Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Broken Seatbelts

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-03, 10:27 AM
350z
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Seatbelts

both of the belts in my 93 ls are broken ( will not retract) is there unlimited warranty on the belts because it is a safety feature?
Old 04-17-03, 02:43 PM
BrianV
Driver

My driver belt does this, it retracts just the littlest bit.

Any way to fix?
Old 04-17-03, 03:58 PM
350z
Driver

i imagine if you pull off the covers you might be able to clean them but it could also be an actual mechanical problem with the belt itself. i was hoping to find out about warranty coverage before ripping it apart.
Old 04-17-03, 04:12 PM
BrianV
Driver

It's not going to be a gunk/dirt problem, at least one you'll have access to fix. I removed the complete thing and the bottom part is pretty sealed, and nothing happens up top.

I've seen varying prices on replacing the entire thing: $120-170, but finding one in stock is a bit more tricky. Right now I have a useless car because I refuse to drive without a seatbelt and mine is completely broke.
Old 04-17-03, 04:38 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your in luck.
I have a extra set I can sell you.
email me if you would like them.

Last edited by SQ-LS; 04-17-03 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-17-03, 05:40 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The question is whether they are covered by unlimited warranty. I would like to find out that too.
Old 04-17-03, 05:59 PM
BrianV
Driver

Apparently not, I did a search on seatbelt and found one guy got quoted $400 from a dealer for this fix. If it was free it'd be free right?

Also no one at any of the five Lexus dealers I spoke with mentioned it.

Unfortunately I feel it should be covered especialy if it's a design issue, which I think it is here as several people have stated it, and I've never had any other car (and I've had older and higher milage cars) ever have this problem.

Oh well I found it for $115 (via a hookup), so I don't feel too bad.
Old 04-18-03, 01:14 PM
350z
Driver

Default just called my "friendly Lexus dealer"

first i was told that the warranty on the belts is 4 years/60,000 miles which imo is a horrible warranty for a company who prides themselves on safety.

second, i talked to the service manager and asked what it would cost to fix. I asked if we could set up a service appt. he said that would not be necessary and that the belts MUST BE REPLACED and that is the only option. so he transferrs me to the parts guy who (when i ask the cost of the belts) says "Don't you need to have service look at it first to determine the problem and specific parts you need? so i tell him that the service guy said there are NO individual parts and the whole thing has to be replaced. He then asked me for the VIN because there are over 20 different colors of the belts and my answer of "tan" colored interior/seatbelts was not sufficient.

ok so i give him the vin and he says between $150-$183 for just the parts.

now i think i am more confused then when i started. I'm sorry but i hate lexus dealers. I have never had a positive experience with them in any aspect and imo they are really no help to the customer whatsoever. You never get a straight answer and in the end it winds up costing you a fortune.

Last time i went in I wound up paying $139 for them to replace my 60amp abs fuse (which cost me $4 in the parts store but when i tried to give them my parts of course they said because of "safety/warranty" reasons, they could not use it, so instead the Lexus price was $16.00 for the fuse, not to mention i was half way home and the light came back on so i brought the car back and they told me it was now the traction actuator and would cost $2,200. $1,800 for parts and $400 for labor. Give me a break.

ok i am done venting now!
Old 04-18-03, 01:54 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default For the 90-94 LS400..

The parts book lists the "adjuster,anchor" with DPMS (?) right side 502.00-left side 633.00-without DMPS the price is 76.00 each side.Can anybody decipher this?
Old 04-18-03, 08:00 PM
BrianV
Driver

Well I took my seatbelt out and it is DEFINITELY one piece. The retail price should be $145-$180 and they have a variety of colors (not 20 but quite a few for the 95 year). I didn't give them my VIN but I told them my interior was grey and they said the only color that they could see matching that is listed as Greyish/Blueish interior. Thus, we'll see when my part arrives on Monday.

I will avoid the Lexus dealer at all costs. I will buy parts from discount Lexus dealers and isntall them myselfs or by mechanics I trust.

My guess is that traction actuator (whatever the hell that is) can be had for $1100-1200 from another dealer.
Old 04-18-03, 08:03 PM
BrianV
Driver

PS - I think they should recall the seatbelts. Come on Lexus don't be cheap, any company would recall a car if it had defective air bags. I personally believe seat belts save more lives then air bags. Come on this is a no brainer. I put off replcaing mine for 4 months. Thankfully nothing happened, but still I shouldn't have to pay this money to fix a belt. I'd hate to see what Lexus would charge me to install it (three bolts, 2 10mm and 1 14mm). I can install and replace in 5 minutes with one ratchet and two sockets.
Old 04-19-03, 12:43 PM
350z
Driver

Thanks for the info Brian. I will definitly replace mine now that i know they are one piece and it looks pretty simple. I agree with them recalling the belts too. I mean safety is safety and for what the dealers charge....forget it.
Old 04-19-03, 01:07 PM
350z
Driver

Default seatbelt repair

ok i popped the cover off the passanger belt and was able to find the 10mm bolt. I can't seem to find the other two. can you help?
Old 04-19-03, 01:11 PM
350z
Driver

Default '95 different from '93

hmmm.... I'm thinking that the setup on the belts might be different because they are different year models...still working on getting it out.
Old 04-19-03, 01:12 PM
350z
Driver

or it could be that you are replacing the driver belt and I am currently doing the passanger belt. I'd pop off the driver belt, but with as many things that i am fixing on this car i better do them one at a time.

Quick Reply: Broken Seatbelts