Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Antenna Replacement NOT Certified

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-03, 10:57 AM
bberisford
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Antenna Replacement NOT Certified

My auto antenna quit working, stuck in the 'up' position. Antenna motor OK. Lexus dealer advised antenna replacement isn't covered under Certified program, unless entire assembly, including motor, needs replaced. $192 outta' my pocket. OUCH !!

Barry B
Old 06-11-03, 04:13 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow. $192?? Yeah, stereo stuff is almost never covered.
Old 06-11-03, 06:43 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Antenna

antenna
Hey guys Im pretty sure you can only change the antenna if you want it. and it will only cost you about $30.00.I have done it for a lots cars a lots of Toyotas Avalon,Camrys, Nissans altimas and maximas is a little tricky but u guys can do it first take out the old antenna out the base and then turn on radio so the antenna comes out and pull it out its going to look a metal piece with a white plastic piece that looks like teeth.then make sure that you unplug the power antenna at this point so that when you buy the new one u put it in and u plug the power back on it pulls it back into place . p.s make sure u open the bottom of the antenna "base"o you can take out the old and broken pieces
Old 06-11-03, 09:10 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Antenna Replacement NOT Certified

Originally posted by bberisford
My auto antenna quit working, stuck in the 'up' position. Antenna motor OK. Lexus dealer advised antenna replacement isn't covered under Certified program, unless entire assembly, including motor, needs replaced. $192 outta' my pocket. OUCH !!

Barry B
Hmmm, for a small fee I'll take care of the entire assembly for you!
Old 06-12-03, 12:43 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's called replacing the "Antenna Mast" only.
It's far cheaper then replacing the entire Antenna assembly.
Old 06-13-03, 11:18 AM
bberisford
Driver School Candidate

Angry

I'm frustrated that the Lexus of Certified Warranties didn't cover this!

Barry
Old 06-13-03, 11:39 AM
lcc014
Driver

When you replace the mast, make sure that you noted the direction of the "teeth" facing when the old mast was coming out of the antenna unit. You insert the new mast in the same way as the old mast came out, and insert it as much as you can. Then turn off the radio. The antenna motor will suck the new mast down. It may take several tries to make the antenna motor grep the mast's teeth. Once it greps, it will pull the new mast down.

Ching-Ho Cheng
Old 06-13-03, 02:32 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Antenna

Icc014 is right , but just remember sometimes you got the broken pieces inside so if it doesn't get all the way down you have to open the bottom part or the motor.
Old 06-16-03, 06:25 AM
Mrood18
Driver School Candidate

Default Just when you think you're alone...

I'm glad to see someone else is having this problem. Don't get me wrong...I'm not happy about anyone's troubles...but seeing that someone else is going through the same dilema(s) makes it easier to deal with...can we all sing coom-by-ya now...haha!!

Anyway, I was having a grinding sound emitting from the antenna. I replaced the mast but still had the grinding noise. I had to resort to opening the antenna unit and plunder through the gears. What I found was one of my gears was missing two teeth, hence "skipping" the gears and grinding the teeth of the mast. I tried the Toyota dealer, Lexus dealer and autoparts stores and NO ONE will sell the blessed single gear I need. I either have to replace the unit or look at a salvage yard. Anyone have any other suggestions or know of a guy who knows a guy whose fifth cousin on his mom's side twice removed works in the auto business and can sell one? Thanks!!!
Old 06-16-03, 09:08 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Just when you think you're alone...

Originally posted by Mrood18
I'm glad to see someone else is having this problem. Don't get me wrong...I'm not happy about anyone's troubles...but seeing that someone else is going through the same dilema(s) makes it easier to deal with...can we all sing coom-by-ya now...haha!!

Anyway, I was having a grinding sound emitting from the antenna. I replaced the mast but still had the grinding noise. I had to resort to opening the antenna unit and plunder through the gears. What I found was one of my gears was missing two teeth, hence "skipping" the gears and grinding the teeth of the mast. I tried the Toyota dealer, Lexus dealer and autoparts stores and NO ONE will sell the blessed single gear I need. I either have to replace the unit or look at a salvage yard. Anyone have any other suggestions or know of a guy who knows a guy whose fifth cousin on his mom's side twice removed works in the auto business and can sell one? Thanks!!!

when my antenna stopped functining, i opened it up and the main gear (wheel looking one) teeth and the feeder line teeth (line from antenna) were stripped very badly. if it was just the antenna one, i couldve replaced that itself......Mrood18, are you missing teeth on the main gear?
Old 06-16-03, 10:45 AM
Mrood18
Driver School Candidate

Default Main gear

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately or maybe fortunately the main, large gear is still very functional and intact. The gear that has teeth missing is the small gear above and to the left of the main gear. Just a small 1/2" to 3/4" gear. Amazing how no one will sell this little gear (ie autoparts and dealerships...). If you know someone who has this gear I'd greatly appreciate it. THANKS!!