Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

NEED HELP!!!!!! Recent engine rebuild !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-15, 08:48 PM
Itsmejoka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation NEED HELP!!!!!! Recent engine rebuild !!!!

Going to try to make this sweet and simple, I have a 2008 Lexus Is250 awd. Picked this car up fairly cheap , has 99k miles , it's my 5th is250 I plan to keep this one now on to the problems ... 2 weeks ago to date I had the complete engine rebuild under the zla Carbon build up......

Problem is not ALL THE time but most of the time when coming to a stop and waiting for The light to change, I feel a vibration in the steering wheel, I throw it into park or neutral the vibration in the wheel goes away, I've made NUMEROUS attempts to go back to Lexus to get this resolved only to hear this is normal or , we want to replace the mounts for a whopping 2800$ the problem is the motor doesn't really shake when viewing it... I've replaced the alternator , cleaned TB changed the axle and so on, I can not figure out this to save my life , I have been told by the master tech at Lexus these cars just do it......... I know they get low warranty pay for these recalls and half pay ..... Maybe that's why they don't want to address any advise would help

Could it be the battery ? Normal ? Really the mounts? Valves?

Last edited by Itsmejoka; 12-10-15 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-10-15, 08:50 PM
Itsmejoka
Driver School Candidate

Like I said and can't stress enough is..... The car doesn't do it all the time . And I have noticed when it doesn't do it the idle is higher , when it starts to vibrate it's idle is down to I'd say 600-650
Old 12-11-15, 05:08 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I would look at two things. One the tps sensor could be reading erratically due to wear. A egr valve sticking at times. Need to clean it.
Old 12-11-15, 06:09 PM
Itsmejoka
Driver School Candidate

I wasn't aware these cars had a egr this is something I must look into I really appreciate it I'll update soon as I figure it out
Old 12-11-15, 06:12 PM
Itsmejoka
Driver School Candidate

Anyone care to explain of my theory is correct ! ? Not finding anything for a egr valve for my Lexus
Old 12-12-15, 04:58 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I guess I should have asked, has the throttlebody been cleaned?
Old 12-16-15, 09:43 PM
Itsmejoka
Driver School Candidate

Yes that's been cleaned , I'm really really getting irritated I'm thinking I'm just going to have to open a case with Lexus this didn't occur before they touched my car, and no it's not getting fixed and I have driven 3 other is250s not one of them feel like mine, one option i thought was maybe the exhaust is to tight or bad hangers . I don't really have all the resources to check all this , been also told it was transmission , guess I'll be making another trip to Lexus
Old 01-02-16, 08:45 PM
Itsmejoka
Driver School Candidate

So just a update...... I have contacted the dealer AGAIN for them to tell me motor mounts , the tech said he doesn't believe that this is the problem. But the service advisor wrote it off to be.....

I have replaced, belt , tensioner , alternator , water pump , idler , tires , wheels , axle , and so on.....

I've read COUNTLESS threads online that SUBARU AND AUDI/vw have THIS exact same symptom , vibration at idle in drive or reverse, ONLY with or after a aftermarket AXLE replacement , so wha I have done is order a new axle .... OEM. Will update soon as that's installed .... Has anyone ever experienced , such a symptom from a axle ? Do you guys know if OEM axle is hollow or solid ?

Last question I jacked the motor up to release the pressure form the mounts ..... And it stil vibrates .... Any I MEAN ANY HELP will be aprr!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-16, 06:00 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Tried resetting your ECU?

I just got a brand-new Lexus LS 460, took delivery at 60 or some miles and it was rather unnerving for me to experience random idle-speeds.

Sometimes it would idle at 400 RPMs while in drive at a stop. Not all of the time, just sometimes. When it did idle at 400 RPMs I could feel a slight vibration. When it idled at 600+ RPMs (which I learned is normal), I wouldn't feel a thing.

I talked to the tech and he said our cars need to "learn" idle-speed, throttle-body position, etc.

It stopped about 200 miles later and now idles perfectly with no vibration.

The last post in this thread below gives instructions on how to reset the ECU and let it learn again:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...in-gear-3.html

I have no idea if our situation was similar, but apparently this vibration/rough idle is fairly common.

I didn't have to reset mine as I guess since my car was brand new, it was more or less in that learn mode.
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (04-30-19)
Old 01-03-16, 04:57 PM
Itsmejoka
Driver School Candidate

This has become so overwhelming it's taking over my day by day routines, I have 349 miles since ECU RESET and relearn , maybe this isn't enough miles? I can't justify paying 3,000 for mounts when it very well isn't the problem , I'm praying when the oem axle comes it fixes the issue , I'm really starting to believe they did something when they had the motor out of the car it didn't do this before !!!
Old 01-04-16, 12:08 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Itsmejoka

Last question I jacked the motor up to release the pressure form the mounts ..... And it stil vibrates .... Any I MEAN ANY HELP will be aprr!!!!!!!!!!
have you checked your plugs? perhaps one or more are not firing correctly causing imbalance
I had a car before that had a vibration issue...after throwing a lot of money at it, it ended up being a burnt exhaust valve causing imbalance.
Old 01-05-16, 08:17 AM
kingdave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Itsmejoka
Going to try to make this sweet and simple, I have a 2008 Lexus Is250 awd. Picked this car up fairly cheap , has 99k miles , it's my 5th is250 I plan to keep this one now on to the problems ... 2 weeks ago to date I had the complete engine rebuild under the zla Carbon build up......

Problem is not ALL THE time but most of the time when coming to a stop and waiting for The light to change, I feel a vibration in the steering wheel, I throw it into park or neutral the vibration in the wheel goes away, I've made NUMEROUS attempts to go back to Lexus to get this resolved only to hear this is normal or , we want to replace the mounts for a whopping 2800$ the problem is the motor doesn't really shake when viewing it... I've replaced the alternator , cleaned TB changed the axle and so on, I can not figure out this to save my life , I have been told by the master tech at Lexus these cars just do it......... I know they get low warranty pay for these recalls and half pay ..... Maybe that's why they don't want to address any advise would help

Could it be the battery ? Normal ? Really the mounts? Valves?
Shortly after having the motor in my 2007 IS250 replaced, I started experiencing a similar issue. Then one day every light in the dash lit up and the car would barely move. The dealer said that one of the fuel injectors had gone kaput. The dead one was replaced under the extended warranty I purchased but they refused to replace the others. I had a couple thousand miles left on the warranty so I opted to wait and see if any other died with the idea that I'd get those replaced under warranty as well. Almost two years later, none of them has outright died but occasionally I get the exact same vibration/hesitation you speak of when the car is at a standstill.
Old 01-19-16, 06:36 PM
Itsmejoka
Driver School Candidate

Un real Lexus just had the car once again and can't figure it out... Hmmm wonder how much it'll cost to have the injectors tested !
Old 02-19-16, 03:46 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm curious, whats the complete engine rebuild for on a 100k mile car for? What kind of warranty did you get?
Since you feel something when there is a torque load it could be the mechanic forgot to tighten a motor mount.
If you can't do it your self, ask some friends if they know a good mechanic that could check it out for you.
Someone could be setting you up for paying for new mounts. If it didn't do that before the rebuild then its something that was done or not done during the reinstall of the engine. Did it come out? It has to for a Complete rebuild. And not just mounts but there could be something else that was for got or not done right.
Are you sure its not something to do with the power steering? If the engine picks up a bit in gear maybe something maybe touching on the steering shaft or ??