Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Oil Light warning QUESTION?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-03, 10:50 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Light warning QUESTION?

My car has 37,000 miles on it. I did an oil change on Dec 24,2002. Now the car bascially sits around and I only use about 50 miles per week. Then when I hit the gas pedal the light is gone but as soon as I stop the light comes back on. I checked the fliter and the pan and no leaks which I would proabaly notice because I park it on my white driveway and theres never any stains. I checked the dipstick and it was at the bottom mark so I added 1 quart and restarted it and I had the same problem. But when I checked the dipstick again it was fine after I added the 1 quart. I am curious if maybe it needs more. Do you know when the light comes on?How many quarts must it be down for it to go on? Well I think I am just going to get an oil change and hopefully it will slove the problem. Does anyone know the reason for why when I hit the pedal the light goes off? Is that a good sign? Thanks for any feedback
Old 07-09-03, 09:02 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Here is an update. I took the car in and the guy told me I need to get the oil flushed out because it proabaly is really sludged and dirty because I don't change the oil as offten as I should. It's been 7 months since it's last change but only 4,500 miles ,so I understand. He also said I might have cloged a sensor and that might have to be replaced. Does this sound rite? Also when the car sat all nite I drove it to the dealer which is about only 7 miles away and the light never came on. He told me because the oil wasn't that hot? I called another dealer for a second idea and he told me it just might be the sensor. But since the last few years I been waiting a while to change it I think the flush is a good idea! I hope it works I am picking it up at 5pm. Hes charging 150 for the flush and the if I need the sensor its 20 plus 80 for labor. Worst comes to worst it will be 250. This def will not happen again I was plain old lazy. I was just curious if he was correct on what it was. Because I don't have any leaks so it can't be coming on because of low oil.
Old 07-09-03, 09:14 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was this at a dealer? If not, I would consider it.
Old 07-09-03, 09:27 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Yup it was the dealer and then I called another dealer and he told me it;s proabaly just the sensor because I don't think he understood how the oil was not changed that often. I just don't get why it when it;s cold the light doesn't go on and why only when I hit the gas the light goes off? Could it be because when you idle the rpms are low so it's hard to move around dirty sludged oil which causes the light to go on and do you think by hitting the gas the high rpms move it easier and thats why the light goes off? Just though that a now! Could be wrong! thanks
Old 07-09-03, 09:36 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by purebliss
Could it be because when you idle the rpms are low so it's hard to move around dirty sludged oil...
Still sounds sketchy. 4500 mi isn't that long; I think the reccommended interval in the OM is like 7k, or 3k if "special operating conditions".

I would ask if you could get a warranty claim out of it. Not sure if this is considered the drivetrain though.

I'm moving to Maintenance so a Tech can likely add their .02
Old 07-11-03, 05:37 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's still under powertrain warranty 6 years/70k. I think your oil pick up screen is clogged up.