Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Failed My Inspection!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-03, 02:41 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed My Inspection!

I have a 1996 ES w/75,000 miles. I went to get an inpection done today and the mechanic showed me on the computor that I failed the HC part. I saw it done twice and still failed. The mechanic (not from lexus) says that happens usually from High CO2. Says the car is running hot and giving out too much CO2. He says getting a tune up should do the job. I dont know anything about the ES300 service schedule but I think that is should be done about now. He gave me a price of $300. He also gave me a price of $325 for a timing belt.

The total for timing belt and tune up is $625. Does anyone know if that is a good price? Also, does the '96 ES use platinum spark plugs? If it does, do I have to request that he puts them in or he should already know? I do not want to pay an arm and leg at the lexus dealer.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-25-03, 03:19 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess the first question to ask is what does the $300 tune-up cover (e.g. fluid changes, mechanical inspections, etc.)? As for the timing belt, I'm assuming the $325 price tag includes labor, correct? If so, the price sounds about right for a timing belt change. Recommended maintainence schedule says to have the timing belt changed on the ES at the 90K mark, but you're not too far from it (75,000 miles).

I also have a '96 ES, but with a higher mileage (~127K miles). The '96 does use platinum spark plugs, and I had mine replaced by the dealership as part of the 90K service. If you have the mechanical know-how, I'm sure you can install the plugs yourself. Overall, I think you're getting a decent price for the fix-ups required and the mechanic's advice.

Oh, sorry to hear you failed the inspection. I remember I did mine 2 years ago as part of the state emissions test, and the results sheet showed all low numbers
Old 03-25-03, 03:53 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

The tune up is $300 total with labor and parts....Thats a full tune -up. I have to make sure he uses the platinum spark plugs.

I thought the timing belt was at the 70k mark. If 90k miles is what is recommended then I will just wait for it until then. I drive 7,000miles a year so I can put that off for a bit.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-25-03, 04:13 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

High HC is cause by unburn fuel or incomplete combustion. This is a very complicate problem to deal with. It's depending on the condition of your engine and how you're take care of your car as well.
Are you talking about CO2( Carbon Dioxide) or CO ( Carbon Monoxide)? The higher the CO2 is the better which mean the CO2 is formed during complete combustion, it is an indicator of combustion efficiency.
Old 03-25-03, 08:20 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get some garranty from the mechanic that if you have the tune-up done then your car passes inspection.
Sounds like this is the mechanics "quess". What happens if he does the tune up and you still don't pass. Will the mechanic refund the money for the tune up?

Call a Lexus dealer, have them fax you a copy of what would be included in their "tune-up" and the price.
Compare this to what the your independent mechanic plans to do.

Is the $325 for timing belt and labor only. Does it include water pump replacement, new pulleys, new serpentine belts? What is included.

sj
Old 03-26-03, 09:57 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ripe911,
The prices seem "reasonable" for the tune-up since it involves removing the intake runners to replace the rear 3 spark plugs. The t-belt is a good price if it includes a new water pump. As others have said, ask the mechanic exactly what is involved and what parts will be replaced. Will he use OEM parts or aftermarket? How much more would it cost for OEM?

I would reccomend doing both services now. Change the T-belt, water pump, serpentine belt, now as the maintanence schedule should read "90k miles OR 7 years" It's rubber, even though the mileage is not at 90K yet, it's still 7+ years old. In addition to the t-belt and if your finances allow also change the cam and crank seals as well as get a new t-belt tensioner. Labor for those things should not be much more if at all so you would only be paying for the parts. Platinum plugs realistically only last 60k miles, so you are due for a tune-up anyways.

Luck
Old 03-26-03, 01:03 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

The mechanic says a full tune-up $300 w/ labor included. The timing belt is $325 w/ labor included. He didnt mention anything about a water pump. I still have to ask about the platinum plugs.

Another interesting thing today. I went to another mechanic today and told him about how I failed the inspection. He looked under the hood and pointed out to me that I needed fuel injection cleaning. The last time I had it done was 3yrs/22,000miles ago. He said to get the fuel injection cleaned and drive the car on the highway for a about week to blow all the dirt build up out of there. Then come back to do the inpection and it should pass.

I could try this just to pass the inspection and then worry about the tune-up and timing belt a few weeks later. Should I give that a try?

