Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Resetting the 'Check Engine" indicator on a GS400

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-03, 06:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,388 Posts
Default Resetting the 'Check Engine" indicator on a GS400

I've searched for an answer to this and can't seem to find it... How do I reset the check engine light on my 98 GS?

In NC, there is a new law that requires that there be no error codes on newer cars when they do a state inspection which really sucks for me since mine has been on for quite some time. Neither the dealer nor I have been able to diagnose the problem and several folks with the older SRT setup like me experience that same check engine light issue. I've learned to live with it as it doesn't seem to be a real issue with the car - just a random code tripping it - and I just put a piece of black electrical tape over the light.

With this new way of inspection I was informed that if the technician's scanner picks up ANY codes regardless of emmisions he will have to fail the car. There may be some ways around it. 96 to 2000 models can have 2 unset readiness codes, 2001 and above can only have one. The catch is, if you disconnect the battery or clear all codes you can drive the car enough to reset just enough codes to pass the test (given it's not more than the allowed amount) it should pass the test. The state recently changed the test for some cars(mostly foreign) to not test for readiness codes so you may be able to reset right before and pass.

http://www.dmv.dot.state.nc.us/enfor...tions/faq.html

Bottom line, I need to reset the ECU just before going in to get my inspection. Pulling the ECU fuse doesn't do it, does it require a special tool to clear the reset codes or is there another method?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-03, 07:09 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 suggestions:

-Find an "easier" emission check place, import tunner shops around town may know hint hint
-did you try to put the factory intake back on?
if SRT is the cause, then this should fix it. Look at the schematic diagram of SRT, you just need to unplug the SRT chip module and SHORT 2 wires together which will totally BYPASS the ECU and put you back to factory setting.

the problem you have is the CHECK_ENG keep comming back, so w/o knowing the cause, it gonna come back at anytime.

2 fuses: 25A EFI and 15A ETCS
these are the ONLY live power to the ECU that I can see, pulling these 2 must be equivalent the remove batt, assuming they store the code in the main ECU
Give it a try and let me know.

Good luck dude

Anh
Old 06-13-03, 07:47 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You need the scan tool to read or clear the code on your car. Dave, may be stop by at Lexus dealer and ask them to hook up the scan tool to check the code or clear it for you. Disconnect the battery or pull the EFI fuse may not help, because some of the code will store in the ECM(called hard code) unless you clear it with scan tool.
Old 06-13-03, 08:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks Anh. Not sure if it's the intake or the TC, could be either one unfortunately.

Unfortunately the local guys I know don't have good suggestions of shops, they've really cracked down on the places with looser regulations and the new requirements to have the testing equipment mean that only the larger shops can afford to do the inspections.

After the dealer has reset it in the past, I can usually drive for 1/2 day before it pops back on again... so if I can reset it, I'll probably be OK (I hope).

I don't recall the removing the battery resets the light, will try that too - but think it must be something else to clear the codes.
Old 06-13-03, 08:11 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks Nuum - do you know if there is a "poor man's" version of that tool that I can buy to clear the code anywhere? What would it be called, an OBDII scanner?
Old 06-13-03, 09:30 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I will check around Dave and ask the tool guys. I know Snap-On and Mac tool made some of those scan tool and less expensive that the one we used at the dealer which is cost us about $3,000.00. The one at the dealer is made by Vetronix Corp. Good luck on the inspection, same here in Atlanta if the car has the check engine light on they not even inspect it.
Old 06-13-03, 09:30 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

remove the Battery did not remove the code?
That is weird, I reset the code the last time I checked. Unless the error part is posting another error,
removing the battery WILL wipe all the error code.

you don't need ODB tool to clear it, use this tool if you don't want to lose your seat/radio MEM settings