Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

P/S rack leaking $$1800

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-03, 09:48 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy P/S rack leaking $$1800

That's what it says on my invoice from my recent oil change under "notes." Buddy of mine who knows cars is going to hopefully help me fix this, but we haven't looked at the book yet to see what it involves. I do not have $1800 lying around, sorry Lexus.

Should I get a rebuilt power steering rack from a parts store or do you guys recommend another source? I'm in Dallas. Any advice would be great. I have one of those CD service manuals to get us started, but my friend has never had to replace one before. Do I do too much turning?

Thanks.

Oh, I have a '93 GS300 closing on 52k miles.
Old 03-31-03, 04:04 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Look how optimistic I was this morning. I don't know if we're up to this. This sucks! It only has 52k miles on it and I try to take care of it. Should I reconsider keeping the car? Is there a chance the dealer would work with me a little bit? I don't know what to do. It doesn't look like anyone here has had the steering column leak. AHHHRH! NO!

Edit: I did a search and someone said there might be something wrong with the column if it makes a sound when you turn the wheel. What kind of sound? When I turn the wheel farther than normal it usually makes a weird noise similar to when you are cleaning glass and there is friction. I used to think it was funny....

I was hoping maybe the dealer was wrong in their diagnosis.

Last edited by Pianoman72; 03-31-03 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-31-03, 10:41 PM
strongsail
Instructor

I've had the leaking pump problem myself, and I have heard of high pressure hose failures, but never of a leaking rack.

If I were you I'd get a second opinion---
Old 04-01-03, 02:44 PM
James2210
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

A friend of mine had a leaking power steering pump (on a GM, not a Lexus) and was quoted nearly $550 for a replacement ($650 fitted). He then found some stuff, I think it was made by Wynns, that is supposed to stop leaks in power steering systems. He had to take out some fluid, then add this stuff and so far, no more leaks. Not bad for $10 Obviously, on a GM it doesn't matter if it messes up-just throw away the car and buy a new one! If however something did go wrong on a Lexus, it would probably cost quite a bit to get this stuff flushed out and the problem repaired properly.

Be careful that wherever it is leaking from, it is not able to get onto the paintwork or the exhaust as it could be dangerous.
Old 04-01-03, 03:01 PM
spdwyvette
Driver School Candidate

I've got a leaking pump on me ES300.... The book says 1.6hr labor to replace. The cost is about $200.00 for a rebuild pump from the local autoparts store. I've never heard of a rack leaking..... Here's a tip: Robinair make a dye that you can put in the fluid. Using a blacklight, the fluid will show yellow under the blacklight. This can help detect exactly where the leak is. Most (real) autoparts stores will have this stuff.

spdwyvette
(2001 Corvette, 1993 ES300)
Old 04-01-03, 04:32 PM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Pianoman,
Like spdwyvette said, trace the leak. I've never heard of Robinair but it's worth a try. Once you've located your leak you can then decide which course of action to take. A rebuilt rack is going to cost. If it's just a bushing, it might be more cost effective to just change the bushing. I've never heard of racks that go bad with those low miles unless the rack boots were torn a long time ago and debris was allowed to enter the rod and wear out your bushings.

As for the noise, that's normal at maximum lock. Just don't turn your steering wheel to maximum lock as it puts extra stress on the belts, pumps, hoses etc.
Old 04-01-03, 06:56 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can get you another used rack for 400 shipped. Let me know if you are interested.

gazi_ali@hotmail.com
Old 04-03-03, 08:41 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Default Is this related?

I never thought about this before, but my car makes a wheezing sound when I turn the wheel; (not just to the extremes) it makes a louder sound the faster I turn it. I've been checking my PS fluid and I haven't noticed a decrease yet. My friend and I are planning on trying that Robinair stuff this weekend and I'll post up what we find.
Old 04-04-03, 09:05 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

I just spoke to the dealer and they said there are rubber seals on the rack and on a ten year old car they will inevitably go bad. You can't just replace the seals, you have to replace the rack, and when the fluid is low the steering will make a moaning noise.

My PS fluid isn't low I don't think but I'll check it again. I'm not that clear on the PS system but I assume what he told me is correct?

Anyone want to help me take my car apart? haha. I'm screwed, eh?
Old 04-04-03, 10:05 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the rack could leak and the rack seals can be replaced. However, rack seals replacement requires specialized tools, skills, and high pressure testing equipments. You can easily check for rack leaks by looking inside the rack bellows. It's OK if you see some PS fluid inside the bellows, but if PS fluid starts to pour out of the bellows when you remove them, then the rack is leaking too much.
Old 04-04-03, 01:32 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Update

I just spoke with Davenport Motor Co. in Plano (found out about them through CL) and they quoted me a price that was 50% less than the dealer. Real nice guy answered the phone too, and didn't mind chatting with me a little bit. (I asked them about just replacing only seals and they also said the rack needs to be replaced but you can wait until you are having to add fluid weekly.)

Based on what everyone has said I think it is a good idea not to attempt this myself, although it would have made a great write-up. Oh well, you have to know when to turn it to the pros and I don't mind paying as long as I'm not getting ripped-off.
Old 04-04-03, 04:32 PM
naabdad
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Be caution when using aftermarket rebuilt rack & pinions, if they quoted you half the price there is a reason why. they are using a remanufactuered rack not rebuilt by "Lexus" Some rebuilders can have constant problems with their racks (releaking) after installed in your car. Check to see what their warranty is and that it pays for both parts and labor if it need to be replaced and that it is at least 2-3 years on the warranty for that much.
Old 04-06-03, 07:12 PM
rhz
Driver School Candidate

Try for whats called a "long rack"... it has the steering tie rod ends on, ready to go.
Make sure the car's aligned after install, too.

Also, as a pointer to make a rack last longer, don't "dead crank" the steering when you're completely stopped... try be moving slightly as the steering is turned. This reduces the stresses on the front end assemblies. Sometimes this isn't possible of course, but every little bit helps. RZ.
Old 11-26-06, 12:30 PM
rk4g63
Driver School Candidate

Lexus sells a remanufactured rack for $527 (core charge of 200$)
Old 11-26-06, 04:32 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rk4g63
Lexus sells a remanufactured rack for $527 (core charge of 200$)
Is that the price from a local dealer, or from one of the mail-order Lexus-dealer CL sponsors?

Quick Reply: P/S rack leaking $$1800