Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: Have you taken your car to a Midas, Jiffylube type place?
Yes, and I'd go again.
21.97%
Yes, and I'll never go again.
20.45%
No, but I would go.
4.55%
No.
53.03%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Midas, Jiffylube, and other shops...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-07, 01:07 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=mitsuguy;2796862] Our guys want to do it right and do do it right every time, which is why an oil change takes an hour or so

QUOTE]

Why would it take an hour to do an oil change? If your guy is familiar with the vehicle it should take 15 minutes and another 15 minutes for inspection. Our average time for oil change and car wash is 35 minutes. Spending more time on the car doesn't mean it will be done right. You would have to know what to look for. So you actually have your lead tech change the oil?
JPI
Old 07-29-07, 08:50 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=JPI;2803424]
Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Our guys want to do it right and do do it right every time, which is why an oil change takes an hour or so

QUOTE]

Why would it take an hour to do an oil change? If your guy is familiar with the vehicle it should take 15 minutes and another 15 minutes for inspection. Our average time for oil change and car wash is 35 minutes. Spending more time on the car doesn't mean it will be done right. You would have to know what to look for. So you actually have your lead tech change the oil?
JPI
In certain circumstances, yes... we have 3 lead techs, and 6 GS / in training techs in the shop at all times... It takes me 45 minutes to do it right. Rack the car, pull the wheels for rotation, check oil level and all fluids - add as needed, drain oil, pull filter, match up new filter with old, fill new filter with oil if you can (depends on location of filter obviously), install, new drain plug gasket, tighten drain plug - lower car - add oil, start car, check for oil pressure light to go off, raise car, reinstall wheels, double check for leaks and clean up any mess made - have service manager check drain plug and filter for tightness and sign off on car - lower car, check air pressure, kick racks, check all lights for operation - and somewhere in this either the tech or an inspector is checking belts, tires, hoses, battery, suspension, etc... hell, we'll even pull codes if we see a check engine light 60% of the time...

I can do it in 15 minutes, but then it's rushed, and when things are rushed is when it gets screwed up... just my opinion of course... Since I've been running this shop, we haven't had a single car come back for a loose or leaking drain plug or filter... that's been almost a year at this location... not a bad track record - much better than most other places...
Old 08-01-07, 11:42 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i agree when things are rushed.. its when they get screwed up.. so yea thats why it takes me like 15-20 mins alone to change filter and oil. i like to take my good ol time =]

tranny oil on the other hand takes a bit longer since the fill hole is tiny.. but yea..

i still gotta do the diff oil.. hasnt been changed in 151k miles. hehe
Old 08-01-07, 11:48 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=mitsuguy;2803721]
Originally Posted by JPI

In certain circumstances, yes... we have 3 lead techs, and 6 GS / in training techs in the shop at all times... It takes me 45 minutes to do it right. Rack the car, pull the wheels for rotation, check oil level and all fluids - add as needed, drain oil, pull filter, match up new filter with old, fill new filter with oil if you can (depends on location of filter obviously), install, new drain plug gasket, tighten drain plug - lower car - add oil, start car, check for oil pressure light to go off, raise car, reinstall wheels, double check for leaks and clean up any mess made - have service manager check drain plug and filter for tightness and sign off on car - lower car, check air pressure, kick racks, check all lights for operation - and somewhere in this either the tech or an inspector is checking belts, tires, hoses, battery, suspension, etc... hell, we'll even pull codes if we see a check engine light 60% of the time...

I can do it in 15 minutes, but then it's rushed, and when things are rushed is when it gets screwed up... just my opinion of course... Since I've been running this shop, we haven't had a single car come back for a loose or leaking drain plug or filter... that's been almost a year at this location... not a bad track record - much better than most other places...
If you read the post I made above. This is just an oil change only!!! A simple oil change takes 15-20 minutes max. Now tire rotation and inspection is different.
JPI
Old 09-01-07, 04:35 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a Matrix sitting in my service shop right now (has been there over a year and a half now). One of those “oil change” places did a LOF and messed up, locked up the motor and galled the head. $6-8K with labor to repair. It’s still in litigation. My baby will NEVER see one of those shops. I do all my own work.
Old 09-17-07, 08:33 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JZ_SC
There is a Matrix sitting in my service shop right now (has been there over a year and a half now). One of those “oil change” places did a LOF and messed up, locked up the motor and galled the head. $6-8K with labor to repair. It’s still in litigation. My baby will NEVER see one of those shops. I do all my own work.
out of curiosity, what happened? oil filter left loose? drain plug? double gasket the filter?

