then anything is bound to work, including Restore.

If you want to try a good product, I get a lot of recommendations for Auto-RX. Also think about filling up at Chevron or just buying the Techron product at any auto store. Techron has done wonders for my RX down here.
Old 03-24-03, 08:23 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Yea, I just bought a big can of Restore for the oil and 1 bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil for the gas. I bought this car used and have no idea how it was taken car of so I figured I would run a bottle of each through it just for kicks. Since it sounds like from here that it can't hurt anything.

Now I just have to figure out how to get some of the old oil out so I don't over-fill
Old 03-24-03, 06:27 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

do a oil change then put the restore in first and fill it up with oil until it's full.
Old 03-24-03, 06:38 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

A friend of mine uses it and says to only run it about 500 miles before your next oil change. Not to run it the full 3K because it will thin the oil and could do more damage than good. An interesting point. I haven't decided what I will do. Getting it in 500 miles for a oil change sure is alot of hassel.
Old 03-24-03, 11:37 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Reptile juice.

Lizard extract.

Snake Oil !
Old 03-26-03, 10:17 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

spxChrome,
I've used Restore on my old Acura Legend 190k miles, the car was leaking oil and burning oil thru the valves seals into the cylinders going thru a quart every 1,500 miles ( no external oil leaks ). Restore slows down the leak to 1/4 quart every 3000 miles and no more white smoke under hard accelleration. That being said, I don't think there's any real benefit using Restore vs using a heavier weight oil 10w40 15w50 ect.
If you're burning oil, try running a heavier weight oil or try Restore. If you're not burning oil it would just be a waste of money.

Since you just bought the car, buy a bottle or two of Techron or BG 44k fuel injection cleaner. Before your next oil change, pour a bottle of Type F (Mercon) ATF into your crankcase and run it for 15 minutes or so to clean out your engine.

Luck
Old 03-27-03, 06:21 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Nick T, that is good advice.

I have had to use Mobil 1 15W-50 due to the 8,000 foot altitude here in Mexico City. The heavier weight oil definitely does the job.
Old 03-29-03, 01:54 PM
cheapsk8
Driver

Smile

Don't know about Lex but I used to have an '89 Chevy IROC Z-28. Started burning SOME oil and smoking around 130K, mainly on startup, probrobly valve stem seals. Used Restore, didn't notice any performance difference but it did stop the smoking.

-c