Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Help::A/C Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-03, 04:18 PM
csmooth79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help::A/C Problems

I have a 93 SC400 with 137k on it, my ac didnt work when I got it, but the prob is that I have replaced the condenser, receiver/dryer, main liquid line, and now the ac shop is saying I need a pressure regulator valve and I am getting frustrated, I have invested over 1200 dollars and now it is looking like it needs more, should I keep going or try to sell the car, have to do something money is running low, anyone know of a sc that is being parted out? Near DE? any suggestions. or is the shop just taking my money?
Old 07-08-03, 05:47 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

what is the ac doing? is the shop reputable? sometimes A/C can really be a hassle, but chances are that the seller found out what was wrong with it, and the accompanying bill and decided to sell it. I would try to contact seller to see if they know, but this is all conjecture. Good luck with it.
Old 07-08-03, 06:21 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

yeah you had better contact the old seller and ask them about some stuff...it would greatly help you!

CEO
Old 07-09-03, 05:00 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

WHats wrong w/ the ac?

Check the compressor....since you've replaced just about everything else. Have you looked into electrical issues?
Old 07-09-03, 12:24 PM
csmooth79
Driver School Candidate

The a/c currently does nothing and the guy goes to test the pressure he is getting a small leak now at the pressure regulator that is near the firewall. 178.61 list price and he says between 2.8-4.6 hours labor before he begins to service the system. The thing im thinking is it even worth it anymore to keep pouring money into this, I have invested the 1700 dollars and it keeps going up and then the system may not work anyway. Anyone want a 93 sc400 with 137k b/o? Love the car but it seems it may be the death of me.
Old 07-09-03, 01:21 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

hang in there!

CEO
Old 07-09-03, 01:35 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude sorry to hear all the problems... I almost sold my SC a while back... now looking back I can't imagine how much I would have regreted it if I did.....

If you are looking to get parts... you should contact some of the vendors of this forum.. they can probably give you a price break on the parts at least....

My condenser was leaking at one time and ended up getting one from www.car-parts.com. It was used but came with 1 year warranty. It was shipped promptly and it works great and it was in great shape.. I would ring some of the guy up there to source the parts....

good luck...

Last edited by VSsc400; 07-09-03 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-09-03, 05:25 PM
Enigma
Driver School Candidate

Just redid the A/C on mine -- replaced the compressor, the drier, and (here's what I think is probably up with yours) the expansion valve -- while they were in there replacing your condenser they probably should have replaced the expansion valve too.

It is a pain to get to... It's by the firewall, but on the inside, connected to the condenser on the passenger side. You have to take out the glove compartment, then the large trim panel below the glove compartment, then a large stamped metal piece that's under that panel. It's also easier at that point to pull up the carpet a bit down in the footwell, and take out the large ABS piece that protects all your computer stuff. Umm, from memory, then you have to take out the vent crossover and another metal crossover piece, and you should see the condenser.

Then, from the engine side of the firewall, you have to disconnect the expansion valve from the rest of the system, then from inside the car again, pull the condenser. (Be careful, the copper tube from the expansion valve that goes through the firewall is pretty delicate. Easier to have a person on either side of the firewall at this point.) You'll see the expansion valve attached to the condenser, once you get it out.

Your shop is probably pretty accurate on the time estimation on that one -- it took me about four hours to replace it and get everything back together, and I'm an amateur. The good news is, if they truly replaced your condenser, they should remember how to get in there again.

Did quite a bit of research on here before doing the A/C, and the general consensus was that the expansion valve is something that often is the problem. While you're at it, you might want to replace the compressor too, even if it's not locked up... I believe that was where the initial leak was that led me down the A/C road. At the very least, reach down in there and make sure you can spin the compressor by hand.

Good luck!
Old 07-16-03, 08:51 AM
csmooth79
Driver School Candidate

Cool

FINALLY!!! It works, sorry for taking so long, but it just got finished friday and was having some problems trying to post, but thank the lord it works. Still feels like to car likes to sweat heat through the carpet , but I have
air. Thanks to everyone for their support. Looks like I will keep it anyway and get a new bike. 2001 Honda CBR 929RR.
Old 07-16-03, 09:20 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so...what was it?

hehe, CBR 929 is another one of those nice bikes.....that i can't push backwards (reverse) in cuz i'm too short. leaning to reverse ain't fun.
Old 07-17-03, 10:46 AM
csmooth79
Driver School Candidate

The problem ended up being the regulator valve 167.43 (4.5hr labor quote) ( close to the firewall, but in the engine side) it has been hinted that the guy may have messed up connection when installing the line, but lol I have a/c and he didnt charge me double as he had to remove this again to replace the line. He cut time by going in the bottom and not removing the trac and abs modules ( burned his arm on exhaust :-), sike dont want to hurt anyone). Trusted him and we are on our way. Bad news rear left caliper pin froze, and burned outside pad up, cut rotor so deep have to replace. I just dont have any luck. New bike to ride though :-).