Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Maintenance Service Pricing - Lexus VS. Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-03, 01:32 AM
mjxremy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Maintenance Service Pricing - Lexus VS. Mercedes

I'm trying to woo my dad over to buy a new Lexus instead of an E-class and he's telling me that Lexus has higher maintenance costs than Mercedes. I was just wondering if anyone could clear the air for that cause I would think that German cars would be a lot more than Japanese.

Would anyone suggest to take their lexus to a third party servicer?

And by the way would anyone know a link to where I could find that list of initial quality surveys or something like that. It shows Lexus on top and Mercedes dropping down.

I need all the proof I can get so I can get hi mto buy a Lexus instead of a Mercedes.

Thanks
Old 08-07-03, 04:15 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe maintenance for a certain period of time is included with new Mercedes, so in that regard, you're going to be paying a lot more for Lexus service during that time period.

You should just call up your local dealers and find out their prices. Prices can vary by dealer, whether Lexus or Mercedes. And Mercedes' use synthetic oil, so oil change costs should be higher.

Lexus has a much better reliability record, so this would come into play if he's planning to keep the car beyond the covered maintenance period and/or warranty period.
Old 08-07-03, 04:43 PM
LexFather

Default Mercedes, Surprisingly, Trails Chrysler in Durability Survey

Welcome to Clublexus.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=90951

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...rcedes+quality

Use the Search feature, I typed in Mercedes and Quality
Old 08-07-03, 04:46 PM
LexFather

German cars crash down motorists' reliability league for reliability
By Matthew Beard

07 August 2003

The German motor industry's proud reputation for reliability suffered a serious setback yesterday when research revealed that its prestigious makes were increasingly likely to suffer mechanical failure.

Models built by Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen are now more likely to let down their owners than Fords and most Japanese models, a study by Which? magazine found.

Authors of the biggest consumer study of its kind said reliability was suffering on some German models as manufacturers extended their range and sophisticated electrics suffered teething troubles.

Feedback from the drivers of almost 33,000 cars up to eight years old found that those least likely to need repairs were Japanese. Five of the top seven names in the "best" category were Japanese: Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota and Lexus, a Toyota marque.

For the first time, using the current methodology, a German car manufacturer has fallen into the lowest category. VW, which uses the advertising slogan "If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen", was previously rated "average" but has fallen into the "poor" category this year. The reliability of mainstay models such as the Golf, Polo and Passat may have suffered as VW diversified into more prestigious brands such as the £68,000 Phaeton limousine and the £50,000 Touareg off-roader, Which? said.

Mercedes Benz, the most reliable European brand in the past two years, dropped the furthest of German car makers in the past year, according to Which? readers, whose responses saw the make demoted two categories from "best" to "average". Cars produced since 2001 have let it down with poor scores for breakdowns, faults and minor problems, the report said.

Audi cars were also downgraded from "good" to "average", the category also occupied by BMW, which still has a poor breakdown rate.

During the same period Ford cars have risen in the estimation of their owners from "average" in terms of reliability to "good", especially for the Focus, Fiesta and Mondeo.

Research suggested that popular models were becoming less reliable as manufacturers extended their range of makes or were involved in takeovers.

Richard Headland, senior researcher at the Consumers' Association, said: "The big German manufacturers are still average, but the trend for them is going the wrong way. Among various factors are consolidation when a company takes on new brands and globalisation, which means that parts are sourced from all over the world."

The Automobile Association's Motoring Trust said car reliability had improved dramatically since 20 years ago when serious problems such as engine failure and seized gearboxes were more common.

John Stubbs, head of technical policy, said: "The problems tend to be smaller and less critical, and as consumers we are more ready to complain."

Helen Parker, editor of Which?, said: "Brands are built on a promise, for example that they will deliver consistently a certain level of quality or value. If customers see through the promise or find it's been broken, it can be the worst possible news for a brand. Our survey reveals the first robust evidence of bad news for some of the biggest car brands in the world."
Old 08-10-03, 10:14 AM
cheapsk8
Driver

I think what really hurt the MB reputation was the M-class. Not sure what % but I think most of the car was built in America not Germany where it should have been. The earlier M models had a lot of problems, not sure about the new ones, but it does still bother me that it isn't mainly German product, hence the slight Ford Exploreresque resemblence. A lot of the German cars in general now are only 70-85% German origin.

As far as Lexus goes I think that they are somewhat overpriced, you get more bang for the buck out of a bimmer or a merc. This is especially true on the entry models of all of these manufacturers, the ES 300 base price is a couple thousand higher than a 325i or an A4 and slightly higher than a C-230 oa a 325ix. The Lexus does have more interior room than these other models which I like, but unfortunately it lacks a lot of the covenience and safety features that are standard issue on the Germans.

-chris
Old 08-10-03, 07:43 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

cheapsk8 - Lexus overpriced? How can you compare a 325i or c230 to an ES300. Compare the ES vs a 330i and C320 or whatever competitors V-6 than let's talk. If anything mercedes and bmw's are overpriced with no real reason to be. I really have no clue what those models cost , but i do know that a GS 300 is 10,000 less than a E320 and is better than the E .

GETTING BACK TO THE THREAD

It's true mercedes does provide maintenance, but there's a catch. First , it's only provided for the first 4 years and secondly, it's at 8000-7000 miles. When you were paying for maintenance they recommended oil changes at 5000 miles , but now since the dealer is paying for oil changes its 8000 miles....hmmmmmm.

Lexus oil changes are recommended at 5000 miles. You can pay 35.00 for a basic oil change or about 110.00 for the oil change service , which includes oil change and a host of other services.

Your dad should take a long test drive in both cars before buying . Talk to the service advisors as well.

My dad has recently brought a 2003 E320 and there is nothing special about it. For the 10,000 more he paid for the Merc, he could have brought a GS 300 and used the 10k on maintenance and mods if he chose to.

Only reason he brought the merc is because of the once glorious name it had.

If your dad does decide to buy the E320, tell him to be prepared to wash the wheels alot. Brake dust is a huge problem with the new Mercs!
Old 08-12-03, 02:52 PM
cheapsk8
Driver

Smile

The comparisons were based on entry level cars from each manufacturer. If the ES were available in quattro not fwd i think they would be more fairly priced......Another thing that bothers me is the fact than an ES is simply a gussied up Camry. The differences between TOYATA and their LEX counterparts does not quite demand the extra cost they are charging........but then again maybe its just the letter ' L' that's expensive!
But all in all I think Lex's are good cars, I'm happy with my ES and I'm sure whatever car you choose will work just fine!
-chris