Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Stock Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 05:42 PM
Higuma
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stock Brake Rotors

Sorry for the rather simple question...

Are the stock front and rear brake rotors on my 96 LS400 - floating??...

In other words, if I pull wheels and calipers will the rotors simply come off with a minor massage or are they non-floaters meaning fixed or fastened from behind necessitating a hub disassembly???

Thanks in advance, I just bought my 96 Celsior ( LS400 ) with 75,000 kms and would like to replace pads and have the rotors turned before the annual inspection and was wondering if I could accomplish this easily in my driveway??

Any tricks or tips that I need to know would be appreciated...

Cheers from Japan...
Old 07-14-03, 05:53 PM
Higuma
Driver

Sorry -

Just realized I should have posted this to the tire - wheel - brake forum...

Re-posted there...

Cheers
Old 07-15-03, 03:43 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes they're just pull off from the hubs. On the front, the little cut on the pads have to go down.
Old 07-15-03, 05:08 PM
Higuma
Driver

Thanks WT-i,

By cut do you mean that the pads have a bevel or relief cut in them or... are they grooved to relieve dust / squealing???

I would also assume that the rotors might have those little spring clips that fit over the wheel stud to hold them in place a little ? or does the rim and caliper simply hold them in place ??

Cheers,

BTW - if you ever need a source in Japan for something then let me know, I am in Sapporo, not Tokyo, but the automotive guys are fairly good here....
Old 07-16-03, 08:35 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Nippondenso

Hey Higuma,

Welcome to the forum. Do they have new Nippondenso 10PA20C air conditioning compressors available in Japan? In the states it is only possible to obtain re-manufactured units.

thanks, damon
Old 07-16-03, 03:21 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Higuma
Thanks WT-i,

By cut do you mean that the pads have a bevel or relief cut in them or... are they grooved to relieve dust / squealing???

I would also assume that the rotors might have those little spring clips that fit over the wheel stud to hold them in place a little ? or does the rim and caliper simply hold them in place ??

Cheers,

BTW - if you ever need a source in Japan for something then let me know, I am in Sapporo, not Tokyo, but the automotive guys are fairly good here....
Higuma, those little cut on the front pads are for directional of the wheels turning and it help stop some of the noise. You will see when you get the new one.
Thanks for the offer on the source in Japan, but becareful because your PM box might fill up pretty quick from all the requests.
Old 07-16-03, 05:58 PM
LexFather

Thanks for the offer on the source in Japan, but becareful because your PM box might fill up pretty quick from all the requests
LIKE ME!!!
Old 07-23-03, 04:35 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brakes/Rotors

Remove the calipers, then there are two philips screws that hold on the rotors, that 's it ( don't put any crossed drilled rotors on this car or you will be in for trouble !........Trust Me) Brembo makes a great stock replacement and there are very little money.......I have the crossed drilled I took off if you want them for FREE!!!!!!!!!!!