Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

UNREASONABLE Cost for 30k service

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-03 | 04:11 PM
TeCKis300
Driver

Default UNREASONABLE Cost for 30k service

Well...I've done my research and expected my 30k service to run aroung $350ish and no more than $400 at the local dealer. Ideally, it would be $250 or less at Longo Lexus from what my research tells me, but I'm in San Diego and figured it wasn't worth my time to go all the way to Longo.

Now get this....I went to Carlsbad Lexus and guess what they want. SIX HUNDRED FRIGGEN DOLLARS to do the 30k. I was shocked. And I told the service advisor that Longo wants only $298. I asked the service advisor to break down the items and costs and he wasn't even willing to do that. How could they possibly justify service that is TWICE the cost of an already inflated service cost at another Lexus dealer? Of course, I walked away.

Sorry...just had to vent.

Guys, it pays to shop around. Just some info for though:
Kearny Mesa Lexus wants $490
El Cajon Lexus wants $505
Longo Lexus $298

So even though it's an inconvenience, I'm off to Longo. Fortunately, my parents live in that area so I'll just get it serviced while I visit them.
Old 07-30-03 | 05:51 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

The same service may cost more at another dealer than another one, but you have to look at the fine line of what they've done. For example, one dealer will do the alignment, AC filter, wiper inserts/rubbers and some more and another dealer will do it at minimum to get the customer in.
If both dealers do the same thing and the price is 100% off then go to another dealer.
Or you can tell the advisor what do you want to do with your car. I mean, you can chop it up the way you wanted it.On my car, I will tell them, I want transmission, coolant, diff. and check brakes, that's it. Why?, because my tires is staggered, aftermarket K&N air filter, and don't worry about infector clean, ohh my alignment was done when I installed the L-tuned suspension....and so on.
Old 08-06-03 | 03:34 PM
cyber_man

I just did my 60K maintenance on my LS400. I called Keys Lexus, Cerritos, Southbay, and among other dealership, to ask them to fax me the itemized service list for this 60K maintenance along with a price. I then picked the most complete list to get a best price. I ended up taking my car to a private but Toyota certified mechanic to do the maintenance for $400. I bought the transmission fluid from Cerritos Toyota with the same Lexus part number.

This service included transmission fluide replacement, brake fluide replacement, rear differential replacement, coolant flush, power steering (I think..not sure), air filter replacement, spark plugs, and timing belt replacement.

I don't think there is a standard 30K or 60K maintenance service definition between all the dealerships, although there is one printed in your owner's manual. So...need to shop around for a best job.

Last edited by cyber_man; 08-06-03 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-11-03 | 01:50 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

WOW those prices seem so high to me. At MEADE LEXUS of SOUTHFIELD it's free as long as your car is under warranty.
Old 08-11-03 | 04:44 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

my 30k service cost me around $220 at Longo. I just did 60k service which was around $250 at Longo.
Old 08-11-03 | 05:32 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
my 30k service cost me around $220 at Longo. I just did 60k service which was around $250 at Longo.
Those are great prices (although the free one is unheard of, at least by me ). Can you list what they did for the 60k?
Old 08-12-03 | 07:27 AM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

There are only two Lexus dealerships in MN and both owned by the same group. 30K mile service is $699. It is more expensive than my other Japanese cars but I am not surprised. It is great that you can find lower price in CA.
Old 08-12-03 | 10:05 AM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by gs400998
It is great that you can find lower price in CA.
Although the prices in CA may be a little lower (if that's really true), the Longo price is atypical of any dealership I've been to.
Old 08-12-03 | 09:05 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

simple, cut the costs of your major services by doing what you can by yourself.

ie, air filter, oil and filter, change wipers, spark plugs if you can............do what you know. Leave the rest.
This will save on parts, fluids and most of all..their time ($$$$).

steviej
Old 08-18-03 | 01:25 PM
fever
Lead Lap

You think that's bad. Just wait until you hit 90K if you still have your baby. Holy moly.
Old 08-25-03 | 09:02 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Well, I'm slowly creeping up towards that 90k mark. Can anyone list what needs to be done at 90k? I know the major one being the timing belt. Anything else?
Old 09-01-03 | 11:07 PM
Triton
Driver School Candidate

Angry WOW, all this info is really depressing

I just bought my RX300 a few months ago and from reading all this info on totally different prices and services, I am a little concerned. I thought A luxury line like Lexus would be more proffesional and have a standard or a more uniform way of doing things.
Well at least I am REALLY looking forward to my "FREE" 5,000 oil change
but this $250 -$600 price range for 30 and 60K is not something I am looking forward too.
Although I did a little pricing b4 I bought my car and Lexus of Santa Monica seemed to be the cheapest and Longo from what I was told will come out to YOU for small services (office or home) and for big ones, will bring you a loaner and take yours from your home or office. I don't know if thats only if you bought it from them or just to use their service.

But $50 for an oil change isn't bad, since you get a complete car wash, they top off all the fluids and check a bunch of other stuff.

My only question is, the service booklet says oil changes at 5k or 7.5k, I do not do much highway, %90 city driving, so is it a bad idea to do it around 5.5 or 6k?

Sean
Old 09-08-03 | 05:12 AM
Kbach
Pole Position

That depends on the distance/time of your city driving. If it's less than 5 miles to work, you probably aren't getting the engine fully warmed. In that case, you should keep with the more frequent oil changes.
Old 09-22-03 | 10:14 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

My theory on all of this is that with the exception of the oil changes, you can just about double the milage points that they tell you to do everything at the dealer. In other words do your 15k service at 30k, 30k at 60k, 45k at 90k, 60k at 120k, and 90k at 180k.

I'd be willing to bet a significant amount of money that very very very few people (like less than 1 percent) would notice any difference in how long their cars last or how much trouble they have out of them. Even then it would be pretty minor.
Old 09-22-03 | 04:48 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by cyber_man
I just did my 60K maintenance on my LS400. I called Keys Lexus, Cerritos, Southbay, and among other dealership, to ask them to fax me the itemized service list for this 60K maintenance along with a price. I then picked the most complete list to get a best price. I ended up taking my car to a private but Toyota certified mechanic to do the maintenance for $400. I bought the transmission fluid from Cerritos Toyota with the same Lexus part number.

This service included transmission fluide replacement, brake fluide replacement, rear differential replacement, coolant flush, power steering (I think..not sure), air filter replacement, spark plugs, and timing belt replacement.

I don't think there is a standard 30K or 60K maintenance service definition between all the dealerships, although there is one printed in your owner's manual. So...need to shop around for a best job.
That $400 does it includes parts?

Quick Reply: UNREASONABLE Cost for 30k service