Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

which suspension part dies first?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 11:27 AM
MellonC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which suspension part dies first?

(I am an RX300 owner but have a question that relates to this group)

I've driven two cars over 150K miles over the years - in both cases, the suspension dynamics were never as good as when the cars were new. I know that things break down and wear out under the car but I was never able to get ahead of the curve and replace parts as before they became very worn.

To execerberate the matter, dealers or repair shops never spend any time looking at suspension componets in the car for a fix. I'd be lucky if any of them spent 5 minutes under the car looking for a worn part. Only when you complaint of problems they start snooping around. Even then, I'd say that they spend about 30 seconds. But you see, by that time, your suspension parts (whether it's obviously broken and worn) are basically shot.

The term "my old clunker" comes from the fact that, well, your suspension starts to feel like a dump truck's after a while. Anyways, everyone tries to maintain the engine and stuff under the hood but no one pays any attention to the suspension.

So, to the owners of the best handling Lexus model, I would like to ask how long a part should last before examining for serious wear. They are:

1. Shocks and struts - 75K miles? or longer?
2. Sway bar bushings - some one suggested 100K miles
3. Springs - who knows? do they eventually settle?
4. CV Joints - ????
5. CV Inner and Outer boots and the componets inside
6. Spring insulator??

Thank you for your hepful remarks.

Last edited by MellonC; 05-07-03 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-07-03, 11:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts
Default Re: which suspension part dies first?

Originally posted by MellonC
So, to the owners of the best handling Lexus model, I would like to ask how long a part should last before examining for serious wear.
Mellon,

I'm moving your post to the maintenance forum where the Lexus techs should be able to help you based on what they've seen.

Also (IMO), the IS300 is the best handling Lexus model stock by far.
Old 05-07-03, 11:48 AM
Lvangundy

Default Re: which suspension part dies first?

Originally posted by MellonC

Anyways, everyone tries to maintain the engine and stuff under the hood but no one pays any attention to the suspension.
Exactly! I learned this when I got to drive in a new camry solara and the ride was better than my LS. I figured by changing the struts a few months ago this would make the ride smooth as silk. But NOPE!

Maintaining that super smooth ride involves many more parts, some you didn't include are control arms and bushings. I include control arms because you cannot buy the stock bushings to replace into the arms. You have to buy the entire arm...unless you go aftermarket performance bushings. Even then I haven't experienced it for myself so I don't know if replacing all the parts in the suspension will make the ride like a new car..
Old 05-07-03, 02:03 PM
MellonC
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: which suspension part dies first?

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Mellon,

I'm moving your post to the maintenance forum where the Lexus techs should be able to help you based on what they've seen.

Also (IMO), the IS300 is the best handling Lexus model stock by far.
Yes, you are right! IS300 is the best handling Lexus. How could I forget!
Old 05-07-03, 03:06 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a very tough question to answer because it's depending on the area you live and your driving habbit. If you live in NY or Chicago where the streets got a lot of pot holes, then your suspension gonna take a beat.
On the RX, I say the sway bar bushings will go first and then struts. Just my .02 cent.
Old 05-07-03, 04:01 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the GS, I've been told, bushings go (wear) first, (surfing over to DAIZEN ) which usually resulty in a domino effect on other components having to compensate, and thus wearing themselves out sooner as well. And you know what else is connected to the suspension, TIRES.

During your services, IF IT'S NOT LISTED IN YOUR o/m, start asking you dealer to check the suspension bushings, and make sure they write / type it on the invoice. You'll pay for the .5 hr of labor, but you should have advance warning if someting should go amiss down the road, and having a record of the inspecftions will back you up.
Old 05-07-03, 04:07 PM
MellonC
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by VVT-i
On the RX, I say the sway bar bushings will go first and then struts. Just my .02 cent.
Thank you for your response. I too agree that sway bar bushing go first (sometimes even before shocks give way completely). I live in a city environment as well.

I do want to see if we are talking abou the same thing, however. As people seem to talk about 2 different bushings. As far as I know, there are only one kind bushings - meaning sway bar bushings. Are there other bushings?

Also, what kind of ifx is to replace the bushings? The part seems very cheap but I wonder abou the labor portion. It seems like a very simple fix.

Thanks again for your wisdom.
Old 05-07-03, 05:16 PM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

MellonC,
Bushings are basically EVERYTHING RUBBER on your suspension and they are always prone to wear. Rubber hardens and cracks due to heat cycling and time, hence the rough ride on older cars. Unfortunately most places that sell replacement bushings only sell high performance harder durometer stuff and OEM soft costs an arm and a leg b/c they only come complete with control arms.
Old 05-07-03, 08:42 PM
MellonC
Driver School Candidate

I think I am out of luck. I've been doing some searches and found out that DAIZEN makes decent bushing set for Lexus. The problem is that they don't make Polyurethane bushings for my car - let alone any bushings.....

Anyplace you know where I can find some aftermarket replacement bushings?
Old 05-09-03, 06:41 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MellonC,

I am happy to give my two cents. I live in one of the worst environments imaginable for a car. High pollution (paint), crazy drivers (crashes), high elevation (oil usage) and bad roads and lots of speed bumps. I also do plenty of offroading here up very high mountains. I figure my experience is more than most given these issues. What happened to the suspension on my 99 RX with 60K?

1. Had to replace the front left shock. Lexus covered this even though I was over 50K, and also replaced the right front to match. It made a terrible clanking sound, but luckily I was still able to drive it over 700 miles back to the U.S. 56K

2. There is a piece of rubber support below the springs that you will find by every tire. This piece has come undone many times, and I have had to have Toyota recentralize these pieces over and over. Otherwise, it makes a very noticeable squeaking sound. 59K

Other than that no problems. I get an an alignment every month given the above conditions free of charge at Toyota. I cannot imagine you would suffer any worse than I have in a nice U.S. road environment.
Old 05-09-03, 02:25 PM
MellonC
Driver School Candidate

OK folks, thank you for the great education.

I think we've pretty much identified that bushings (wether it be control arm bushings or/and sway bar bushings) and shocks go first.

what about the other items on my list? Anyone have experience with other items wearing out?

My old Mazda had its CV boot broken at 150K miles. Anything like that?