Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Paint Quality

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-03, 06:43 AM
Deanski
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Quality

I've had my SC430 for 30days and now have stone chips on the hood and one on the side mirror. I've also noticed purple spotting on some area of the paint as well.

It seems this version of paint is more prone to chip.

Is anyone else experiencing this as well?

I have another car, a compant vehicle with 110K miles and no chips!

I'm having Lexus address this issue as to the paint quality and reason for the chipping.

Looks like Lexus should now offer X-Pel on all vehicles that are damaged so easly by small objects.

My previous Lexus never had this problem, and I'm sure it's a quality control issue in the way it was applied, cured or type of paint product. I'm aware they moved to non-lead based paints, but they have to arrive at some way to prevent this!

I feel that this is the responsibility of Lexus and not it's customers to resolve the soft paint problems in the newer cars. X-Pel may be the answer, but if Lexus aknowledges the problem, why should the customers have to purchase additional devices to prevent it from chipping? They have to resolve this somehow!

Why would I purchase a high-end vehicle only to have it damaged so easly? Makes no sense.

I'm waiting to hear from Lexus as to this issue and will keep you all upddated as to any answers or resolution.

Your thoughts and comments as to your expeience in the paint quality.

Regards,

Deanski
Old 05-08-03, 07:05 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

It is defintely completely and totally UNACCEPTABLE on a car this expensive to have ANY type of paint problem or problem of any kind occur............

Lexus has to address this issue quickly and without any argument - complete repaint or replacing the entire car.

I was in the dealership last week getting my brakes serviced and I was talking to the parts guy ( a young guy who thinks my car looks awesome) and I mentioned that the paint on my car looks very deep and rich and has no swirl marks on it despite the fact that the car is over 4 years old, however in certain light (reflection of an overhead light bulb for example) you can see very very faint orange peel. It looks (but does not feel) like the paint has an orange peel texture to it. You have to look real close to see even a hint of it.

And the parts guy said he has seen several instances of brand new Lexus cars come in with the paint already screwed up (some of the issues you mentioned - not cured, soft, peeling etc) and that they have had to repaint entire cars that have come brand spanking new from the factory! That was a very interesting fact indeed.

Another interesting fact that the parts guy mentioned is that the bumpers and panels are painted in different factories and that can sometimes cause paint matching imperfections. My car is a perfect example - the front bumper is a slightly different shade than the rest of the car. It is very hard to notice and unless someone points it out to you, you can't tell.

One other CL member here had a slightly worse problem (read this thread - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=peeling+paint ). But basically the paint on his brand new GS started peeling when the car was less than a month old. The short version of that story is that Lexus replaced the car with a new one.

Don't take any bulls##t from Lexus, have them replace the car with a brand new one or have them put on a $10,000.00 paint job.

Last edited by Hameed; 05-08-03 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-08-03, 01:16 PM
Deanski
Driver

Angry Quality

I can assure you that Lexus HAS to step up to the plate and acknowledge that there is a problem with the paint.

If the answer I get from the Lexus Customer Service Rep that I emailed is not satisfactory, I will escalate this up Lexus Management for resolution.

No one should be paying this kind of money to drive what amounts to a rolling lunar landscape!

My RX300 NEVER had this problem! Now their top-of-the-line car has paint faults?

Well, as soon as I start hearing to what they will do, I will keep you all posted.

It may take all owners to call into Lexus and put in a claim on their own paint issues for Lexus to start taking action.

Will keep everyone updated!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 05-09-03, 06:33 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will tell you my experience with my 99 RX, 60K. After I had it for a few months, the paint on the top of the back bumper began to peel. I also noticed sizeable chips on the front due to rock damage. I never like the gray two-tone paint to begin with, so I had the entire lower portion painted with Dupont black ot match the rest of the car. Cost about $400 total. I have not had any issue with this paint in almost a year. Meanwhile, the upper portion of the car still has it swirls, but no orange peel texture.....yet.
Old 05-15-03, 05:50 PM
Deanski
Driver

Angry Lexus Reply

Well, it seems Lexus is in denial!

After meeting with the dealership service manager, he concluded that yes they are stone chips (duh) and that Lexus is not responsible for "road debris", which include stone chipping.

Now, here's where things are a bit grey...

Lexus has had this model out for how long now? How many years? Wouldn't the engineering division report that the car is more prone to stone chipping due to it's body design? Haven't they experienced this first hand? Obviously, there has to be some type of acknowledgement from Lexus that YES it does tend to get damaged more frequently than say a Mercedes, BMW or whatever...

If this is the case, and more people call into the Lexus Customer Service to complain of the problem, Lexus will have to make some type of corrective action, such as adding ArmorGlove/X-Pel type of protection to the car prior to delivery.

What bothers me is that they HAVE to know about this problem, but offer nothing to correct it and fend it off as normal wear on the car!

I don't know about you, but I did not get a $63K car to look like the lunar surface after just 30 days!

They MUST offer to us, their customers, some type of level of protection if this paint is so brittle or soft!

Now I am starting to see it happining to the chrome strip under the hood! What the hell!

I'm about to return the car back to Lexus and go and get the Mercedes!

I've viewed several cars in the condo complex where I live, all daily drivers and not one had the same problem! They range from BMW, Mercedes, Acura and others. My car is garaged and only used on weekends!

It's up to you fellow owners!!! Call into Lexus Customer Service and inform them you are dissatisfied with the way your paint is being abused by chipping.

Ask to speak to Jeff Shimizu as well and let him know this should be escalated up to Lexus management!

Had I known about this when I picked-up the car, I would have had it sent to ArmorGlove in Greenwich, CT to have this done at once! The sad thing is, this dealer offers it, but it never was brought to my attention when I got the car! All they offer was the Simoniz crap and tire warranty.

Now I have to have the hood corrected AND spend MORE money on ArmorGlove just so I can enjoy this car without it looking like it's got an acne problem!

You can see my point "Hey nice car! Oh too bad for your hood, it looks like it may need to see a dermatologist, maybe some Accutane will clear that up"

Shame on you Lexus for not informing your customers on a known problem! 63K rolling lunar surface!

OK, enough rant.... I need your thoughts and your support on this! PLEASE CALL!

Your thoughts and your results would be appreciated!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 05-15-03, 09:39 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Well,

Before you go about painting the hood, which will run into match problems with the fenders..ect. Have a look into airbrush chip repair service that will fill in the few chips you have now. Then go with the 3M clear bra material over the front of the car.

Is there a problem with the bumper as well? I did like the link for the Armorglove site...nice setup and much better than Stonguard or Xpel.
Old 05-16-03, 06:49 AM
Deanski
Driver

Lightbulb AmorGlove

For those that did not see the ArmorGlove site, here is the link:

ArmorGlove

Regards,
Deanski
Old 05-16-03, 11:49 AM
ISDINGDONG
Rookie

i recently purchase a new gs300 sport design and already have two rockchips on the front hood.
in just two weeks, got rockchips already
WTF!!. a kia or hundai don't even chipped this easy, i've owned previous toyotas and my last car is a lexus 02' is300 and it didn't seem to have this problem. lexus need to offer some remedy at least apply some type of paint protection for free for he new cars.