Thanks for your help
Old 03-26-03, 01:21 PM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ripe911,
I believe your car has a cap and rotor as well as spark plug wires, ask your mechanic exactly what is changed for the $300 tune-up and ask for OEM, which would mean platinum plugs b/c you're using dealer parts. If he throws in the water pump and serpentine belt for $325 it's a good deal.. if not, ask how much MORE it would cost... and again insist he use OEM.

I understand you're trying to save money, however here in VA inspection stations only give you one free re-inspect after emissions failure. Then it's another $28 for emissions test. You can try the fuel injection cleaner and if you past great! But if not, you're going to have to do the tune-up anyways and pay for the 3rd inspection. Personally, If I plan to keep the car I would do all the maintanence on it before inspection which would give me a much better chance at passing since it all have to be done sooner or later anyways.
Old 03-26-03, 08:00 PM
fog80
Driver

you scaring me cause my inspection is due on my '96 es300 with 80,000 and i havent had a tune up in a while, i just cant afford it.

my muffler has been making weird noises in the rain and snow and i hope it doesnt make me fail my test.
Old 03-27-03, 06:10 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the story from Mexico.

Down here, I need not take my 99 RX in for inspection, since I have American plates. Emission restrictions in Mexico City are 50% less than in the States, California for instance. You would think given the bad air they would make it more stringent.

Anyway, Coscto sells Chevron's Techron formula. Pemex gas is horrendous and contributes to the emission problem. I know several people who could not pass their emission inspection and used Techron, and low and behold passed with flying colors.

Give it a try.
Old 03-27-03, 05:38 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

OK I just got my fuel injection cleaned and now I dont know why but the "check engine" light comes on. I was told that it could be the front oxygen sensor. Turns out all the junk that came out of the car from the cleaning did something to the oxygen senser. I dont know whats going on. So, I gave the car to a very good mechanic now. He has an account with my cousins Rent-A-Car company and can be trusted. He will give a it a thorough diagnosis and tell me everything. He will give good prices on OEM parts for a full tune up and whatever else I need.

My car is around 75,000 miles now. I was expecting to shell out some dough around this time to keep the car mantained. I dont mind because this car is gorgous. The paint still has a slick wet look and head lights look like their encased in diamond glass. So its worth it. Can't wait to get it back and see the improvement.

I will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 03-28-03, 05:52 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Might be that your OBD II check reveals a likely rich (or perhaps lean) fuel mixture. Let us know what the code states.
Old 03-28-03, 12:44 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Ripe911 and others who fail inspection:

Instead of wasting huge wads of cash on spark plugs and a new timing belt and now a fuel injector cleaning (something you MIGHT need at 100k miles) why don't you just try changing your fluids: oil, radiator, etc. You know, the cheap stuff. Pop in a new air filter. CHECK THE EMMISSIONS SYSTEM. Might be the charcoal canister, o2 sensor, EGR valve might be stuck. Most people don't know that in the charcoal canister you are supposed to replace the filter. Also put a new rotor in your distributor. It gets worn down. Cheap part, easy install. Better spark = cleaner burn. Please stop letting mechanics talk you into doing huge repairs first. They should be your last course of action.

You really should replace your spark plugs at 60k miles. Although I doubt that is why you are failing inspection.

As far as check engine light goes, see above. Start with the little stuff. Something might be a loose or disconnected. Disconnect your battery after making any major changes to reset the computer (check engine light).

ripe911, you said something about how the junk from the dirty fuel injectors did something to the oxygen sensors. That makes no sense. A bad O2 sensor would almost certainly fail you on an inspection while dirty fuel injectors would not. Sounds like your mechanic just wants to keep you coming back for more.

Good luck.

fog80, have replaced your spark plugs before? If not, please don't put off replacing your spark plugs any longer. There are instructions on CL on how to do it yourself. If I can do it you can, too, bro. It really doesn't cost much (labor is where they get you). If your spark plugs start to fail you could be looking at serious damage to your engine.

Last edited by Pianoman72; 03-28-03 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-28-03, 07:04 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

I got my car back today. The mechanic who does my cousins rental company cars had some free time so he ran the car through the computor and it showed the spark plugs were misfiring. He gave me a full tune up with platinum spark plugs and all the other bells and whistles plus an inspection for $200. Pretty cheap. I drove the car and man does it FLY!!!

Thanks everyone for your help. Time to polish and wax my car and take out for a spin. Take care