on a side note, we "attempted" an oil change on a 93 prelude the other day - we pulled the car in with the oil light on, notified the customer, then pulled the drain plug - maybe a 1/4 of a quart came out... continued with the oil change, anticipating a leak, but couldn't see any specific area that it was coming out... filled it, started it, found it was literally pouring from behind the timing belt cover... gave the customer some options, she ended up driving it home against our obvious recommendations...
Old 11-12-07, 07:18 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

this is different subject but to tell you about dealer screw up ,during flushing the ecu for transmission they screwed up all the computer and had to replace it,it took one week to order and fix.
Old 11-12-07, 11:36 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

My aunt took her corolla to Jiffy Lube a few years back...

We were on our way to the beach and she needed a quick oil change, so we took it in. After we got the car back we drove it to the beach with 4 ppl in it. While driving we noticed some sounds of heavy friction, the car jerked and the engine died/ internals got messed up.

Turned out the drain plug was loose and fell out. They had to pay for a brand new engine/labor.

So my answer would be a "Hell NO"
Old 11-12-07, 04:35 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If Your Going To Get An Oil Change At Those Place Make Sure You Can See Them Doing It. If You Dont They Will Cheat The Freak Out Of You. When My Dad Use To Bring His Car To One Of Those Shops All They Did Was Drain And Put In More. They Didnt Even Put In A New Oil Filter. Since I Have My Own Lexus Mechanic He Been Taking Kare Of Me. After I Got The Car I Changed Out The Oil For The First Time My Lexus Friend Was Hella Trippin Out Lmao. It Was Dark Like No 2morrow. So I Dont Recommend Bring It To A Shop. Unless You Really Know The Person Or You Can See Them Servicing Your Car. At Dealership They Like To Run Off With Your Expensive Oil That You Tell Them To Put In . So Your Just Getting The Basic Oil Instead Of Maybe The Syn Oil You Wanted. Take Time And Do It Yourself :]. Dont Forget About The Jiffy Lube Scam In LA.
Old 11-12-07, 06:52 PM
IS250ATX
Driver School Candidate

i just dont like people working on my cars period.... even if i had a beater... when theres stuff i cant do then ill take it to the dealership..
Old 11-12-07, 08:32 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would consider it as a last resort.

I almost made a law suit against one of them b/c I had my studs changed on my car and they broke my ABS ring without telling me (they told me my brakes might be "mushy for a couple of days") and I almost hit a Cadillac since it snowed the next day and didn't know my ABS was broken.

Took car apart and my ABS ring was missing.

Oh yeah, and this one company forgot to torque my lugnuts and I had 2 flying lugnuts while driving on the highway.
Old 12-05-07, 12:14 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to a shop here in town and I was actually under the hood the same morning before they did my oil change. I was checking my fan belts and all was good. Two days after my oil change i had got the new belts to install and when i poped the hood, i knoticed that someone had twisted the lower radiator hose to rub on the belt/pully and had almost wore through. thank god i had been doing my belt, i wouldnt of checked. That was the last time I will go to a quicky type lube place. Cost me more (about $75 in hose and antifreeze plus the 29.99 for oil change wash) than the $50 for a lexus oil change. Im just glad i caught the hose. I would of killed someone if my engine would of got dammaged.
Old 12-05-07, 12:15 PM
hectik
Rookie

i wouldnt take it to any of them, i took my car to get inspected since it was leaking oil and the guy from the shop wouldnt help me.. i wont say any names coughhh couuughh midas, all he said was " im sorry we close at 7pm" and it was barely 11am lol.. soo i said mannnnnn ****** you then and i left and well some mechanic here at work fixed it
Old 12-06-07, 12:39 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my friends Run one the oil shops at Wal-Mart. He said that they have a strict guidline when changing oil. He said that they have a torgue list for the drain plugs. He checks behind each of his people who work for him by making sure right filter used for type of motor for vehicle.
If he see's a problem he calls the customer to show them before the work is done. He told me the 3 years he as been there nobody has brought anything back from oil issues.
Old 12-06-07, 02:27 PM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

yes,you are wright,i had my tires replased there,they did excellent job,there chief checked the torque.i was very pleased with their service

Quick Reply: Midas, Jiffylube, and other shops...