Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

2003 Lexus IS300 Front Wheel Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-17, 07:51 AM
alamau01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Lexus IS300 Front Wheel Noise

Hello,

It has been approximately a month since I bought my 2003 Lexus IS300. Ever since the purchase of my car, I have been getting an unusual noise (like old wooden floor noise) coming from the left driver-side wheel and I can only hear the noise between 15-25 mph and when mostly when I am parking my car or taking my car out of the parking lot. There is also a scraping noise that I hear from my passenger-side front wheel after replacing my OEM brakes with aftermarket (Powerstop) brake pads and rotors. Can someone please help me with this issue. I have been to my mechanic several times over the past few days, but he keeps telling me to wait and that the scraping noise will eventually disappear. I am not really sure how to fix this and I am very lost at this point.

Best regards,
Abrar Alam
Old 12-06-17, 08:17 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,179 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Welcome to CL. If you post this to the IS forum you will get more visibility and responses. This maintenance forum is not visited often. Your model forum is the place for these types of questions.
Being a shade tree mechanic who does all my own brake jobs, I think you need a better mechanic.

Did he clean your brake calipers and lube the slide pins when replacing your pads? Did he re-use the old backing plates to maintain the proper spacing and did he use brake lube between the backing plates and the back of the brake pads? All are part of a thorough brake job. Did he check for a stuck or frozen caliper? Did he bleed the brakes? The scraping noise could be from any of the things mentioned above or just new pads breaking in. He could have bent a dust shield that is now rubbing on something and you can only hear it at low speed because at higher speed it is covered by other noises.
Check the Power Stop web page to see if they have a break in or burnishing procedure to follow for new pads.
I trust your mechanic ruled out a bad wheel bearing. but that is another consideration.
Old 12-06-17, 08:49 AM
alamau01
Driver School Candidate

Hi. Thank you so much for your time and for your advice. He did reuse the old backing plates and check for stuck calipers, he mentioned that my calipers are very rusty as far as I believe. But other than that he just asked me to wait a few days as new brakes have a break in point. I set up appointments with GoodYear and our local Lexus dealership. I’m not sure if it’s a good idea
Old 12-07-17, 07:10 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,179 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Did you get dimpled and/or slotted rotors? If so, be advised they are much louder than regular smooth rotors due to noise generated as the pads go over the dimples and slots. You may just be hearing a new to you but normal noise.
Read the break in procedure on the Power Stop site linked here https://www.powerstop.com/support/
Old 12-07-17, 07:43 AM
alamau01
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I actually got both drilled and slotted rotors.