Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

trans cooler leak question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-03, 02:38 PM
idsrvit
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans cooler leak question

Hello....

I just recently purchased an LX 470 (99). The car had been wrecked a week prior to my purchase and the "transmission cooler" needed to be replaced. ( Was told it is a small 10 x 10 part that keeps the transmission cool when towing) After getting the car home, we noticed a slight leak of fluid on the garage floor. We contacted the original owner and he told us he noticed the same fluid and the repair shop told him that it was just overfilled and that after some miles are put on it, it will go away. Or that we could take the overflow pan off that is directly underneath and clean it off. We have put close to 1000 miles on the car since and it has not gone away. We haven't noticed any low levels on the fill tank...so it is not excessive, just enough to notice the spots on the garage floor and very annoying! Can anyone advise me as to where this "pan" is, and what hoses I could check to see that they are all properly connected? I was told I could bring the car back to the garage that did the repairs and they will check it over, but it is a very far drive from where I live and would like to try to eliminate any and all things I should have checked first before making the trip.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.
T.W.Y.
Old 04-21-03, 08:33 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it may be just a loose fitting. I had one of these once. Use you hands and eyes. Follow the lines in and out of the cooler. There is pressure in the system, so one fitting that is loose may not be finger tight.
Try putting a clean but old sheet on the floor to pinpoint the drip(s). I say use a sheet cause it will cover the old spots on the floor. Crawl under the truck and follow the drip up. Use lots of light and watch for wet spots.

if it is a far drive, offer the garage a deal. See if they will let you take it to a Lexus certified service garage in your area, you pay for it, and they reimburse you. Definately get this in writing.
The car should be under waranty if you "just recently purchased it". Utilize this option, don't wait. Tranny leaks can either be fixed now or replaced ($$$$$) later.

Check into your state's lemon laws to see what legal ground you stand on if they can't fix it, or don't fix it.

steviej
Old 04-25-03, 10:36 AM
idsrvit
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks...think you were on target!!

StevieJ...

Just wanted to let you know...I think your answer to my question was the solution. My husband followed the leak as best as he could and tightened every bolt/screw whatever he could find along the way to the transmission cooler. He said some did feel a little loose and could have stood to be tighter. That was on Wednesday and so far so good...no leaks!! Just wanted to thank you for your input.
Sincerely
T.W.Y.